The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

How can I rotate the origin from a brush? For example, when I create a door entity and rotate it along x 20°, then the origin is also rotated likewise. But when I create a door from a brush and rotate it 20°, the origin is not rotated. I want to fix this. But when I select the origin vertex and rotate it from there, it just changes its position and doesn't rotate.

post-21200-0-76303800-1439031123.jpg

post-21200-0-32020400-1439031130.jpg

How could I then make a handle to that custom door, which moves correctly with the door even though the door is tilted like that?

I have two ambient infos meeting at this door as outside the light is brighter than in. For some reason even though they touch perfectly in the editor it fades out like this as if there is no ambient light there.

Is there a way to stop the ambient light from fading out like that on that edge?

FqzWJ8W.jpg

Presumably you have ambient_light_falloff set to "0" ?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Dynamic_ambient_light

Other than that... what is the LightFalloffImage? Is it a no falloff image?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Presumably you have ambient_light_falloff set to "0" ?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Dynamic_ambient_light

Other than that... what is the LightFalloffImage? Is it a no falloff image?

I do and also I had the "falloff" spawnarg set to 0 as well but it still fades off.

The texture i'm using on the light is set to "lights/ambientlightnfo" and on the display preview that shows the whole light distribution as filled in (unlike the other ambient lights which do fade off) so i'm not too sure why its doing this.

It also seems like the falloff spawnarg doesn't really change anything in game

What grayman said. There is a spawnarg in the location system (when you enter a new location) to fade the world_ambient to a new value that was made pretty much for exactly this purpose.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

How do I make a worldspawn brush or func_static invisible? I took one of the wooden chair models and scaled it up by a factor of 10. My plan was to completely surround it with invisible wood texture brushes so that the player could still shoot rope arrows at it to climb up and walk around on it since the collision model obviously does not scale with it. However, when I give the worldspawn the property "nodraw 1" it still shows up in game. This still happens if I convert it to a func_static and give it "nodraw 1"; it's still visible.

EDIT: Duh, figured it out. Use the texture, "tdm_nodrawsolid_wood".

Edited by Morat

To make a world brush invisible ingame but still solid give it the "nodrawsolid" texture and more specific to your situation I would recommend using the "tdm_nodrawsolid_wood" texture as it would make the brush react the same way wood would (heh) react.

These textures are found in textures/common/

To make a world brush invisible ingame but still solid give it the "nodrawsolid" texture and more specific to your situation I would recommend using the "tdm_nodrawsolid_wood" texture as it would make the brush react the same way wood would (heh) react.

These textures are found in textures/common/

Ninja'd by two minutes, but thank you!

Now to figure out a way to make my 100' tall nobleman :)

I am currently trying to create a set of modular parts, for a mansion mission. The parts do not look that great, but I want to finally finish a playable mission and thought, I can improve the modules later on, for further missions. Anyway, I have encountered one problem: When I save the module as a prefab and later insert it, the prefab gets inserted at the position, that it was saved at. Is there a way to circumvent that? Do I have to set the origin to some point or should I just move the module to 0,0,0 so that it will always be inserted there? It would be most convenient, if the prefab would get inserted at the point, where I do the right click to insert. Is this possible?

It probably needs to be at 0,0,0.

What kind of module is it? If you export as a model and use that instead, then later you can update it and the models you've already placed would change to the upgrade.

If you use a prefab the changes wouldn't carry across.

I expected, that the changes would not get carried across. But I thought, if I use e.g. 30 prefabs, that do not change in size they should be exchangeable without too much trouble. Of course, the model variant would be much more elegant. How can I save it as a model? I saw "Export as collision model" in DR, but this only works on func_statics (wich excludes doors and windows of my prefabs) and when I tried DR crashed :-(

Models are better for the task, and yes you could swap them out later just by updating the model as long as the size and origin are the same. Keep your modules in a separate map so you can update them. There's a script in DR that exports as a model, but I'm not sure it'll be able to handle embedded models. It might work only for fs made of worldspawn only.

Sotha made a tutorial thread for this technique I think...

Thanks! I have just tried out the prefabs and had some problems with the modules, that contained windows and doors, because they could not be rotated (the centre of the model was a bit off). So I think it is best to create the func_statics without any of the other models and add them later. This also allows for more flexibility, since you can use different windows/doors. I will have a look at it.

When I try to dmap a test mission with my custom texture, I get

WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/custom/aosys_carpet1_large

I can see the texture in DarkRadiant. In-game, it's behaving like a carpet texture, but with no image, just blackness. I have my .mtr file set up, as well as the diffuse map, the normal map, and the editor image (since it's a carpet texture I don't have a specular map). I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't for the life of me put my finger on it...

I'm guessing textures/darkmod/custom/aosys_carpet1_large is the diffuse map. Is it [your darkmod directory]/textures/darkmod/custom/aosys_carpet1_large.tga or [your darkmod directory]/dds/textures/darkmod/custom/aosys_carpet1_large.dds?

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Hi!, I am a beginner mapper and I have 2 questions that are appropriate for this thread:

I have problems with:

1. Sitting angles of AIs (I am able to make them sit, but how can I make them sit in the direction I want?
I tried what was told in the Wiki, but setting a "sit_down_angle ..." on the "path_sit" doesn't seem to work. Does it interfere with the orientation of the "path_sit"?)

2. An Ai with a path such as: corner1 - sit1 - corner2 - corner3 - corner1 sits down in corner3 with no apparent reason.

My diffuse map is a .dds, my editor image is a .jpg, and my normal map is a .tga. All three are located in:

[my darkmod directory]/textures/darkmod/custom

Do I need a special folder for the .dds?