The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4

Tushaar

So what do you guys think about the Thief 4 rumor from Eidos Montreal? :rolleyes: If it wont be thief, i will kill...er hit myself real hard! I saw that they are going to announce the game on 11th May, lets hope it will be a tiff-taffin Thief 4. :P:laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?...596&page=60

http://thereticule.com/2009/05/more-thievery-acoming/

(These evidence pretty much point out to thief 4, lets hope it wont be a sick prank of eidos :P)

Tell your opinions! :P

Isn't T4 supposed to take place in a modern setting?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Isn't T4 supposed to take place in a modern setting?

That was a passing comment made by a 'former' CEO at Eidos, and Ion Storm had started some preliminary planning for it....but...that guy no longer works for Eidos, and Ion Storm is GONE, DEAD, FINI!

From what people are saying at TTLG, this will be another classic Thief title.

God daymn, i will only download it to listen to garrett's voice. =P To be honest i really liked Thief 3, i can't seem to understand why everyone hates it so much. It has "The City" and fences and stuff. Rooftops, secret passages and i dont know why people hate it. :|

The modern thing would ruin thief, i love the whole Hammerite and trickster stuff =P (Nah just the hammers) ^_^

Lets hope Thief 4 wont be fps drainer since i dont have money to buy a new pc :P

Talking about thief, why did you guys chose the Doom 3 engine, why not make thief with the good old Dromed? :P

God daymn, i will only download it to listen to garrett's voice. =P To be honest i really liked Thief 3, i can't seem to understand why everyone hates it so much. It has "The City" and fences and stuff. Rooftops, secret passages and i dont know why people hate it. :|

If you have played the first two games, it should be quite obvious why many disliked TDS. The levels were tiny, split in two, the game was far more forgiving to the players mistakes....and that's not taking the technical limitations into full account. Surely, if you've read that people hate it, you must have read the reasons why they hated it?

Talking about thief, why did you guys chose the Doom 3 engine, why not make thief with the good old Dromed? :P

Because Dromed is ten years old and there is no source code perhaps?

I'm happy to see a new Thief. I don't have too strong an opinion since the Montreal guys don't have any track record yet, and with all the changes Eidos has gone through there's almost no telling what to expect.

I can say the Montreal team has made themselves likeable, so I want to root for them to make a good game. They probably know well enough themselves what the fan reaction will be like when they release the game as they're making their gameplay decisions now.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Funny how much it's history repeating itself ... At least the Tomb Raider Underworld engine has a better track record than the Flesh Engine did.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Whoops, I meant to post this here rather than the internal thread:

Based on reading reviews of Tomb Raider Underworld, it sounds like the mapper has to manually set up every place where you can do acrobatic moves and stuff (not sure if that includes mantling). In that game, the areas where you could do stuff were differentiated by a "lighter color than the surroundings." <_< That would suck for a Thief game if you could mantle some mapper-specified platform but not a random staircase bannister that you want to get over fast. Hopefully this only applies to the more complicated Lara moves and the basic Thief moves will still work on arbitrary map geometry.

I would have to agree that with TR Underworld engine the new thief would be bad. :(

Why would it be bad? Visually, the engine looks quite nice. It's not like they're going to use the engine as is...they'll have to majorly rewrite a lot of stuff, just as our team has rewritten many parts of the D3 engine. The unreal engine had been a great choice for TDS, but that didn't turn out so hot. The engine is only a partial consideration, it's who is using / rewriting it that matters most.

Just because the TR Underworld engine does things a certain way in Tomb Raider doesn't mean they have to do it the same way for a Thief game. It's not like they're making a Tomb Raider mod. lol At least I hope not.

Why would it be bad? Visually, the engine looks quite nice. It's not like they're going to use the engine as is...they'll have to majorly rewrite a lot of stuff, just as our team has rewritten many parts of the D3 engine. The unreal engine had been a great choice for TDS, but that didn't turn out so hot. The engine is only a partial consideration, it's who is using / rewriting it that matters most.

Just because the TR Underworld engine does things a certain way in Tomb Raider doesn't mean they have to do it the same way for a Thief game. It's not like they're making a Tomb Raider mod. lol At least I hope not.

It is nice and all but the gameplay is bad. But hey, that's just my opinion! :)

Fortunately they'll have Deus Ex to practice on first. <_<

Indeed! This is the only thing that somewhat salvaged TDS, the fact that DXIW served as the unruly guinea pig test subject

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I fear that it will be a "modern" Thief game. Since it will probably be written for consoles, it will be marketed to 13 year olds who have no interest in the Victorian era; only that the game comes with 6000 cheat codes in order to avoid the inconvenience of actually playing the game.

I'm sorry to say that this generates no excitement at all for me. Then again, maybe I'm being overly pessimistic so that whatever it ends up being will seem better by comparison....a reverse psychology, if you will. Dark Mod will be the true Thief 4...it's just a matter of time.

-DS:12

--- Author of:

Tomb of Horrors (coming January 2011)

I fear that it will be a "modern" Thief game. Since it will probably be written for consoles, it will be marketed to 13 year olds who have no interest in the Victorian era; only that the game comes with 6000 cheat codes in order to avoid the inconvenience of actually playing the game.

I'm sorry to say that this generates no excitement at all for me. Then again, maybe I'm being overly pessimistic so that whatever it ends up being will seem better by comparison....a reverse psychology, if you will. Dark Mod will be the true Thief 4...it's just a matter of time.

-DS:12

I don't think that's something to be afraid of. I don't think consoles have killed some of the better genres rather just a larger audience is now paying attention to these genres. A larger, albeit, dumber audience. Thus, dumb it down = $$$. But also the rise of popularity means more mainstream games one must sift through to find the real gems. So it's quite a conundrum. If you think about all your favorite games I'm sure they were made fairly far apart in time which reflects that even in an industry with millions of products the real gems take 5+ years for one to be found.

I'm just saying because recently Carmak revieled that his engine works with ps3, xbox 360 and pc simultaneous. But this doesn't mean the assumption that Wolfenstein 3 or Rage or even Doom4 will suck, I doubt they will, since their coming from ID :wub: but rather it shows how consoles have become a huge market to get into which = $$$

The thing I liked about T1 and T2 was the variety though. If you sucked you played it on easy, if you were good you played expert. If you weren't interested in the story, who cares the game was fun. Games seem to miss this now and either force you to A) play a game that's too easy B) play a game that is too hard or C) play a game which forces you to participate in some BS story.