The Dark Mod Forums

Zero Gear

Baddcog

http://myzerogear.com/

I figured I'd post this at some point.

This is a really cool game in development that I've got to beta test the garage and a few times on the server testing different modes.

It's being developed using the Ogre render engine. A very cool open source engine that can do some amazing stuff, quite a few games are starting to roll off the line using it (maybe we should port Dark Mod over) hahahaha.

(there actually are some programs to convert quake maps over, I think it would be possible to use Dark Radiant to actually make terrain to use in that engine, currently for Zero Gear a 3d program like Max or Maya works).

Anyway, it's got a steam group and they are planning release on steam. If you have an account sign up and keep an open eye, you might get a chance to playtest beta.

Here are some of the models I've done for it. A new material system has been developed so the karts, wheels, players, hats and accessories can be customized in the garage with up to 4 colors. (used to be 6 but the batch count was getting too high - thus new material system which dropped player batch count from something like 20+ to 5)

Sardine Tin, Propeller Hat and Evil genius Moustache are mine:

Sardine_Tin.jpg

T-Bucket, Rims and Tiki mask are mine

BaddTikiTBucket.jpg

Unfinished Classic Truck, Gargoyle (might look familiar?)

ClassicTruck.jpg

ClassicFlames.png

Mini Truck, early vers

Mini_wheel.jpg

It's been alot of fun working on that stuff. Really the first vehicle models I've ever done. The material system is similar to Dark Radiant. All skeletal anims.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Woah dude thats awesome.

You guys should make a moddb page.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I'm not actually involved in the making of the game. I've just made some 'User Content' for it while it's in production. A few other modellers have made some pretty cool content too, they have forums at their site where you can check it all out.

it's not a mod either, it's a ground up developed game for retail done mainly by 2 guys, using Ogre render engine and a bunch of Ogre compatible programs like Hikari (used for all the Flash menus). One programmer, one artist, both full time for about a year now.

Making the content early got me into the Alpha/Beta stuff.

They're gonna take it to The Indie Games Festival in a few weeks. I think the state it's in is very professional and wouldn't be suprised to see them win some catagory(ies). It's all online play and they are pushing towards 100% content friendly. They want to try and implement user content before the show so the judges can play online against us testers and possibly use our content as well. However the user content portion of the game is lower priority for the show than other things they are working on.

However the judging isn't for about 6 months I think and during that time they can update anything they want.

For me it was just fun checking out another engine and game. Making content very different from most of the stuff I have ever made. I've got a map probably 50% done too, but learning new techniques in Max to make it, I've rebuilt alot. Gonna be 'Tiki Island', basically Hawaii with some volcanos, lava, lots of palm trees and switchbacks.

Hey, that's cool, didn't know you were involved in indie stuff.

Maybe I should get you to help out on my next game. :D

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

yeah, I kindof stumbled on that through polycount forums and a few people had made models. Was bored of stuff I was doing and had started on a low poly mini-truck

which never went far so decided to try and get it in that engine. Then I got the bug and had to do more :)

I've actually wanted to find a programmer who would start on something like this and have a few ideas I've been tossing around. But without a programer it can't go far. If you wanna work on a game sometime Crispy I'd love to.

Don't know if you've checked out Ogre yet but it's a great renderer and there are alot of libraries to use. I can handle the modelling side but am completely clueless to any and all programming tasks.

I've made a few suggestions on Zero Gear though that have been imlemented (like the tornado) so it kindof feels like I'm part of the team.

I've actually wanted to find a programmer who would start on something like this and have a few ideas I've been tossing around. But without a programer it can't go far. If you wanna work on a game sometime Crispy I'd love to.

That'd be cool! I have been needing an artist to collaborate with. Feel free to PM me if you want to get some ideas conversations going. I also have some ideas of my own, of course (who doesn't). Perhaps between us we can find something that excites us both.

I don't yet have much time to be actually working on stuff, but uni holidays start reasonably soon and I'll be able to work on things like TDM, Mayhem Intergalactic, and other projects some more.

Don't know if you've checked out Ogre yet but it's a great renderer and there are alot of libraries to use. I can handle the modelling side but am completely clueless to any and all programming tasks.

I've looked at it, but not actually used it for anything. It does look promising and I've heard good things about it. It's hard to know for sure how much I'll like it without actually getting my hands dirty with it for a while, though - that's when you find all the little quirky details that nobody ever mentions. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.