The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

How do I wipe my ass..? from front to back or back to front..?

Should I use a special kind of paper, or will these three shells work?

Maybe the pages from the instruction manual on how to wipe my ass would make good ass-wiping material..?

Please also hold my hand throughout the entire process.

Not cool.

If you just want to be an ass to people, the internet is overflowing with places to do that. It's not welcome here.

My way of grabbing attention to say, "it would be nice to get a small crew together in order to get the wiki updated", Springheel.

No-one answered my questions when I was learning any this stuff - I was told it was "above paygrade" and ultimately "no-one knows..." before having to use the wayback machine to trawl 404'd websites for the information.

It's rare that anyone helps me even now if I were to ask, except perhaps Stumpy or someone who takes the time to check over a script.

It'd be good to get a wiki-squad together so that TDM and DR have some decent instruction that is easily searchable for such simple questions.

It is coming up more and more often that people are asking questions where the answers can be found in the wiki - but only if you have the patience to dig through it... Also many pages assume that you already know what they're talking about...

/*also, sorry - it'd've been my son's bday today so am in a very bad mood.

But, like Rsoul's there offering to help out and complete a tutorial with all the stuff (that would benefit everyone) and it's overlooked - practically ignored - because someone's been taking up all the space for months with constant questions that often are simple referrals back to the wiki, no inquiry, only questions */

Edited by teh_saccade

Does anyone know of a way to stop animated models from disappearing at certain angles?

The entity this is happening on is atdm:hanging_sheets01_anim01

I have tried extending the hide distance and adding "inline" "1" to it however neither of those have fixed the issue.

Does anyone know of a way to stop animated models from disappearing at certain angles?

Can you upload a video showing what you mean exactly? "Certain angles" is a bit vague.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Can you upload a video showing what you mean exactly? "Certain angles" is a bit vague.

Sorry I thought it was self-explanatory but here is the bug in action

MG0fOoM.gif

Hiya folks, I'm having some problems with performance atm. My current WIP was working fine up until today, and now suddenly I'm having bad fps drops in what was previously the most stable part of the whole map. I think it has something to do with fireplaces for whatever reason, but I have no idea what's happening or how to fix it. Is there anyone out there who could maybe have a look?

if you have a lot of complicated world brushes in an area, you can change the ones that don't connect with the void or seal a room into a big func_static and this will increase performance. unless you have a patch going through a visportal then you turn the patch into a func_static and that will also increase performance.

What do yellow visportals mean? I tried checking the wiki and the forums but couldn't get a clear answers on what they mean, or how to fix them.http://imgur.com/a/uGtBm

• Like 1

Ah, never mind, it wasn't the map at all, it was actually my TDM settings. I'd tried bumping up antialiasing and texture anisotropy, and it's one or both of them that was causing problems. Weird, considering I thought my rig could handle it, but okay then :P

Sorry I thought it was self-explanatory but here is the bug in action

MG0fOoM.gif

Have you manipulated the size of the rope (stretching it)?

What do yellow visportals mean? I tried checking the wiki and the forums but couldn't get a clear answers on what they mean, or how to fix them.http://imgur.com/a/uGtBm

Yellow visportals are visportals which you can't see through from your current position, but the visleaf they are leading to is still considered for rendering due to another visportal leading to the same area beeing open (green). It basically tells you that you might wanna include another vp to improve performance.

post-11230-0-59330300-1501660906_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

For particle editor, why does water arrow emit two bursts? If u set cycle to 0, it is endless, per wiki. If u set cycle to 1, u get two bursts. I just want one burst

Have you observed both bursts ingame? Maybe it is not noticeable that there are actually two of them. I mean, water arrows also use this particle (hence the name) and it looks like only one burst ingame.

How do I wipe my ass..? from front to back or back to front..?

Should I use a special kind of paper, or will these three shells work?

Maybe the pages from the instruction manual on how to wipe my ass would make good ass-wiping material..?

Please also hold my hand throughout the entire process.

lol nice dig

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Have you manipulated the size of the rope (stretching it)?

I haven't resized it, all i've done is rotate it into place (because the entity spawns into the editor vertically) but the rotation on it is just solid numbers "0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0"

Beyond that it's just the default animated prop.

Hmm, we used to have a problem with AI disappearing if you looked at them from a particular angle, but that was solved long before release. I don't recall any of the details.

If something disappears, than this is often caused by the fact that the engine thinks it doesn't need rendering. This can happen when resizing entities via the rotation spawnarg, as the boundary box used to determine whether an entitiy is inside the players fov isn't resized, too. However, Goldwell already stated he haven't done that.

Another posiibility that comes to my mind is that is something is wrong with the cm or proc file. You could try to delete them and re-dmap your mission. Just a vague guess, though.

Is the error reproduceable, btw? Does this happen if you create another instance of the rope in a different location or create a copy of your rope?

Is there anything in the console that could be of use/is referring to the rope entity?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm working on a winter map and am trying to figure out how to make it so you can see the AI exhale (since its supposed to be cold and snowing outside). I know some maps have already done this, like King of Diamonds and Business as Usual where you can see the AI's breath. How do you do this? I assume it has something to do with func_emitters, but after experimenting, that's as far as I've gotten, ha

So, I'm working on a winter map and am trying to figure out how to make it so you can see the AI exhale (since its supposed to be cold and snowing outside). I know some maps have already done this, like King of Diamonds and Business as Usual where you can see the AI's breath. How do you do this? I assume it has something to do with func_emitters, but after experimenting, that's as far as I've gotten, ha

I wrote this. Send me a PM.

In my recent playthrough of TDM I KO'ed two guards in a crossing-streets scene in King of Diamonds, then after dragging their bodies into the dark I found myself crouched behind them while watching a city-guard type saunter down the street. I was happily amused by the breathing of my victims, showing that they were alive. It breathed life into the scene - after which I forgot all about it as I went about KO'ing everyone that got in the way of my gathering loot.
In retrospect, that went down as one of the most memorable scenes.
Somehow I thought that was default behavior, as in a flag to be toggled and given a value in entity inspector.
So a person could hit the '?' button and be given a brief explanation.

IMO the biggest hurdle in FM editing is finding information on how to do the things that are regularly discussed in the forums. It isn't all that easy to learn by deconstructing existing FM's, because so much is idiosyncratic and the maps being deconstructed have a multi-layered complexity. It's daunting.

It would be great if this could be implemented for all players. I would also be willing to write a Wiki article that explains this.

IMO the biggest hurdle in FM editing is finding information on how to do the things that are regularly discussed in the forums. It isn't all that easy to learn by deconstructing existing FM's, because so much is idiosyncratic and the maps being deconstructed have a multi-layered complexity. It's daunting.

All this information is supposed to be kept on the Wiki, but writing the respective articles is a lot of work and many mappers are not willing to do this. This is why a lot of information gets lost in the forum. Still, you can learn a lot by scouring the Wiki.

Well, you can always ask here. That's what this thread is meant for ;)

But you're right in general. It would be nice to have a more compact compendium of all the information that might proof worthwhile when creating a FM. But as Destined wrote the creation of a wiki article is an effort not to underestimate. And even than you have the information scattered over several articles, which isn't optimal either.

But people here are doing this in their free time, and they do it for free. So maybe it would be better to focus on what we have instead complaining about what we don't. Or you start doing something about it. This is no personal criticism, just my two cents :)

That is a common problem. I’ve found out solutions to many of my problems by myself, and I feel like I could explain that in more straightforward and user-friendly way, than it is presented in the wiki. But, with my time limited as it is, it’s either that or trying to make a mission. So, unless it’s something critical, I’d rather focus on the latter. Plus, getting help on the forums is what's keeping it alive, isn't it ;)

Edited by Judith