The Dark Mod Forums

Nominate Poor Textures

Springheel

We have been collecting textures for 4+ years, by nearly a dozen different people. It is inevitable that some textures will not stand up well in terms of quality.

This thread is the place to nominate textures you think are poor and should be either fixed or removed.

The following process will be followed (we are currently on step 1):

1. Ask for nominees. Anyone who wants to nominate a texture for removal can post it here.

2. Make a testmap of all nominated textures--preferably a hallway where people can walk down and gaze at examples of any nominees (perhaps with texture name or a number added for easy discussion).

3. Post somewhere clearly that the map is ready and people should check it out. People should ONLY respond if they strongly disagree with a texture being removed.

4. After a reasonable period of time (two or three weeks, perhaps), any texture that has NOT had someone speak up on its behalf will be deleted from SVN. If a mapper still wishes to use it they must add it to their map_specific folder.

5. Any textures that get an "I'd like to keep it but it just needs a little work" response should be posted in the texture thread. If someone volunteers to fix it, fine--it can be recorded on the bugtracker. If no one volunteers to fix it, it should be removed from SVN.

textures/darkmod/stone/cobblestones/flagstones06_granite

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/diagonal_cross

textures/darkmod/stone/cobblestones/tiling_1d/bricks_blocks_roughmix

• 1 year later...

textures/darkmod/window/lamp_glass_ (all three of them)

I couldn't find any higher res version than the editor texture, there is some excess TGAs for them (could be specular maps that lack the right suffixes, but then they are located in the wrong folder and in the wrong format) and they also got a 1px white line on the left side which keeps you from using it as a tiling texture.

EDIT: I just read the first post (I just read the title first and was sure this was the right place to post) but just to clarify: I think the texture is pretty good it just needs some work.Maybe someone could move this to the right thread

Edited by Nosslak

It's mostly used for very small things, so it doesn't need to be very large itself. It shouldn't have the white line though (not sure why it's .tga either). I'll fix it.

I submitted fixed versions of those before I joined, very odd :/

re the topic:

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/diagonal_cross

I've remade this at high res - just needs final testing. Should be in 1.04.

also a bunch of trims will be getting nice new normals.

I submitted fixed versions of those before I joined, very odd :/

Yes, it's strange that there's no dds version. Do you still have your fixed copy?

• 3 months later...

Ah Hell,

Can never find the posts I'm looking for.

Hopefully this will at least gather the attention of the right people.

Ottoj55 posted this at TTLG. Like CGtextures, smaller site but they have some good stuff it looks like. You can distribute derivative works with a project.

Like this page

http://texturer.com/sub75/

also look under wood/objects. There's a nice weave basket, and other stuff like furniture.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 2 months later...

Hey!

The texture

darkmod/decals/vegetation/hanging_horizontal_leaves

does not have any alpha. The areas that look black in DR look black ingame too. This essentially renders this texture totally unusable.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Hey!

The texture

darkmod/decals/vegetation/hanging_horizontal_leaves

does not have any alpha. The areas that look black in DR look black ingame too. This essentially renders this texture totally unusable.

Could you please either fix this or add a bug tracker entry? I think otherwise it gets forgotten.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 1 month later...

These dirt textures need some work:

dripping_slime05

dripping_slime05_left

dripping_slime05_right

They have visible lines along the 3 "clear" edges, probably an antialias artifact from Photoshop.

They're most visible when the edge cuts across a light texture, or is in the middle of a doorway that the player can walk through. The edge appears as a thin dark line.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I think some of the cloth textures need some fixing as a lot of them are TGAs instead of DDS's. Also I think the texture "cloth_baize_green" should be a colorme material (not sure that's what they're called) as it didn't lose anything IMHO by having it desaturated in Photoshop and then colored with the Hue/Saturation again, so it should work just fine (though it'd probably have to be added as a new texture so it won't break existing maps) with colorme in DR.

EDIT: The whole cloth_plain_creased_ texture family could also use a b/w colorme texture as well.

Hm, I am pretty sure I already converted all TGAs to DDS, leaving only the normal maps, and some TGAs that were not worth it (like anything under 100Kbyte). Can you point me to the files in question?

And I agree with the "colored" materials, I think as long we change the texture (and leave the material shader with the same name) it won't break missions - they use the material name, the actual texture file name is irrelevant to them (unless the missions pack their own material shaders which is rare).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hm, I am pretty sure I already converted all TGAs to DDS, leaving only the normal maps, and some TGAs that were not worth it (like anything under 100Kbyte). Can you point me to the files in question?

I think I had just extracted an outdated pk4 and assumed that it was still the case but after looking again in the pk4 I see you were right.

And I agree with the "colored" materials, I think as long we change the texture (and leave the material shader with the same name) it won't break missions - they use the material name, the actual texture file name is irrelevant to them (unless the missions pack their own material shaders which is rare).

Great!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

textures\darkmod\carpets\rugs\plain_redgreen_design_ed.tga

textures\darkmod\carpets\rugs\plain_redgreen_ed.jpg

textures\darkmod\carpets\rugs\plain_redgreen_local.tga

These are just unusable, as they just look like someone puked all over the floor. I looked at using them today
for something different, but the red veins just ruins it. It'd be fine if the red veins were removed n just made green.

This set of plain carpets is something we need more of. One or two other colours, say white, or even red vers of
the grey (whitish) one.

[edit] Also we need a nice set of posh plain timbers that match some of the timber panelling we have. A walnut is the only

fully plain posh timber texture we have. We really need more.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 3 years later...

I'd like to show an alternate version of textures/darkmod/window/largesquare02_lit

The mtr file is missing the 'glow' stage, but even when added, the yellow background is very flat.

Original version:

post-2153-0-96307900-1516055239.jpg

Here's a preview of my alternate version (the editor image):

post-2153-0-21585100-1516054103.jpg

I brightened this up by mimicking the TDM's glow effect (layer addition)

I also noticed the unlit version was missing a specular map.

This file contains the fixed 'lit' mtr file, new lit texture and the unlit spec map (I'm not sure if the lit version needs it).

new win glow.txt

(the above is a renamed zip file)

Edited by R Soul
  • Like 2

It's not how you do proper emissive/glow materials for game engines. Diffuse needs to be slightly less contrasty and without overblown highlights or deep dark shadows, as in the original version, to allow for brightness, gamma, and postprocess settings to work correctly on most monitors. You need to supply a separate emissive/glow texture. Also, the material you're using contains outdated code: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Material_Files

Seeing a side-by-side comparison would be the best way to showcase the difference. Changing existing textures has to be done with care so that the difference doesn't clash with ways mappers may have used it already.

• Like 1

I really like the new version (and wish we had it from the beginning), but yeah, it needs testing. The flatness of the original means it could be used in fairly unorthodox ways - I recall using only one or two panels' worth of it. That said, it would be worth including as a completely new texture!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved