The Dark Mod Forums

Post your System Configuration here

greebo

IdTech4 engine will basically lock you to 60 FPS max.

Yes the cap is a little unfortunate but I'm happy with 60fps for this kind of game. I did read that you can set the ticrate value to -1 to unlock the fps cap but it makes D3 games unplayable allegedly because it causes desync with the physics. I'm not going to bother fiddling.

- Model: Toshiba Tecra S10-10E

- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4 GHZ)

- RAM: 4 GB DDR2

- GPU: nVidia Quadro NVS 150M, 256 MB, 64-bit

- Driver: 327.23 (2013-09-19)

Playing at 1280x800 with everything else turned off in order to maximize FPS.

The only real problem I have is loading time, it's never under 1 minute.

FPS sometimes does drop low, but it recovers within few seconds.

Funny thing is, I do have a gaming PC, but I use it only if the game can't be run on this laptop, and this game can.

• 2 weeks later...

My specs are:

System Manufacturer/Model Number HP Pavillion G7-2251dx

OS Windows 8 64 bit

CPU AMD A-8 4500M - Quad Core

Memory 8 Gigabytes DDR3 sdram

Graphics Card Discrete ATI Radeon HD 7640G with 2 Gigs additional video memory

Sound Card IDT Audio

Monitor(s) Displays 17.3

Screen Resolution 1600x900

Hard Drives 500 gig

Internet Speed 3.5 mb/sec

This is an HP laptop with one of those new APU types of CPU's. For a 400 dollar laptop this is the best gaming rig I ever had.. better than my desktop. It has played all modern games on it, (AAA games from this year) at medium to high settings with high frame rate so I cannot complain. It beats the xbox 360 for gaming.

The Dark Mod plays like it was made for this PC..high framerate on high settings with no stuttering or slowdowns. but then these system specs are way higher than Doom 3 ever required.

Edited by Dark Phoenix

• 2 weeks later...

CPU: Intel i5 2400 Quad-Core, 3.10 GHz

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700

Driver version: 9.12.0.0

Resolution: 1440:900 (16:10)

RAM: 4.00 GB

I'm using a desktop which is a few years old. Ingame performance is good, fluctuating between 50 and 60 fps with good graphics settings. (2xAA, 4xAnisotropicF, Better LOD) Loading a mission for the first time after starting darkmod takes quite a while: Training takes about 30 seconds, while Tears of Lucia takes about a minute. Turning off Catalyst AI and using uncompressed images doesn't have a discernible effect. Afterwards, loading a save only takes about 2-3 seconds. Starting up The Dark Mod shows a gray screen for a moment before the main menu appears.

Edited by Solar Prominence

CPU: Intel i5-3450 quad core ~3.5GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 (Driver version 13.152.0.0)

RAM: 8 GB

I get around 30-60 fps on max, 1680x1050. My experience is similar to Solar Prominence's - it takes about 10-20 seconds to load a map after starting Dark Mod, then it only takes a second or two to load saves. I get the grey screen too.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Windows 7 Ultimate / Debian

I5 3570k oc'd @ 4.0GHz

12 GB 1600MHz CL9 RAM

Asus GTX 760 (Looking to SLI soon)

Asus P8Z77-v mobo

500GB WD RE4 HDD

128GB Crucial M4 SSD

64GB Crucial M4 SSD

P_20131214_150416.jpg Ignore the spaghetti

Overall performance: Runs more or less everything I throw at it with no problem. Crysis 2 on max settings has no problems, whereas on my old Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 which I had to RMA, the FPS would not even break 40 frames.

Edited by MasterHelpo

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

• 4 weeks later...

CPU: Intel C2Q 6600, 2.4GHz

Video Card: nVidia GT610 1GB

Driver version: 331.49

Resolution: 1920x1080

RAM: 2GB

Turned off all antialiasing etc stuff, followed the tweak guide in the wiki.

Seems to run fine, hard to read the fps counter as it changes so rapidly but seems to be 40-50 fps on average.

Turning around there seems to be a bit of jerkiness but I get this even at lower resolutions.

I should probably check and see if I can fix my 9600GT no-signal issue...

Edited by mips

Acer v5-171-9661 owner here.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9 GHz

Video: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (128 MB)

Xorg: 1.14

RAM: 8GB

Works unexpectedly well, I get no less then 30 FPS through all the maps tested so far (which is way more than in Morrowind).

Apparently it uses S3TC compression and it's not enough to have it enabled in driconf as usual. Initially game was broken since there were no shadows at all. Disabling image compression in config file or installing libtxc_dxtn (gives better framerates) fixed the issue though.

The only problem which I found yet is that dynamic shadows currently are uniformly black, which is annoying in a few places where they are dancing from close light sources, but I've seen the same stuff on youtube, so I guess that's a common problem.

Oh, and apparently my lappy's screen is total crap. Lighting becomes very unrealistic indoors if I turn brightness and gamma up to see the letters on that wall from the tutorial.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bought myself an up-to-date rig:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 3.3 GHz
Graphics card: NVidia Geforce GTX 770
Sound card: ASUS Xonar DS
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-K
Ram: 8 GB
OS: Windows 8 Home Premium 64-bit Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Tried 3 missions so far, the Traning mission, Home again by grayman, and Return to the city by Melan & Bikerdude, all run constantly above 60 fps, limited by VSync, in CPU heavy places, it can go down to 52-54 fps. And under water, frame rate drops to about ~30 fps. With the following settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080
Vertical sync: Yes
Antialiasing: 8x
Anisotropy: 16x
Environemental Lighting: Extended (or whatever it is called in english)
Shader: Extended
Effects: On
Bloom level: Middle setting
LOD: Many

Really happy to be able to play TDM lagless on almost max now, and any other game. :D

Edited by chakkman

• 2 weeks later...

- Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64 Bit)

- Intel Core i7-4770 @3.4Ghz

- 8Gb Ram

- Nvidia Quadro K600 (192 cores, 1Gb Frame Buffer)

- Nvidia Graphics Driver 320.09

- Unzipped the AtomicGamer DarkMod_2.0.zip file, ran tdm_update.exe and TDM worked out of the box

Running with 16:9 aspect ratio 1920x1080res, fullscreen, no vsync, antialias off & texture anisotropy at 1x

• 5 months later...

CPU: Intel 3.4Ghz, 64 bit.

Memory: 32 Gb Ram,

Sound: VIA Chipset on motherboard

Video Card: Nvidia 760GTX vid card with 2Gb Vram

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro.

Resolution 1920 x 1080

HD: 1 Tb C: and 500Gb used only for downloads. (easy way to rebuild)

Not sure of the other stuff, but with TDM everything is set to max quality and I get

beautiful performance on any map. The same performance when recording videos

with Shadowplay.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Acer v5-171-9661 owner here.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9 GHz

Video: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (128 MB)

Xorg: 1.14

RAM: 8GB

Works unexpectedly well, I get no less then 30 FPS through all the maps tested so far (which is way more than in Morrowind).

Apparently it uses S3TC compression and it's not enough to have it enabled in driconf as usual. Initially game was broken since there were no shadows at all. Disabling image compression in config file or installing libtxc_dxtn (gives better framerates) fixed the issue though.

I guess this trick should be added to the wiki?

And yes, dynamic shadows are uniformly "dark", TDM has no soft-shadows yet.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 months later...

- Operating System: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
- CPU: Intel Core i-5, 3,3 Ghz
- System RAM: 4gb ddr4
- Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX750
- Experienced Performance: eveything works perfectly fine on max settings on my native 1440x900 resolution. It's really cool.

Edited by Lex

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 8 months later...

Hi I'm new to the forums but have been playing TDM for some time now and love the Mod/Game.

System Specs

OS - Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

CPU - FX 8350 8-Core 4.0GHz

RAM - 8gb HyperX DDR3 1866mhz

Video Card - Asus GTX 980 4gb Strix

Driver Version 355.60

Hard drives 2x 500gb western digital caviar black

SSD 2x 120gb

My Experienced and Performance with TDM has been really good I play at (1920x1080) all setting maxed out. I have had 2 .CTD as a new map was loading up 1. quick save crash but other than that the game runs just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

OS - Windows 7 pro.

CPU - i5-2500K @4.4GHz

RAM - 8GB

GPU - MSI GTX 780 3GB VRAM

Play at 1920 x 1080 with all settings at max and get a constant 62fps which I've read is because TDM is capped at 60fps, the system could easily deliver more fps as Afterburner shows the GPU is only using around 65%.

Edited by Eyeshine

Haha, I have the same CPU. Do you use the overclocking tools it came with?

Um, scuse my ignorance, I'm not sure what those tools are? I just turned the multiplier up to 44 in the BIOS, no voltage changes or anything else and it's been running like that for over two years with no problems, I considered building another new PC using an i7 but as I game at 1920x1080 it's not worth it as the i5 does all I need but 4K monitors are now available at sensible prices so I might have to build a new PC soon, I just find building PC's rather adictive with all those shiny new parts!

There was a driver CD with my board which had some Intel Overclocking Software, since this CPU was made for overclocking, but I always feared that it would burn down the house if I do so. :D

From my little understanding I think that the CPU is still a really nice one and what you would need to focus on is a second GPU and SSD drive. :o

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Ah, mobo software, yes there was an OC program on the disc called Easy Tune that came with the board (Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3) but I never tried it as it was overly complicated with various stages of OC so you could make various OC profiles for different situtations, I'm no OCing expert all I want is a stable OC 24/7, seems a bit pointless to turn down the OC just because you aren't gaming.

I use Afterburner to OC the gpu, the latest version has real easy to use boost feature which give the GTX 780 a nice 10% boost for only 4-5 degree increase in temp but you can make a more agressive fan profile in Afterburner which brings the temp back down again and the fans on the MSI 780 are very quiet so there's no increase in fan noise.

Yes that's Easy Tune! I never touched it. And I accidentally installed something like "On Off Charge" (Gigabyte Board too) which now makes all my USB devices blink in the night, even if the PC is turned off. What the hell...

Well I never tried such custom fan software yet as it seems the board can handle this pretty well. But I bought two seperate fans when I bought my GPU which was a big piece and I feared that my little desktop PC would overheat. I can recomment the "Be Quiet" fans really! As soon as my HDD turns off (Windows runs on SSD) you barely notice that the PC is on.

So you do recomment to setup the system / external fans manually?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

There are often fan speed settings in the BIOS if the fans are run from the mobo but it's a pain having to do that every time you want to change fan speeds but you can use Speedfan if the fans are run from the mobo, speedfan also does a lot more than that as well, I have used it before and it can take a while to set up properly and it works well but speedfan can only control fans running from the mobo as it uses the mobo sensors so if you want more fans than can be pugged into the mobo you need a manual controller.

I modded a big old Thermaltake case and wanted some bling so I used a touch sensitive manual fan speed controller for the four case fans and the CPU fan, it takes up two drive bays but you can get smaller controllers, it's easier and quicker to adjust fan speeds with a manual controller but speedfan is free, depends how many fans you have and which you prefer, they both do the same thing.

29.1%20Finished.jpg

temp%20screen%20blue.jpg

Edited by Eyeshine
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hardware: Core i7 920 CPU, clocked from stock 2.66 GHz to 3.00 GHz. 9GB triple-channel DDR3 memory. Radeon HD 6870 video card.

Software: Linux openSUSE 13.2 x64, KDE 4.14.9. MESA 10.3.7 on Gallium / AMD BARTS.

Apart from notorious and solvable sound issues with PulseAudio, TDM 2.03 runs very well and at a good performance (I didn't measure and note average FPS yet). Since I'm one of the fewer people who play games on the free video driver (Mesa) instead of the proprietary one (fglrx), I should especially keep an eye on things and report anything out of the ordinary :)

• Like 1