The Dark Mod Forums

Noisemaker Concepts

god_is_my_goldfish

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YEs the twisted one, though I'm not sure how much noise a few little ball bearings would make. How abut we use fireworks instead. THey have been around for 1000 years. Shhoot off a firework, which make both light and noise on impact.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

How abut we use fireworks instead. THey have been around for 1000 years. Shhoot off a firework, which make both light and noise on impact.

no, No, NO!

NO Fireworks. That was SO ridicolous(sp?) in T3. And it also isn't very realistic. :)

The noise arrows, always emitted that kind of hypnotic sound, where I thought that would be the reason why any guard would investigate at all. In case of fireworks I would really wonder why a guard would investigate at the arrow location. It should know that this is the work of an introduder immediately.

Gerhard

One thing I never considered when I came up with this concept was that while it works well for marble or stone floors, it doesn't work so well on grass or carpet.

:(

no, No, NO!

NO Fireworks. That was SO ridicolous(sp?) in T3. And it also isn't very realistic. :)

The noise arrows, always emitted that kind of hypnotic sound, where I thought that would be the reason why any guard would investigate at all. In case of fireworks I would really wonder why a guard would investigate at the arrow location. It should know that this is the work of an introduder immediately.

Well that's where oyu;re wrong you see. Firework are both realistic and tecnically acurate.

Let's compare them to this current ball bearing contraption.

1 - ball bearings falling out of an arrow would make about as much nosie as an asthmatic ant.

2 - even if there were a guard with superhearing close enough to hear it, he's discover this contraption and know for sure that something suspicious was going on.

Fireworks, on the other hand would:

1 - definitely make the required amount of noise

2 - the guards could think it was some kids setting it off for a joke, and not necessarily think the worst - after all, what kind of thief would set off fireworks?

Tbhey would still have to investigate it though, it's their job. The whole point of the exercise is to attract the guards attention without letting them know you're a thief with noisemaker arrows trying to distract them

Flawless you see, now let's have some real arguments against it rather than 'I think it's silly'

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Flawless you see, now let's have some real arguments against it rather than 'I think it's silly'

Christ, we've been over this more times now than the lightgem.

Do we need to re-open this issue too now?

Those who don't like noise arrows can throw pebbles. Those people who like noise arrows voted down fireworks as an option. They wanted something simple and semi-mechanical. A small clockwork box on the end would be fine. I suggested the ball bearing idea to GIMG because ball-bearings rolling on marble floors make a nice clattering sound that a guard would investigate. Unfortunately, I forgot to think about how ineffective they would be on carpet or soft surfaces.

HE would have as many fireworks with him as noisemaker arrows. There's no difference.

Just as long as it's clear that fireworks are the best solution to the problem, but we're going with nosiemaker arrows ;)

- Emil Zola

character models site

I came up with it early on and only you and I seemed to support it. It went off into a mad thing about magic arrows, mechanical ones and other tomfoolery. I think an arrow that breaks loudly when it hits something is the most workable and realistic one, but hey, not that that ever has changed anyone's mind. :rolleyes:

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

I came up with it early on and only you and I seemed to support it. It went off into a mad thing about magic arrows, mechanical ones and other tomfoolery. I think an arrow that breaks loudly when it hits something is the most workable and realistic one, but hey, not that that ever has changed anyone's mind. :rolleyes:

I liked that idea as well.

Well that's where oyu;re wrong you see. Firework are both realistic and tecnically acurate.

Don't come again with realism. NONE of these arrows is realistic, apart from the broadhead, so don't start talking as if a noise arrow with firework would be realistic. It isnt.

Let's compare them to this current ball bearing contraption.

That's where you are wrong. :) I never said that I'm in favour of the ball bearing arrow. I'm not. For me it would be enough if we say that the noise arrow is a [magic] arrow which produces a hypnotic sound which will cause the AI to get distracted. It doesn't really matter anyway, but IMO that is the least problematic explanation because nobody can argue against this. If you start on trying to exaplain a noisemaker arrow on realistic basis, then you get in all kind of discussions which are pointless.

2 - even if there were a guard with superhearing close enough to hear it, he's discover this contraption and know for sure that something suspicious was going on.

And if there were a firework they would NEVER suspect that. B) They would say "OOHH! What a nice firework that is. There sure is somebody who wants to make us enjoy our work, what a lovely idea!"

2 - the guards could think it was some  kids setting it off for a joke, and not necessarily think the worst - after all, what kind of thief would set off fireworks?

So any guard, working for some time in their job and is still alive, would see this fireworks the first time? Evdn though it is standard thief equipment?

I see. Flawless. Yes. :)

Gerhard

Yes, flawless. None of your 'arguments' make any sense, as I'm about to point out..

An arrow with a firework attacthed is perfectly realistic and workable. anyone could make one in 5 minties if they had an ordinary arrow and the right kind of firework.

Light the firework, shoot the arrow, distract the guard.

THey would be suspicious enough to investigate (which is exactly what you want) but would not come to the conclusion that a thief was responsible - why would they?

It isn't 'standard' thief equipment, it's unique to our thief. Other thieves use those silly noisemaker arrows, which a guard can spot without thinking abut it.

Our clever thief wants to get away from the idea of using anything too complex and manufactured - that would only arouse suspicion.

A simple arrow with a squib crudely attached could be the work of kids.

- Emil Zola

character models site

THey would be suspicious enough to investigate (which is exactly what you want) but would not come to the conclusion that a thief was responsible - why would they?

I don't know, if I was guarding the inside of a museum at night, and heard fireworks go off in a corner, and found one attached to an arrow, I think I would get suspicious. Of course, all arrows have that particular problem associated with them.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the firework idea, except that most of us at the time agreed we didn't like it as much as the other options.

My personal preference has always been for a magical arrow like T2. I know how much you like those. :)

A simple arrow with a squib crudely attached could be the work of kids.

oh yes sure - kids are playing in an museum, or hammerite factory with fireworks at 3 o'clock am :rolleyes:

just remember your post:

Yes, flawless. None of your 'arguments' make any sense, as I'm about to point out..

does your argument make any sense ?

Anyway IMHO the shattering glass is the best option - it's easy for us to create it and it will look good ingame and it makes perfect sense. shattering glass in the night is loud, but not as load as fireworks - a firework would attract guard from the other end of the mansion - and that's certainly not what our thief is looking forward to....

Edited by BlackThief