The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Is there a way to turn off the player reflection on reflective water?

If would suggest not to use reflective water. ;)

But arcturus approach may be the easiest way to go if you want to keep the water.

Why are you asking?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

If would suggest not to use reflective water. ;)

But arcturus approach may be the easiest way to go if you want to keep the water.

Why are you asking?

I have a pool in my map that one of my beta tested suggested I use reflective water because the room is small and visportaled but yes I have found reflective water doesn't really work in TDM sadly so it will have to stay the same.

Thanks all for the answers!

What do you mean it doesn't work? Of course it does. Here's a skin I had been using:

skin player/nodraw
{
model tdm_ai_thief_lesser
model tdm_ai_thief_test
models/md5/chars/thief/thief				textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/wrap				 textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/tunic				textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/thief_head		   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather_inside_shadowcasting	   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather			  textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather_inside	   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood_shadows		 textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood				 textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood_ns			  textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/elite_citywatch_cloth	 textures/common/nodraw
tdm_npc_hand	   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/citywatch_leather	 textures/common/nodraw
textures/common/shadow		textures/common/nodraw
models/weapons/shortbow/bracer	  textures/common/nodraw
}

It's only a model...

What do you mean it doesn't work? Of course it does. Here's a skin I had been using:

skin player/nodraw
{
model tdm_ai_thief_lesser
model tdm_ai_thief_test
models/md5/chars/thief/thief				textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/wrap				 textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/tunic				textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/thief_head		   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather_inside_shadowcasting	   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather			  textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather_inside	   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood_shadows		 textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood				 textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood_ns			  textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/elite_citywatch_cloth	 textures/common/nodraw
tdm_npc_hand	   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/citywatch_leather	 textures/common/nodraw
textures/common/shadow		textures/common/nodraw
models/weapons/shortbow/bracer	  textures/common/nodraw
}

I have a mirror upstairs though so i'm guessing this will cause the player to stop being displayed there as well

You can use the location system to swap the players skin, so that he his model is not drawn in the room with the pool, but in the room with the mirror.

You can use the location system to swap the players skin, so that he his model is not drawn in the room with the pool, but in the room with the mirror.

Sadly its all in the same location and in order to change it I would have to change the sound design of things. These are all good things but unfortunately not applicable in my situation.

The real problem here though is that the reflection dont work properly in the game, if you want to see what its like just create a basic room with a pool in it with the water reflection texture and walk near it. It gets very crazy as you enter the water and seems rather buggy, if the player reflection wasn't being reflected it would work quite well but yeah.

I've got a bunch of questions.

- Is there a way to have triggers react to entities other than the player and the AI (e.g. an arrow)?

- The 'velocity' variable does nothing in my func_shooter. It shoots atdm:projectile_broadhead at ridicolus speed no matter what speed I imput.

- The 'slick' material does nothing.

- models/darkmod/door_related/lock_chest_01.ase got its texture misaligned

- Is ther a way to 'mark' an area/elements inside Dark Radiant so that they will be completely ignored during dmap? I'm thinking so that the starterpack doesn't weight my map down.

- Any tip in creating locks? Any 'lock' texture anywhere?

- Is there a particular reason why TDM lacks the invisible, speed and slowfall potions from Thief?

- Do harder/softer materials affect fall damage?

- Is there a way to prevent (only) sounds to travel from a room to another?

- Is there a way to mark enteties so that they are affected by physics at map start?

- Is there somewher a pure black material somewhere? I've been keeping the brush untextured to get that effect but it doesn't feel right.

- Why do readables not show their text on the surface if not frobbable?

Has anyone run into issues with AI not being affected by monster clip brushes? Or AI that sink into worldspawn brushes?

The AI falls right through this floor to his death no matter what I do.

post-529-0-73547000-1418618448_thumb.jpg

I tried deleting it and recreating it, I renamed the map to something new and moved it's location.

The brush is snapped to 8 grid units, so it's not like it's rounding errors.

I also tried sticking another brush underneath, textured with monster_clip but the AI falls right through that one also.

post-529-0-15558700-1418618665_thumb.jpg

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Ive seen Ai not path find over stuff thats high up before, but looking at your image -

1. the MC brush should extend to the ceiling and each brush should touch (are those fence posts FS or just WS brush?
  2. bind your ' b ' key to " _impulse_27 " to show pathfinding, if there is not PF then place a nondraw_solid brush under the problematic brush. And if that dosent work then place an ass32_flood just over the middle of the brush to force pathfinding.

Okay apparently I've already had B bound to that lol.

And there is pathfinding on that bridge, it's just semi solid, the AI either falls right through or sinks in to his knees.

The player also glides on it and sinks in a bit and can't jump, it's really fucked up.

The collision map file (.cm) is 45 MB, wonder if I've hit some limit...

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I looked around for a long time, but can't find anything regarding this:

I am trying to build a part of town, with the nice look of illuminated, bright windows in a dark city. (Like it is with the "skybox" texture in thepool area of the startmap)

Some of the lit window textures are useful for this by default, they glow quite far.

Some other lit window textures though, are quite dark, if the world is dark.

I am searching for a way, to light them up.

Preferrably would be a method, to just add aspwanarg so it lights up as if it is lit by a real light.

Aside from that, I would prefer the most performance friendly method to achieve that.

It works right with a small light, placed over that window, but I think that this is not the best solution for that.

Some of the lit window textures are useful for this by default, they glow quite far. Some other lit window textures though, are quite dark, if the world is dark. I am searching for a way, to light them up.

You can't light up dark textures easily, but you can darken the lit ones a bit if you want to.

First check to see whether any of the textures you want to use have "colored" in the title. If you apply those to a func_static you can choose a color in DR's entity inspector which will be used to merge with the window color. Choose a gray color, not the final color that you want to see. Well, you can choose what you like of course but gray is the correct way to brighten/darken the result without changing the color itself.

If there aren't any, then you can make your own material shader by copying an existing one and adding an "rgb" keyword to the diffusemap stage followed by a number in the 0 to 1 range. 0 will make it pitch black, 1 will leave it at full brightness, 0.5 will make it half as bright.

Unless you've already messed with a material shader, that instruction probably won't be very clear. Feel free to post the material shader that you want to use here (a bright window texture) and we can demo how to tweak it.

I've got a bunch of questions.
  1. - Is there a way to have triggers react to entities other than the player and the AI (e.g. an arrow)?
  2. - The 'velocity' variable does nothing in my func_shooter. It shoots atdm:projectile_broadhead at ridicolus speed no matter what speed I imput.
  3. - The 'slick' material does nothing.
  4. - models/darkmod/door_related/lock_chest_01.ase got its texture misaligned
  5. - Is ther a way to 'mark' an area/elements inside Dark Radiant so that they will be completely ignored during dmap? I'm thinking so that the starterpack doesn't weight my map down.
  6. - Any tip in creating locks? Any 'lock' texture anywhere?
  7. - Is there a particular reason why TDM lacks the invisible, speed and slowfall potions from Thief?
  8. - Do harder/softer materials affect fall damage?
  9. - Is there a way to prevent (only) sounds to travel from a room to another?
  10. - Is there a way to mark enteties so that they are affected by physics at map start?
  11. - Is there somewher a pure black material somewhere? I've been keeping the brush untextured to get that effect but it doesn't feel right.
  12. - Why do readables not show their text on the surface if not frobbable?

1. Yes, many types of trigger can react to other entities.
  2. Not sure how that's supposed to work...
  3. Or what "slick" is
  4. Bug reports are always welcome on the tracker
  5. There's no need to do that for a blueroom. It'll be a simple rooms or rooms not connected to anything else. You can put a big block of caulk over stuff, which will make dmap quit early, but that technique is only used for debugging purposes. You might get unwanted side effects if you do it to a blueroom. Just leave it as it is, it won't be doing any harm.
  6. The existing lock models will use textures that are part of the game. I think you can see them in DR in the select models window, or failing that, the skins window. You can also look at the prefab chests and containers.
  7. Realism, I guess.
  8. Yes
  9. You can adjust the sound loss on a visportalled door using a spawnarg.
  10. Target them from the worldspawn. Select any worldspawn brush, then select your entity, and ctrl+K to target as usual. You'll be able to tsee the list of targets in the entity inspector as usual by selecting worldspawn and pressing 'N' for entity inspector.
  11. Yes, start to type black_matt in the media browser and you'll find it. Its cousin black_near is very slightly brighter. black_matt is pure black.
  12. They do don't they?

Extra tip, courtesy RJF: don't rely on the search functions on this forum or in the wiki, they are not very helpful. I guess you worked that out already. But Google is great here. Add "site:thedarkmod.com" to your google search and it'll do both the forum and the wiki and find you relevant posts.

You can't light up dark textures easily, but you can darken the lit ones a bit if you want to.

Thanks, I remember that one for future purposes.

It doesn't really help with my current problem (at the moment) as it isn't the problem that the textures are differently lit, but that some don't show up bright over distance, although they represent lit windows.

In particular, it is the texture "frame_ornate_wallsection_lit", which in the editor looks brighter than "diamon_pattern02_softlit", but isn't that way in the game, it is less bright. I would guess because the texture "frame_ornate_wallsection_lit" is a whole window architecture, but it is used for only the windows in some prefabs, and I like the look, so I wondered how to best use that texture in a lit up way.

Okay apparently I've already had B bound to that lol.

And there is pathfinding on that bridge, it's just semi solid, the AI either falls right through or sinks in to his knees.

The player also glides on it and sinks in a bit and can't jump, it's really fucked up.

The collision map file (.cm) is 45 MB, wonder if I've hit some limit...

Maybe the file is screwed up. Try deleting it and re-dmap. 45MB shouldn't be a limit, as the cm is normally the largest file of a FM.

- Is there a particular reason why TDM lacks the invisible, speed and slowfall potions from Thief?

Realism, I guess.

There's a speed potion model - as seen in http://wiki.thedarkm...e:Equipment.jpg - but no corresponding scripting or entity def. I assumed it was just that nobody had got around to implementing it. (Gas mines seem to be a similar case, although Sotha made a custom one: http://forums.thedar...om-mine-thread/ and http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16212-gas-mines-and-mines-in-general/)

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Thanks, I remember that one for future purposes.

It doesn't really help with my current problem (at the moment) as it isn't the problem that the textures are differently lit, but that some don't show up bright over distance, although they represent lit windows.

In particular, it is the texture "frame_ornate_wallsection_lit", which in the editor looks brighter than "diamon_pattern02_softlit", but isn't that way in the game, it is less bright. I would guess because the texture "frame_ornate_wallsection_lit" is a whole window architecture, but it is used for only the windows in some prefabs, and I like the look, so I wondered how to best use that texture in a lit up way.

I forgot to look these up last night sorry, but I can tell what's going on from your description. And yes that's right, the fact that one of the textures is combined with stonework will stop it being lit.

The glass-only version will have the words "blend add" in its material file, which means it doesn't need light to hit it to be seen, it'll always have its full brightness. The stone version won't have that in its shader, so it'll need light to hit it. If you add blend add to the stone version, the stone parts of the texture will glow too. There's no way around that other than to recreate either the stone or the glass as a separate patch, which'll let you use a different material on the glass.

You'll see the difference in DR if you enable lighting preview mode. Without that, everything is drawn at full brightness with or without lights present.