The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hm, these lines here:

VFS Search Path priority is:

- e:/spel/steam/steamapps/common/doom 3/saintlucia/

- e:/spel/steam/steamapps/common/doom 3/saintlucia/

- e:/spel/steam/steamapps/common/doom 3/base/

indicate that you have saintlucia mentioned in both fs_game as well as fs_game_base, as you stated earlier. Are you absolutely sure it doesn't suffice when you leave the fs_game_base blank? What does the log file state if you do?

Hmm, I quoted the entire text, to avoid the horizontal extension, but now it got formatted into "codebox".

I take it you did it, for some ease-of-use reason that I as a coder don't know.

Yes, I have in fact saintlucia mentioned in fs_game_base now. But when it was blank previously, the entities and other resources were nowhere to be seen.

Now when I load DarkRadiant with fs_game_base empty, they show up though.

Do you still want the log?

Edited by Farsead

Hmm, I quoted the entire text, to avoid the horizontal extension, but now it got formatted into "codebox".

I take it you did it, for some ease-of-use reason that I as a coder don't know.

Yes, this was me, I wanted to avoid the text from taking up so much vertical space. The codebox is enough for me, because I copied the stuff in a text editor anyway.

Yes, I have in fact saintlucia mentioned in fs_game_base now. But when it was blank previously, the entities and other resources were nowhere to be seen.

Now when I load DarkRadiant with fs_game_base empty, they show up though.

Do you still want the log?

Hm, maybe there was something else going on, it's hard to say now for sure. One could of course start over from scratch and delete all previous settings from AppData\Roaming\*.xml folder, but I assume you don't want to go through that hassle now that it works for you.

I'll try and start from scratch, to see if it was an intermittent problem or not.

EDIT: Just reinstalled DarkRadiant, and deleted ...\Roaming\*.

Problem does not persist. I think it may have been that I loaded saintlucia, but the application crashed when I mucked about and therefore after restarting it, the resources never loaded properly.

Edited by Farsead

Is there any way to make it so that doors don't overlap the wall on the hinge-side, when they open?

I'm referring now to the small area that the door doesn't overlap when closed.

It seems as if one must make that part of the wall half as thin as the door, to prevent it from happening. Something that looks strange since this makes the door stand out. in an unnatural fashion.

If I'm being unclear or confusing please tell me, and I'll try to illustrate with some screenshots.

Edited by Farsead

There's a section HERE in that article but I'm not sure whether that translation adjustment still works. I think the easiest way is always make sure there is a frame so it is not then noticeable. This is assuming a model door. If it's a brush door then just move the origin right to the corner as described on the wiki.

So in this image which is plan view of course, on the left the door is right next to a side wall. But if instead you put a doorframe between the side wall and door then in the one on the right you can see the door rotates. It does clip into that frame but you can't really see it.

post-400-1240344235_thumb.jpg

Seems like a good way to do it. Thanks for drawing.

Although, if the open door does not have a parallell wall so close, and the wall that the door is set into is thicker than the door, then either the overlapping is easy to spot, or the frame needs to be placed a bit into the wall-surface (creating an odd niche).

That's kind of the problem I have. But I think I'll just make little "corridors", like yours, for the time being.

Edited by Farsead

I don't think you need a frame, doesn't hurt to have one, and they generally look better, but for function's sake I think it's best to just control the exact corner of rotation on the door by moving that vertex point, so that it properly hinges only on one side just like a real door.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I read the wiki entry for decals but something isn't working for me.

I see the decal in the DR window, but I can't see it in-game, whether done by patch or putting them on the side of a brush ... although the brush is definiately there, it's just completely transparent in-game with no decal.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Can you widen the doorway a little to fit in a wood frame?

Yes, but then the frame gets overlapped too. Or, I can make it half as thick as the door, so that it isn't in the way of the door swinging, but this of course causes a little recess.

Edited by Farsead

@demagogue: As a test, change the texture to say stone and move the patch away from the back surface. If you now see it in game, move it back to 0.125 above the surface and try again. If still OK, now try your original stain texture. If it now disappears it seems like some sort of path error? A stain patch like that should be flush with the surface behind and still show.

Yes, but then the frame gets overlapped too. Or, I can make it half as thick as the door, so that it isn't in the way of the door swinging, but this of course causes a little recess.
Any chance of uploading a picture somewhere? I can't visualize the problem.

http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=40217704.jpg

The first one is the door swinging overlapping the wall. (Swing-direction is shown through red arrow).

Second one the door overlapping the frame, also the one to the next.

Third one, is the frame being half as thick as the door and therefore not being overlapped.

Edited by Farsead

Farsead: The frame doesn't help at all there as it just extends the wall. Your wall seems very thin. Generally go for 8, or 16 or even 32 in old castles etc. With thin walls you might get errors like players frobbing loot and switches right through the wall.

The clipping is very small and probably not noticeable. If you really want to eliminate it then I recommend you make the door from a brush:

• Create a brush the size of door you want. I recommend you make it the thickness of the double doorhandle gap.
  • With the whole door selected, texture it with one of the textures from media: darkmod\door
  • On Surface Inspector click the 'Fit' button.
  • Check the edges of the door - might want to adjust.
  • [EDIT] Might need to use Surface Inspector 'Flip horizontal' on one side of the door so the lock is on the correct side.
  • With the whole door selected, RMB create entity
  • Select movers : atdm:mover_door
  • Now you should see the origin red, green, bluelines in the centre of the brush.
  • Press V for vertices mode
  • In plan view drag that origin to the hinge edge
  • Then drag it to the leading edge so it is right in the corner.

Now when the door opens it will rotate around that corner with no clipping at all.