The Dark Mod Forums

Tools And Game Integration

medievalradley

I never used a forum before so please forgive my lack of edict ... is this the correct place...

Can the dromed darkloader and other such tools be integrated into a DARK MOD STARTSMART that direct you to either one tool or another.

Not having to hunt for one tool to view 3d models and one to pack you missions would be great. Having the FM mission loader, game dromed(like) reskining tools, and all other cool Tools all integrated into a single package so you can: build levels play others levels, and do all that funky FM making you and I love to do.

Or are the tools all going to be loose separate little programs.

could there be at least a shell that runs several plugin programs. with help integrated some

Depending on the development work, we will need additional software to implement, in order to make the editing easier. First we have to figure out what we will need, though. Currently we are writing this manually into the files, but it would be better to create editors for this stuff. And I think we will do this when everything is locked down enough that it makes sense to write higher level applications (aka editors).

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

I never used DOOMEDIT

i don't have doom 3 (but plan on getting it just so i can use the DARK MOD)

Is there anything I need to know about DOOM 3 before I purchase.

for instance are there versions that i should not get...that maybe don't have the editor or aren't as good or something like that you no like THIEF AND THIEF GOLD

if I go to buy this game what should I make sure to get...

are the ones on EBAY ($10-20) as good as the ones from WALMART($34.99)

by the way i think you guys are great

thanks

Nope, the Doom 3 editor is packed in with the game itself..you access it by making a shortcut and adding a couple of strings on the command line. Or if you wanna go with something a little different you can get GTKradiant from www.qeradiant.com, they've recently added realtime lighting in the editor, so I might switch to it myself once they get a stable build up and running.

And grabbing it from Wal-Mart gives you the advantage of not paying cash and finding out that someone embossed their name on the CD's with a screwdriver. Unless it's a rare or older title I usually go for the brand new untouched copy.

Only thing you have to make sure is to install the 1.1 patch. Otherwise the SDK code will not work. By the time you grab it you probalby get a version which is already patched. Just make sure. But you will notice this anyway, because you get an error message when you try to load the mod and you can't run it.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

I went and bought DOOM 3 and entered the code into the console EDITOR

it came up but my mouse cursore doesnt apeer inside the editor.

my mouse is invisible inside the editor window.

HOW to fix this or is it the way it is suposed to be?

thanks

got to get some practice using this editor

i also bought THIEF 3

like some diddnt like others DIDNT LIKE SOME AI Spawning over and over

CLOUDY LOADING AREA NOT COOL

help?

Have you got the editor in NOT fullscreen? (it's got problems with it)

To turn it on or off, in doomconfig.cfg, put:

r_fullscreen 0

or, make a shortcut to Doom3.exe and put this to get the editor into fullscreen automatically on start:

(path to doom3)\Doom3.exe +r_fullscreen 0 +seta com_AllowConsole 1 +editor +set sv_pure 0 +set fs_game darkmod +vid_restart

--Dram

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, it's me again.

So, what tools do you prefer or recommend besides DoomEdit for the DarkMod?

Until now I used anim8or, but it seems that there are problems concerning the export of triangulated objects. What do you think: MilkShape, Blender or what else?

Then, for creating bumped textures, I found the ORB-Tool. Seems quite ok, except that anim8or doesn't provide the corret object-files.

For painting I try The Gimp.

What else to I need?

Ed

-> Live long and prosper <-

Blender is probably best if you want a free tool which has some support for D3 (custom made exporter).

ORB is a great free solution for normalmaps, but there are other free plugins depending on what program you use. If you want dirtier results, there is one for the GIMP that does an alright job of guessing the bumpiness.

The team's modellers use either Lightwave or 3DSMax. Maya is a recommended package to create animations. But of all those are commericial apps, and expensive at that. GIMP is a fine (and free) alternative to Photoshop, should be fine to create textures from photos or scratch. I use it myself.

Aside from that, you're sorted for making models and textures.

My question is how to do some sort of objectcast lighting.

I can figure out how to make a room and put light in it. But I cant figure out if or where al the light objects are located.

how do i make objects self lit

how do i make objects self illuminated

how do i find object lights

How els can I make light besides using right click and presto three is a light.

why is the light all square (cube)

how about weather in game (side note)

are you guys going to create objects with light already coming out of them: torches, lamps, lanterns,chem-lights

one more? is about the way doom3 handles light or is it my video card

For instance in level one the guy who says "IM getting of this rock" or something like that the guy sitting the second person you meet in the game his face is dark on one side really dark on the other side is normal. The lighting is like what I have heard the moon lighting is dark places are really dark...

if this (my card) is rendering light correctly (the way intended) way the engine handles light and if that is the way it handles light then it is wrong ... are you guys going to re right the way doom3 handles light...

thanks

how do i make objects self lit

how do i make objects self illuminated

how do i find object lights

How els can I make light besides using right click and presto three is a light.

isn't point 1 and 2 more or less the same? anyway you can only make an object self-lit with a specific material - for example:

models/props/lights/lantern/walllight1window

{
[...] //unimportant stuff 
{
blend   
map    models/props/lights/lantern/walllight1_d.tga
rgb 1 //that makes the texture self-illuminated
}

an object can't be a lightsource in D3 you always have to "attach" a lightsource to it. of course this can be automated - means that when you add an object "wallight" the lightsource is already attached to the object with specific settings.

• 2 weeks later...

ok just to clarify I am talking about in DROMED because that is my only knowledge of level editors

there are two different properties that can be added to an object wether it is a light or an AI or an end table.

one was "self lit [] which means the object projected light out of its self but was not lit by that light (it surfaces ignored the light and remained dark only lit by other light sources

the other was "self illuminated []" which meant that the object appeared to be lit (its own surfaces are bright) but it sheds no light into the air brush

I don't think "point 1 and 2 more or less the same?"

ok so things are a lot different from one editor to the next. and i need lots tutelage on the doom edit.

PS has any one got a chance to use the THIEF DS Editor... can they give me some pros and cons of doom edit verses thief edit

I am having trouble deciding which editor I want to devote my time to. I mean i understand doom edit right away but I got lost looking at thief edit the first time. I want to give thief edit a chance. but on the other hand dark mod looking so good... PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Doom 3 works a bit different in that you have to assign those 2 options from the material file or the mapscript instead of within the editor itself. To make it glow without casting light just do what BT said above, like:

{
{
blend  
rgb 1 //that makes the texture self-illuminated
}

or if you want to have better control of the color:

{
{
blend  
red     0.4
green  0.8
blue    0.1
}

To get a material to cast light you'll have to tie an emitter to it...and that's something I haven't had to do yet. I'll get Domarius up here to explain how to do that since he did it for our fire arrows.

As for which editor to use....we're still a ways away from release, while T3Ed is out now. Learn em both and get a leg up on everyone. ;)

Here is the part from def\monster_demon_imp.def that lights up the projectile;

"mtr_light_shader" "lights/impflyflash"

"light_color" "0.9 0.7 0.05"

"light_radius" "160"

"light_offset" "0 0 100"

That comes under entityDef projectile_impfireball { which is where the "fireball" projectile is defined.