The Dark Mod Forums

Opinions on St. Lucia Demo

plasticman

Guys, there is no any temporary fix for menu problem? Cause it’s really unplayable, I can only load game once, and if die next load will crash game. And taking in point that game loads for 3 min (???) it really kills any wish to replay... :(

We're not actively supporting the Saint Lucia release and/or providing patches or fixes, sorry.

That code is six months old, and I certainly don't want to go back in history to address issues that are likely to be fixed in our most recent revision.

vorob: Not sure exactly what kind of crash you are getting. If it is the menus that are crashing then you might try the following but no guarantee it will help:

If you do not have console enabled then include +seta com_allowConsole 1 in your shortcut

Note down the names of your gamesaves.

Relaunch Dark Mod

Select New Mission and commence as if to start the mission again. When the briefing start click the objectives button to proceed to the objectives screen.

Open the console (this is the key to the left of the "1" key. It might need Ctrl as well I'm not sure.)

Type loadgame then hit the TAB key and it should show you the names of your gamesaves. There might be others in there too which is why I suggested you write down yours.

Enter loadgame name (where name is the gamesave you want to load)

If it loads OK then Esc back to the menus and hopefully you will be at the objectives menu and can get to the main menu. Or I think there is also savegame name in the console you could try.

Sorry about the problems. Saint Lucia and Thief's Den might not be released with Dark Mod but I'm sure they will be adjusted to the new code and assets and relaunched at some stage. Meanwhile there will be other missions to play after Dark Mod is released.

Well, ok, but will you include in release verison of dark mod, st. lucia mission and thiefs den?

Yes, that is planned :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

About shadows and this shot:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Babudzia/Scree...578625334665778

How about to disable candlestick it self to castshadow, but allow others object to have shadow from this light? Like you've made with this candle

http://picasaweb.google.com/Babudzia/Scree...578535039164370

I just saw this thread, so sorry about the late response :P

The first picture you show is as such for performance reasons.

I had to make custom shaders for this area and I didn't bother adding in fake shadows which I should have, but the reason was purely performance.

This is due to the large amount of lights in this area. If you open the door without extinguishing any lights you'd get a huge performance hit due to shadow casting if you stood at the back of the hall. So rather than hoping no one stands at the back of the room looking toward the front (front being the image you show) I made them cast no shadows which prevented excess shadow calculations.

Honestly I thought no one would notice :P

Im going through the Maya tutorials again, but i haven't done much animating, just learned how for fun. Im actually contemplating doing it for a living at the moment, but thats a long way off. Is there any model you want me to animate, so i can be productive while i re-learn? A goat or a duck or bird or...

A little late I know, but we could definitely use more animators. There is a script that allows you to import md5 meshes and animations in maya.

@ Noisycricket: What version of Maya do you have? I think most of us use 7. The script can be found here. It says it works for Maya 5 and up.

If you need any help just ask. We'd be happy if someone could help us with animating.

Im currently going through all of the tutorials, including the redundant ones in Maya 2009 Unlimited(trial :( ). I do have some questions, but i will post them in a thread in the "I want to help" section.

I thought Maya offered a free full-version of their software for learning and non-profit productions, other than PLE, am i off my rocker? My trial runs out at the end of the month, but I will get another version for sure. Can i purchase older versions of Maya for less money? I am considering purchasing the current Maya, but its like 3,500, I might have to think about that one for awhile and do research as to the 3DSM vs Maya features and current industry trends, preferences, etc.

Im currently going through all of the tutorials, including the redundant ones in Maya 2009 Unlimited(trial :( ). I do have some questions, but i will post them in a thread in the "I want to help" section.

I thought Maya offered a free full-version of their software for learning and non-profit productions, other than PLE, am i off my rocker? My trial runs out at the end of the month, but I will get another version for sure. Can i purchase older versions of Maya for less money? I am considering purchasing the current Maya, but its like 3,500, I might have to think about that one for awhile and do research as to the 3DSM vs Maya features and current industry trends, preferences, etc.

I forgot to mention, since all the models are rigged, there are lots of things you don't have to learn about maya. You only need to know how to make an animation for an existing character and how to bring it doom 3.

I'm not sure on how to get a version of Maya. 3500 dollar/euro is a LOT of money. I got mine for free via the architecture department of my university. There are always alternative ways to get software though.

There was one thing/bug, worth pointing out, if it isn't already a known issue.

In the statue room, I wanted to steal some things from a table without knocking out that guard. So it had to be done quickly. And there I was clicking all those coins and stuff and then, suddenly, i unintentionally grabbed the candle and waved around for a fraction of a second. Everything flew off the table around the room making a hell of a racket! That was very funny and I started to laugh, thinking I was dead already. BUT, the guard ignored all the noise.

I'm a very clumsy and lucky thief :D

It's not only for that room, I throw candles in front of guards and they ignore them. I steal loots in front of them, they ignore. I made a long list of logical mistakes and bugs, but I don't want to discourage any people so that it is happy with me for now :D I have to look this project in general and it is a huge & awesome work that makes these bugs unimportant. Besides coming news shows that the team is working on it and fixing these bugs. You guys are legend already but I'm sure that you developing a game which will be better than T4.

Yes, AI didn't react to object sounds or missing loot in the St. Lucia demo. But they do now. :)

There was one thing/bug, worth pointing out, if it isn't already a known issue.

In the statue room, I wanted to steal some things from a table without knocking out that guard. So it had to be done quickly. And there I was clicking all those coins and stuff and then, suddenly, i unintentionally grabbed the candle and waved around for a fraction of a second. Everything flew off the table around the room making a hell of a racket! That was very funny and I started to laugh, thinking I was dead already. BUT, the guard ignored all the noise.

I'm a very clumsy and lucky thief :D

Too funny...lol

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

Im new here, but have already begun mapping happily away with the Saint Lucia contents...

I know the SL demo is already 6 months old,a nd rather then make a detailed bug report I thought I would just comment... WOW! Its AWESOME!

Good job!!!

Will send a demo of my work soon :D

GC

I really enjoyed this, I already want to replay it again :(

Btw it would be great if there was a "delete bind" key in the options. Oh and some of the book/note fonts are just unreadable, I really wish they were more clear although I understand it's good for realism.

As for level design, I wished there were more entry points, it was pretty linear, at first I wanted to enter the church via the balcony but the door was locked. Then again it looked so pretty and it's a completely new level so it's a minor thing really.

Also if I click on the 16:10 aspect ratio, the resolutions don't change to 16:10 or 16:9 ones, even though I restart the game. So all in all my biggest gripes were with the options screen (had to set almost everything through the .cfg file), although ofc things like animations etc need improving.

Loved the feel of the controls, run speed could be just a tad faster. Voice overs were really good quality-wise, although I wish we had a new garret here somewhere with a grungy voice :(

Edited by The Cow King

Oh and some of the book/note fonts are just unreadable, I really wish they were more clear

We've already fixed the blurriness issue.

As for level design, I wished there were more entry points, it was pretty linear,

There are three different ways into the church...that's pretty good for a small map IMO.

I really enjoyed this

Glad you liked it. Keep in mind the code in that demo is almost a year old now. Many issues have been fixed between then and now.