The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Crown of Penitence by Jesps (2009/10/17)

Fidcal

There's a bug in this mission by the way. If you go into Lord Rowlett's study and mantle on top of his bookshelf, due to the code somehow you end up floating up outside the map boundaries. I'll upload a save of it when I have time.

I cannot seem to get it to do that. Is it something you can replicate, or did it just happen once?

Not tried to replicate it (yet). I'll try it again when I have some time. I've got a save file of it, and I'll try to get a vid of the glitch if I can. Be back later.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

• 1 month later...

This was a nice little quick mission! May I ask how much time you spent to build that one?

I really liked the structure of the building in wich the rooms are well-arranged.

To find the crown was a bit tricky, bur not frustrating. Well balanced!

The AI placement was really good - often I was surprised by a guard who came right in the room.

Very nice mission! The video was cool too ;)

EDIT:

At the top of the stairs, that huge red carpet doesn't quite fit, and so the very corner has been upturned against the wall. I LOVE detail like that. It's as if they ordered that huge thing only to realise that the dimensions were slightly off.

No one would send it back. Oh well, just turn the corner up a little. :laugh:

Noticed that too - I was really staggered on that! Love it!

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I'm stuck... :(

I've looked everywhere, but I can't seem to unlock the door to upstairs. The note by the door says to check with Capt. Bernard, but I admit I don't know where he is. Since I've KO'd everyone I've tried to double-check all the bodies for a key, but I can't seem to find one. If it dropped off a guard's (or Bernard's?) belt onto the ground when I KO'd them, then it will be like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm hoping I don't have to re-start the mission :)

I also see a charred note in the fireplace implying I can find a secret switch in the kitchen. Not sure if that's where a secret switch will be or not, but that's how I interpret the note. I can't find one there for the life of me (unless I already flipped it a long time ago, before seeing the charred note and have just forgotten; but I don't think that is the case). I've scoured everywhere else in the level, too, trying to find what I need to do next... but I can't seem to progress any farther in this mission. Thus, I'm stuck :)

After spending an hour or two in just being "stuck" -- apparently missing one little switch or one little key -- I'm just looking for the a "walkthrough" type of answer to the above to help a poor taffer out so I can get to the next area.

The only one I know about is the

key: it is on the belt of one of the guards patrolling right before the door you want to open.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The only one I know about is the

key: it is on the belt of one of the guards patrolling right before the door you want to open.

Ahh, thank you. That worked...

Found it! It hadn't fallen off his belt, it was just hard to see and obtain the way he was lying on the floor.

Fun mission, thanks! :)

• 3 months later...

Very little, but nice looking mission and nice patrol routes! Sadly I had again the missing footsteps bug, so I was really annoyed and almost quit before finishing. But I didn´t.

I even found all loot but one!! Where is the last coin? Talk now!;) Very likely I just oversaw it. Or is there a place with only one well hidden coin? I doubt it.

I was long searching for the crown until

I found the burned note and then I just knew the safe is for sure behind the painting and those vases looked suspicious, too. B)

I was happy to see almost everything frobable. I don´t know why some other missions don´t support this, because the frobsystem is so great for luring guards and mess around.

But the mission briefing: very beautiful to watch, but I wasn´t able to read all in time! The text was far too short displayed, really! I had to restart the briefing four or five times to read everything.

Please, FM authors, think about the people that don´t have English as their mother language! I would suggest a scrollable briefing-text-only-screen just after the briefing as an option! Could you do that, please? Because this wasn´t the first mission where I had this problem.

And for the readables in the game: the scrolltexts were so little! I don´t think most of the people in Bridgeport have such good eyes to read this, especially the dumb guards!

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I even found all loot but one!! Where is the last coin? Talk now!wink.gif Very likely I just oversaw it. Or is there a place with only one well hidden coin? I doubt it.

There is one coin under the table with the dice, near the kitchen

Nice mission. Lots of details in the architecture, I allways like to see that in missions. Nice gameplay as well.

Only problem I had was getting all the loot from the safe due to frobbing issue's. Specially the gold stack coins was difficult to get highlighted.

At the top of the stairs, that huge red carpet doesn't quite fit, and so the very corner has been upturned against the wall. I LOVE detail like that. It's as if they ordered that huge thing only to realise that the dimensions were slightly off.

No one would send it back. Oh well, just turn the corner up a little. laugh.gif

Yeah saw that as well, loved it!

• 4 weeks later...

Really liked this mission, though it was small. Great, logical architecture, torch placement, etc. Since I had read a few comments before playing, I had to smile when I saw the corner of the rug, too. Personally, I liked how you lit the inside of the safe... now that was a nice tick on the nostalgia meter! I feel sorry for the lord of the manor, though; it seems more an apartment. Truly he has seen some hard times!

Also,

I'm really glad to see such a good use of hidden switches! I've missed those in most FM's and even real Thief missions. Incidentally, I couldn't see the effect of throwing the switch in the dining hall... does it turn on a light somewhere?

Great piece of work!

207115_1788633687853_1599901965_31729336_1424191_n.jpg

Also,

I'm really glad to see such a good use of hidden switches! I've missed those in most FM's and even real Thief missions. Incidentally, I couldn't see the effect of throwing the switch in the dining hall... does it turn on a light somewhere?

Great piece of work!

That's the light over the dining table but as I recall it might still glow even though not casting light. I'm not sure.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Finished this right now. Short and sweet, I just *love* robbery missions.

A few things:

The safe cannot be closed, so apparently the alarm will always be "called". Does it affect my Stealth Score at all? I ended up knocking the guy unconscious just to prevent that. Either way I was going to lose my ghost, so I choose the most silent method.

The beginning seriously scared me. When I opened the door to the cellar I found 2 servants and a guard all looking toward me. I thought, what the hell, if this is the beginning this mission is going to be a nightmare!! So I also knocked down the first servant. Now that I know how the mission plays, I wouldn't do that again, but still.

I ended up finding all the loot after the first successful complete. This never happened to me before! I'm kinda happy about it.

Still, I regret knocking down that servant...

• 5 months later...

Fairly well constructed for a small mission me thinks, it provides 2 ways around into the main area just before you go up the stairs and some hidden loot that I found thanks to a idea I got from a previous mission.

I found it to be a fairly good mission visually speaking, even though it was all in doors it had quite a good constrast between basement and servant quarters and the main house, story is not much to speak of and the gameplay although not long or tough it did pose a challenge with 2 instances of AI noticing things missing... but at the same time:

Problems

The guard in the hallway noticing an ornament is gone

The boss dude noticing that his safe has been ransacked

While makes sense problem is it affects your stealth score.

Does anyone know of a way to close the wall safe again after you've robbed it? I imagined this would be the way to stop the theft being noticed, but when I went to press the button again, it wasn't frobbable.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

Problems

The guard in the hallway noticing an ornament is gone

The boss dude noticing that his safe has been ransacked

While makes sense problem is it affects your stealth score.

Does anyone know of a way to close the wall safe again after you've robbed it? I imagined this would be the way to stop the theft being noticed, but when I went to press the button again, it wasn't frobbable.

Guards noticing missing things seem to me like a key element of the game.

There is no way to close the safe again, unfortunately. I think it had something to do with the safe door acting strange it you frobbed the button several times quickly.

I guess it affects the people who wish to ghost a mission and obtain "Perfect thief mode", ie cause no second level alerts, kill or knock out no one & obtain maximum loot (& injure no one, including monster AI). Unless you claim such an alert isn't one that is caused by someone seeing or hearing you but the stealth score is thusly affected.

It makes sense for AI not to go on alert if there is a extinguished torch or a door is found unlocked, or if they notice their keys are gone because there is no way around that the majority of the time. Stealing loot is the point of the game, eventhough in real life missing valuables would make someone suspicious its a counter intuitive to the objective ghosters or anyone who puts strict requirements on themselves.

I am sort of being devils advocate here, I'm more of a pragmatic but I understand why some would want to be a perfect thief.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 3 years later...
Just finished it on difficult. Just what I was looking for, a quick FM to play.

+Nice introduction.

+Nice readables.

+I like the crown model. Very cool.

+Intuitive, easy level progression.

+Good NPCs patrol routes.

+No bugs. This is a big plus to me.

-A little bit too easy.

-Very straightforward progression.

-No exterior (that also means no alternative entrance). I would like too see how the house look from the outside.

But despite that, considering how old this mission is, I guess it is pretty solid work.

Well, thanks for the FM!

Edited by Jon Irenicus
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I've just finished it and... wow the mission's almost 10 years now.

For me it has an outstanding flow and, what has been already mentioned, very very good patrol routes. In this case the lack of difficulty (I did it on the highest but it still was quite easy) is more of a plus because the mission feels like "come on, Garrett, in and out, 20 minutes adventure".

Also it may seem a bit strange but I kinda liked the... door handles. Is that how they did the door handles for TDM back in 2009? A nice diversity.

Edited by Lex
  • Like 1

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 1 year later...

A nice, simple mansion heist. I enjoyed this one. I liked the tight patrol routes with sufficient (if tricky) shaded places to hide.

Finished with al but about 100 of the loot, and I think my only alerts were from people noticing things were missing.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle