The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

3 hours ago, grayman said:

This happens more frequently than one would think, and there's no known single solution (that I can remember).

I have the feeling that this happens more often with vertical brushes next to stairs made of brushes as well?

1 hour ago, peter_spy said:

IIRC, this has something to do with somehow lowered BSP precision, so brushes slightly more complex than a box will display BSP holes (we had something like this in TDS as well). Try converting brushes to models (func_statics) if you can.

I've also had success in opening the .map file, finding that brush and getting rid of the crazy amount of extra numbers on the vertex coordinates.
But, make sure you snap that brush to like grid 4 (8 units).

EDIT: AI do not "see" func_statics, they only see brushes. So if they walk close to the edge of the stairs they can get stuck trying to walk by it indefinitely.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

On 7/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, AluminumHaste said:

EDIT: AI do not "see" func_statics, they only see brushes. So if they walk close to the edge of the stairs they can get stuck trying to walk by it indefinitely.

Clarification: AI normally can't see func_statics, but if they bump into one, they will make an attempt to walk around it. If the code can't work out a path around the obstacle, you'll see the AI treadmilling against the object. Monsterclip monsterclip monsterclip.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grayman said:

Monsterclip monsterclip monsterclip.

Yes, this will be something that will take more drilling. On a side note, how'd I never notice you are in Raleigh, grayman? I'm literally a stone's throw away.

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Sorry if it's offtopic

File: tdm_ai_citywatch.mtr

models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/citywatch_armor_poor      //used for pauldrons&helmet only

specularmap     models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/cityguard_armor_poor_ed

gives an image load error when loading game

I can see a file named cityguard_armor_poor_ed.jpg but the default extension for 'uncompressed' textures is .tga

Do we want to replace the .tga with .jpg file here? Or explicitly point the material to the .jpg? Or the game should double check for alternative extension files?

6 hours ago, Springheel said:

Material files ignore file extensions, unless something has changed recently.

Only for tga's and dds's

Jpegs aren't supported for materials, but DR can read them. Ed suffix is used for editor preview. So maybe it's a typo. Just remove the _ed.

Well, I don't see "cityguard_armor_poor" files anywhere. So prompts the question: do I export the jpg to a dds/tga and add it to the assets besides the source jpg?

I apologize for asking here as it's offtopic on DR. I'm reluctant to create new forum threads for trivial things like this.

Yeah, there don't seem to be any diffuse or specular maps in that folder, just normalmaps, heightmaps (do we even use these?) and editor preview jpegs.

In that case we should just remove the specularmap keyword on that material?

8 hours ago, peter_spy said:

Jpegs aren't supported for materials, but DR can read them. Ed suffix is used for editor preview. So maybe it's a typo. Just remove the _ed.

Jpgs can be used in materials without issue.  I just double-checked to be sure they still worked. 

Only for tga's and dds's

I just double-checked that as well, and TDM can display jpgs without the file extension just fine.

In that case we should just remove the specularmap keyword on that material?

No, don't remove it.  The only issue is that models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/citywatch_armor_poor_noshadows has a typo--the specular and editor path is spelled "armour" when the actual file is "armor".

You should never ever use jpgs as textures in a realtime rendering engine! Their compression format is largely incompatible with how texture memory works. Use tga or dds, always. You can use jpegs for material previews, but it's mostly a waste of time, as DR can easily handle a lot of 2k diffuse textures used as previews, both tga and dds.

Edited by peter_spy

2 hours ago, Springheel said:

No, don't remove it.  The only issue is that models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/citywatch_armor_poor_noshadows has a typo--the specular and editor path is spelled "armour" when the actual file is "armor".

Should I fix the typo or ?

2 hours ago, peter_spy said:

You should never ever use jpgs as textures in a realtime rendering engine! Their compression format is largely incompatible with how texture memory works. Use tga or dds, always. You can use jpegs for material previews, but it's mostly a waste of time, as DR can easily handle a lot of 2k diffuse textures used as previews, both tga and dds.

I never said it was a good idea, I just said the engine can do it, so that wasn't the cause of the error.

Should I fix the typo or ?

I went ahead and fixed it since I needed to make sure I could use SVN again anyway.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Springheel said:

Jpgs can be used in materials without issue.  ....

Not without issues IMO, I add the engine crash on me when I used jpgs for normal ingame textures, but is not something that happens with all jpgs, perhaps some are just formatted in a way the engine doesn't like.  Because of this and because of what peter_spy (aka judith :P) said, I also don't recommend jpgs (or png's) for normal textures, specially for normal maps because the jpg compression causes artifacts that can show ingame.  

Also idSoftware only used them for the editor previews so perhaps we should assume is best to continue doing so? 

14 minutes ago, HMart said:

I also don't recommend jpgs (or png's) for normal textures,

I don't think anyone is recommending it.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:37 AM, peter_spy said:

heightmaps (do we even use these?)

Occasionally yes (e.g. in tdm_pageboy_light), but as far as I know it's still the case that the only thing the game does with them is convert them to normal maps via the heightmap() image program.

You can also use a scaling parameter in heightmap().

(Incidentally, something's been changed at idDevNet recently: pages that show up in my browser history with the .php extension are now 404s, needing .html instead - maybe someone decided generating pages dynamically was pointless for what's now a static archive - and embedded images in the linked page are missing. On the other hand, I think some 404s were fixed in the Q4 section.)

Edited by VanishedOne
  • Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

How do you make convincing fireflies, both sitting still and flying around?

BD had some good ones in Alberic’s Curse, also how’d he do those falling leaf particles?

Do I use emitters?

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day