The Dark Mod Forums

Problems running Fan Missions?

greebo

I fixed an error in the black textures section.

seta image_useCompression should be "0"

All this would do is recompress all the textures, increase load times, and make everything look worse.

Ah thanx for catching this. Maybe we should also mention somewhere prominent that you need a graphic card capable of using compressed textures?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 6 months later...

Are nVidia users affected by severe slow-downs from the Light-Shafts (God Rays?) as ATI seems to be? Might there be a way to avoid this pitfall via updated shader code? (Have the performance implications of this effect been broached before???) I saw this in the Training Mission (lock picking area) but the Forrest in NHAT seems to use a similar effect(?)... (Disabling Catalyst AI helps a little for the Training Mission)... (for reference) P4 3.0ghz ATI 4650 1GB AGP Catalyst 9.10

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 4 weeks later...

For the curious:

The almost all types of light rays can be disabled by renaming the "light_rays" items in tdm_textures_sfx01.pk4 ... But after playing with this, I have come to the conclusion that the dynamic particle effects in the light rays (of the training demo) are the real culprit (along with ATI's handling of them).

(No Honor Among Thieves is just CPU intensive in general.)

• 1 month later...
I experienced a slowdown by the lockpicking room in the Training Mission as I run it at full (16Q)-AA on my Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT. (I like the name of my card :) ) But now I reduced the AA to 4 and I have 60fps, so no slowdown anymore. As I remember I didn´t had slowdowns in the forest. (I did not play it since betatesting it though) And I have to say that the AA isn´t worse on 4 than on 16.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 1 year later...

hi, i was able to turn off the catalyst ai some mins ago:

i found something very useful with google and tried it myself:

1. In CCC set up your AA & AF settings, make sure that Catalyst AI is set to "High Quality", and make sure that the "Enable Surface Format Optimization" check box is unchecked before continuing. 2. Search for a file named 'Profiles.xml'. Mine was located here:

C:\Users\McPhisto2051\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles.xml

3. Right click on the file once the search is done and select "Edit".

4. Find 'CatalystAI' and change Enable to Disable

5. Now run the MOM.exe file. Mine was located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe

6. Restart your PC and you should be set.

Now you can use the latest drivers and CCC and disable Catalyst AI.

it really worked. but i wanna say i did not see MOM.exe working even if i clicked it about 3 times.

GL & HF.

Edited by McPhisto2051

Does anyone know how I can get EAX 4.0 to run on my PC? I recently bought a Creative X-Fi which definitely supports it and I can also select it in TDM-Setup menu. But when starting a mission, it always jumps back to menu screen while loading the mission. So is EAX mode not possible then or is there a fix?

Thanks for your help here.

Edited by Florian

• 10 months later...

You'll need to provide more information that that (and preferably start a new thread). What happens when you try to run a mission?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Sometimes the pk4 name differs from the mission name. Do you have an example mission?

Also, make sure the darkmod folder and all sub-folders aren't set to read only.

Hi, yes one of the fms is The Dragon Claw, the other is builders_influence.pk4 and follow.pk4

I cant remember which were the FM names for the last two. but I don't see anything in the titles in the DM that has either of those words.

I've refreshed the lists to no avail.

I should have mentioned that these fms are not from the ingame downloader

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

Dragon's Claw is not TDM 2.x (Standalone) compatible. You must install TDM v1.07 as a mod of Doom 3 to Play that one. It will be upgraded to be standalone compliant at some point.

And get Builder's Influence from the in-game downloader please.

• 1 year later...

I've noticed he seems to have trouble finding a place to stop and open the door while running. Don't know why.