The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4

Tushaar

but rather it shows how consoles have become a huge market to get into which = $$

Yeah, how many movie-based video games have come out that are just TERRIBLE?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I read somewhere the Crystal (Tomb Raider Underworld) engine has been highly modified for Deux Ex 3 and is barely recognizable, whatever that means. Whatever that does mean, you can bet it will be even more so (modified) for T4.

Edit: Here's, its in the faq from the Eidos forums:

WHICH ENGINE & PLATFORM?

Deus Ex 3 will be as cutting edge as possible. The Tomb Raider Underworld engine is the basic platform, but it will be unrecognizable - the dev team is making significant upgrades to it. The DX3 dev team, plus a team of dedicated engineers are working on the engine and its tools, plus there is a team of engineers in Crystal making improvements. DX3 will not resemble TRU at all.

Edited by brethren

It'll be absolutely T4. How did I find out? It's simple. Looked up the domain of Thief4. Guess who got it?

Registrant:

Eidos Plc

Domain Administrator

Wimbledon Bridge House 1 Hartfield Road

London, SW19 3RU

GB

Email:

Registrar Name....: CORPORATE DOMAINS, INC.

Registrar Whois...: whois.corporatedomains.com

Registrar Homepage: www.cscprotectsbrands.com

Domain Name: thief4.com

Created on..............: Tue, Dec 30, 2008

Expires on..............: Sun, Apr 04, 2010

I'm looking forward to Thief4, as long as they make sure that it stays true to the Spirit of the Series, and doesn't get mushed up into something that is catered specifically to an adolescent target-audience.

Hopefully it's also still about Garrett, and doesn't end up being mainly about that girl you see in the ending of TDS <_<

Nice work, Swordbreaker! It is a mystery no longer.

Rebb, I'd be OK with a new protagonist. I'd prefer Garrett, but my doubts about a new hero were vanquished with T2X. Unless T4 is about Garrett's duties as a keeper, I think that it might be wise to develop a new character....as long as it's not a muscle-bound Conan clone or a young lady with breasts the size of bowling balls. There are websites for that sort of thing.

...I guess I am a bit excited; I just don't want to be let down again like T3.

-DS:12

--- Author of:

Tomb of Horrors (coming January 2011)

What does that have to do with them building a Thief game on it though? Like I said, it's not like they'll be using straight from tombraider, it will have to be rewritten.

Im sorry for my stupidity, it will not happen again. =P

I'm not so much worried about the development studio, who hopefully will remain true to the series, as I am the publishers. Eidos is going downhill with its continued insistence on flogging that old, dead horse Lara Croft; I'd feel more comfortable if the IP were in better hands.

Then again the whole publishing industry is consolidating so rapidly that soon the only other hands would be Ubisoft's or, heaven forbid, EA. :unsure:

I just look forward to the death of all publishers, and a whole online marketplace, no more physical copies of games, developers just "publish" directly on their own terms and time table, and I don't have to swap discs!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

That'd be great if the the quality could be guaranteed, there was tech help and we didn't get what happens with many mods and total conversions - burn out because people are doing it in spare time.

Incidentally - I was wondering what people think about timing re: TDM release and Thief 4 announcement and then release? I strikes me that Thief 4 will likely be out at the same time or soon after any big campaign that is made in a T2X style.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Incidentally - I was wondering what people think about timing re: TDM release and Thief 4 announcement and then release? I strikes me that Thief 4 will likely be out at the same time or soon after any big campaign that is made in a T2X style.

I would say that this probably won't be a problem for two reasons:

1. TDM is a community project with no goal towards making a profit (as far as I know) ;)

and;

2. Considering how much effort and how long it took to get an editor for TDS I wouldn't hold my breath that any Thief 4 will come with a ready to use editor or any support.

Edited by SplaTtzZ

I don't know about any large T2X-like campaigns, as you say, but certainly there will be some great awesome missions that get planned, developed, and released, within a year or two of mod release, all well before any Thief 4 release (which is probably 3 years away)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I just thought with the time it takes to make a big campaign Thief 4 would almost be on us. I doubt we'll get an editor with it so TDM will be the main source of FMs for many, many years. And I bet people mod it to look more like T4 - provided T4 doesn't suck of course.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

We know what the whole point of this sequels are... use an existing successful title to reach new audience. I'm not sure I really understand the logic of this, but it's what they do.

I'm such a pessimist! :D Let's just wait and see...

And another thing, it's a new 'project'! so probably isn't going to be finished anytime this year. I think :P

We know what the whole point of this sequels are... use an existing successful title to reach new audience. I'm not sure I really understand the logic of this, but it's what they do.

Who said anything about a new audience? The point of a sequel is to capitalise on the success of a title by selling the same thing again to an already-established fan base. Expanding the audience is nice, but not a necessity.