The Dark Mod Forums

Ubuntu - Doom 3 - ATI

Land-Vogt

Hey Guys,

has anyone of you any experience with running doom3 on ubuntu 9.04? It runs with about 0.5 FPS on my PC, i remember playing it with windows and it worked fine. I have a ATI Radeon x1950 and I know the open-source (ati doesn't support that card anymore) drivers are not that good, but maybe you can help me anyway.

Otherwise i would have to buy a new small hard-drive for a windows installation :-(

Edited by Land-Vogt

I don't think i have any unpartitioned space on my harddisk. Is it possible to resize my current linux-partition without loosing the data, or can i even install ubuntu 8.04 on the same partition?

Sorry for the newbie questions, i'm pretty new to ubuntu. :-/

Edit @LeatherMan

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

direct rendering: Yes

I think i activated DRI in the xorg.conf, but it's pretty confusing :-D

Edited by Land-Vogt

So, I installed ubuntu 8.04..

Good news: the graphics work

Bad news: now theres no working audio in the game. :-/

Do you use KDE or Gnome? (I guess the latter, tho, or you would have said "Kubuntu"). Anyway, with Kubuntu you have the problem that some sound output grabs the sound device, and then for X seconds afterwards, other apps (like D3) can't use it. So if you get some of the "error dings" or something and then start D3 => no sound. Workaround for me is, make sure no sound is playing and then start D3.

Maybe this helps?

Also, do you have sound outside the game?

Sorry to hear you have problems under Linux, we didn't have too many configurations to test on...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, everything works fine outside doom3. I made some corrections with the pulse audio server (Pulse Audio Fixes), ALSA seems to work now, still doom3 won't play any sound.

Maybe this can help:

(...)dlopen(libasound.so.2)
asoundlib version: 1.0.16
Alsa is available
------ Alsa Sound Initialization -----
snd_pcm_open SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK 'default' failed: No such file or directory
dlclose
WARNING: sound subsystem disabled

--------------------------------------
----------- Alsa Shutdown ------------(...)

Edit: yes, i have GNOME ;-)

question: is ALSA 1.0.16 > 1.0.6?

Edit2: sometimes i get another error

i

dAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 4096 frames overflowed and dropped

Edited by Land-Vogt

Yes. Despite the dots, it's not a decimal number. 0.10.0 is bigger than 0.9.0, and so on. :)

I can't help you with your sound problem I'm afraid, sorry.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yes, everything works fine outside doom3. I made some corrections with the pulse audio server (Pulse Audio Fixes), ALSA seems to work now, still doom3 won't play any sound.

Maybe this can help:

(...)dlopen(libasound.so.2)
asoundlib version: 1.0.16
Alsa is available
------ Alsa Sound Initialization -----
snd_pcm_open SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK 'default' failed: No such file or directory
dlclose
WARNING: sound subsystem disabled

--------------------------------------
----------- Alsa Shutdown ------------(...)

I would need to google this. Edit: Could you run tdmlauncher under strace:

strace -f -e open tdmlauncher.linux

and post what files it tries to open (only when it says "no such file" of course :)

Edit: yes, i have GNOME ;-)

Edit2: sometimes i get another error

i

dAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 4096 frames overflowed and dropped

This is harmless, I get this all the time, but the sound works fine here so far.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Oh, fudge.. sorry for the wasted time.. I forgot to patch that damned game, now the sound seems to work, except that it seems to lag about 1 sec behind the graphics, if you understand what I'm trying to say :-/

anyway, now i can try to install the Mod :-)

Yeah, the patch always gets forgetten :) I wish we could roll the patch into our own mod to remove that unnec. complicated step. Maybe when D3 goes open source.

Glad you figured it out!

Doom 3 on Linux apparently has really dodgy sound support, and uses OSS rather than ALSA. I can't suggest any specific fixes, but maybe there's something OSS-driver-related you can fiddle with.

I believe there's an auto-lockpick setting that you may be able to rely on in the meantime.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

So, I tried killing pulseaudio, which resulted in no sound. Then I|ve tried to get the oss drivers working which resulted in a system crash. Now Ive installed windows, but it just didnt want to be installed over any other partition but the one where i had my original ubuntu installed. Okaz.. and now after installing windows i cant get the ubuntu reinstalled and work again because i just cant get the grub loader installed and i get an fatal error durin the ubuntu installation. It seems like windows and ubuntu try reallu hard NOT to be compatible.

Sorry, im reallz frustrated. Windows doesn|t even get that i have a german kezboard. >/&

I wish i had the monez for a second hard drive..

Now i hope that i get doom3 to run right on windows at least.

damn

So, I tried killing pulseaudio, which resulted in no sound. Then I|ve tried to get the oss drivers working which resulted in a system crash. Now Ive installed windows, but it just didnt want to be installed over any other partition but the one where i had my original ubuntu installed. Okaz.. and now after installing windows i cant get the ubuntu reinstalled and work again because i just cant get the grub loader installed and i get an fatal error durin the ubuntu installation. It seems like windows and ubuntu try reallu hard NOT to be compatible.

Sorry, im reallz frustrated. Windows doesn|t even get that i have a german kezboard. >/&

I wish i had the monez for a second hard drive..

Now i hope that i get doom3 to run right on windows at least.

damn

Sorry that you are having these issues, but I really hope the Windows version you installed isn't 7...

Ahh, good. :) The reason I said that is because ATI doesn't support your X1950 under 7.

Ummm, they are still supported... I have had no issue installing a 1900XT in 7 with 9.8's

(you can install newer, tho it requires editing the inf or using the vista driver)

The reason companies do this is that if they officially support old products, they have to actually support them, that means that they have to test a whole extra family of cards etc, nvidia actually have a more aggressive policy towards removing old card support, and hacknig the inf for them is a bit more effort.

If I were in your shoes I would be looking for a better way to get fglrx working (tho current versions dont have explicit support for your card, older should be ok), Ubuntu is pretty terrible about letting you hack around and update/do whatever you want however.

Another thing to look at is if your drm/dri/mesa libs are up to date with radeonhd and xorg. I know a few friends said that q4 and quakewars were playable(30fps+) on radeonhd, but that was with 3xxx series cards which had full documentation provided. This is an issue with more binary oriented distros and OS's.

Edited by Serpentine