The Dark Mod Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Good motivation for me to finally try to make a mission.
  3. I've finally managed to log in to The Dark Mod Wiki. I'm back in the saddle and before the holidays start in full, I'll be adding a few new FM articles and doing other updates. :) Written in Stone is already done.

1. Show previous comments  1 more
    2. Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

Now I know that, but only because I noticed a very small note in the main released missions overview. I'm going to fix that soon, don't worry. Once I'll be updating the latest FMs that form a series.

Also, you can tell me these things more politely. I like updating everything, but sometimes not all of the information is included clearly and properly.

3. datiswous

datiswous

Sorry about that. You are right, I spotted it myself to be slightly harsh, but didn't change it.. Thanks for the feedback on that and for your help on the wiki.

4. Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

Righto. :) I need to update a fair few things regarding the FM articles (including some of the older links) so I'll have plenty of work with this in the weeks ahead.

4. The standard info above the inventory grid is ALL, but it's with black letters, so hard to see on a dark background (and usually in TDM it's Dark). If you click on it and cycle through it becomes white: Maybe just make it White by default?
  5. Yesterday
  6. On an offtopic note: I always liked those, also in non-contest missions. Wished every FM author would add them to their mission release threads.
  7. Brilliant, OrbWeaver - that seems to have done the trick! I disabled the mouse wheel for weapon select and the issue appears to have stopped. Thanks for the tip!
  8. What kind of mouse do you have? Is it an MMO mouse with numbered buttons on the sides? Is it possible your mouse is occasionally generating either a number key or scroll-wheel event which the game interprets as a weapon selection command?
  9. First-time poster, so apologies if this question has already been asked and answered. Since installing last month, I've noticed a bug both in the trainer and in my first FM, The Painter's Wife. At random intervals every few minutes, the character will draw a random weapon or will swap weapons if already armed. Pretty minor as far as bugs go, but I'm waiting for the moment when drawing a weapon will make me just visible enough at an inconvenient time. Not sure of my install ver., but I downloaded in Feb. of 2024. Any ideas? Thanks!
  10. Aberconwy House, one of the best-preserved medieval houses in Wales, originating in the 14th century. Includes a house museum. If you happen to visit Wales, you can find it on 2 Castle Street in the town of Conwy. National Trust website for Aberconwy House Visit Wales website for Aberconwy House Geograph.co.uk entries for Aberconwy House Wikimedia Commons entries for Aberconwy House Conwy has several other preserved historical houses and buildings from earlier centuries. These include the later Tudor era Plas Mawr, which also has a house museum (and which I've already featured in this thread years earlier), and there's also the famous 'Smallest House in Great Britain' and plenty of preserved fortification monuments. Speaking of... The 'Smallest House in Great Britain', in Conwy, a tourist attraction that's more on the cheesy side due to its notoriety/record, but is still a nice example of a period house centuries old, that was built in the spirit of "How can our ingenuity provide us with a small house and lodgings even in a narrow, cramped part of the street ?" vernacular ingenuity. Official website for the Smallest House Visit Conwy website for the Smallest House Geograph.co.uk entries for the Smallest House Wikimedia Commons entries for the Smallest House Various narrow houses from around the world
  11. And my own from signature I'm sad that I can't get back to creativity And finally sit down and post everything I’ve done in the past to the end, there are several more interesting albums there
  12. Thanks funny to find this pages (i´ll gona put them to my Fav´s) but before i add some off my stuff i´ll need to listen to what you´ve posted ! P.s.: can you give me the titel/link to : @STiFU's progessive music thread.
  13. I've decided to make a list of my posts in this thread thus far. Only the posts where I shared images of real world locations for inspiration (mostly reference images of various historical architecture). 19th century octagon houses as inspiration for more fancy houses of industralists (12 May 2015) Old electric powerplant building in Poprad, Slovakia - red brick Gothic Revival stylistics (17 July 2015) - needs image fixin' Plas Mawr in Conwy, Wales - well-preserved medieval and early modern Welsh townhouse, with interior museum (29 July 2015) Castell Coch in Wales - reconstructed medieval castle, with minor 19th century industrial details (13 August 2015) + addendum Illustrations and concept art for Bree from various game projects (3 September 2015) Run-down Neo-classical manor house in a rural area (15 December 2015) - dated image links, I need to fix 'em Smaller but interesting manor houses and fortified manor houses in Slovakia (30 August 2016) Manor houses and fortified manor houses in Slovakia (13 March 2017) Stokesay Castle rural fortified manor house, one of the few of its kind in England (26 March 2024) Houses, inns and market halls of medieval and early modern England (26 March 2024) Aberconwy House in Conwy, Wales - well-preserved 14th century Welsh medieval merchant townhouse (27 March 2024)
  14. Signing up! I'll be starting from scratch for this one.
  15. I’ll throw my hat in the ring! It’d be delightful to create a mission to celebrate TDM’s anniversary, especially after how kindly I was received here. I’m excited to see what creative missions will be produced for the contest with the freedom we’ve been allotted.
  16. The Dark Mod 15th Anniversary Contest! To celebrate our 15th year, we are holding a fan mission contest! The Dark Mod project trundles onward for it’s 15th year in a row. In that time we have improved our game engine in countless ways and have grown to over 170 missions! To celebrate our perseverance and the years of improvements to come, we are hosting a contest to mark 15 years since the 1.0 release! Now is your time to demonstrate the mission design that best exemplifies your personal style and capabilities! Please consider entering this event! Unlike most recent contests, there is no defined theme and we are simply going to score based on our standard metrics of Story, Gameplay, and Visuals with our standard weighted scoring: Max Possible = Total Votes * 5 (Outstanding) TotalMaxPointsPoss (TMP) = AllCategoryVotecount(ACV) * 30 Full Weighted Score (FWS) = (Gameplay score*3 + Visual score*2 + Story score) / TMP Contest Submissions should be provided before October 16th so that players can start playing and celebrating on the 17th! The players have been keen to relay that they would like really creative missions so it may be worthwhile to examine our “Community Unusual Contest” to get an idea about the wild range of possibilities we offer to designers. Also, since the contest submission is in October, there will probably be an increased desire for Horror themes. The Dark Mod 2.12 was just released so including new 2.12 features is strongly encouraged. Finally, it might be nice if authors name their protagonist Corbin to match the included missions. ( None of the above suggestions are requirements for the submissions. ) Please post your intention to enter in this thread. Thank you! The Poll on this is to demonstrate the intended design used in the mission release threads.
  17. This was overall an enjoyable FM for me. Thanks for making it. Thoughts/spoilers: Also, there were 2 minor issues undoubtedly due to engine or asset shortcomings:
  18. Last week
  19. Yet another breaking change, I'm afraid: 6346 Sounds have a bunch of parameters: minDistance maxDistance volume shakes soundClass The base value for each parameter is set in sound shader. However, it can be overridden with a different value in spawnargs (e.g. "s_volume" "-10") or in C++ engine code with SetSoundVolume (used extensively for footsteps). Unfortunately, Doom 3 engine has a special case: setting some parameter to zero means it will not override the base value. So there is no way to override sound volume with 0, because setting zero would mean "use value from sound shader", while setting 0.1 or -0.1 would mean "use volume = 0.1 or -0.1". This behavior causes confusion. It is especially bad when volume is set programmatically, because e.g. volume of player footsteps is computed as a sum of many modifiers (run, crouch, creep, in water, etc.) and it is hard to be sure you don't get zero sum in the end. The idea is to fix this mess and add a "don't override" special value in the system. Speaking of spawnargs, it would work like this: "s_volume" "13.4" = override with value 13.4 "s_volume" "0" or "s_volume" "0.0" = override with zero "s_volume" "" (empty string) = don't override Right now there are tons of zero values set in these spawnargs. It is not clear where the author intended to override with zero, and where he wanted to drop inherited override and use base value. I guess for compatibility reasons I'll have to replace spawnargs "s_volume" "0" with "s_volume" "" in all missions.
  20. Looks like "Free for All" is the clear winner. Unless any potential participants object, I will close the poll this evening and prepare the contest rules and announcement.
  21. Ah, pity I wasn't reading the forums back in February. I'm fond of that game, along with Bugbear's other early title, Rally Trophy. I was never too good at FlatOut, but it was always a hoot to play.
  22. Salter's Hall, Sudbury, Suffolk, England - 15th century The George Inn, near Norton St Philip, Somerset, England - 14th-15th century, upper storeys repaired in 16th century after fire The George and Dragon public house (now a former inn), Codicote, Hertfordshire, England - dates back to the 14th and 15th century, not used as a pub anymore since the late 2000s, but has a restaurant instead The Salisbury Arms Hotel, Hertford, Hertfordshire - the oldest parts date back to the 15th century, the inn was called The Bell until 1800, there had been some minor additions in the 17th, 19th and 20th century The Bell / Ye Olde Bell and Steelyard inn, New Street, Woodbridge, Suffolk, England - an inn constructed during the second half of the 16th century, its street then known as New Street. The latter of the two names is the contemporary name, the former name the original one. Disregard the Volkswagen Polo, please, LOL. Woodbridge has several old rural inns dating back to the early modern era, e.g. The Angel, also from the second half of the 16th century. The Stag Inn, Rockeford, Devon, England - the oldest parts are apparently 12th/13th century, the overall look solidified in the 17th century Ellesmere House, Whitchurch, Shropshire, England - early 18th century house, showing the transition from traditional vernacular timber-based construction to brick-based construction (I feel this could be used as inspiration for depicting townhouses reflecting TDM's socio-cultural tradition from a more medieval era to a tentative early industrial era) St Mary's Cottage, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England - I just found this a cute timber-framed house, so feel free to use it as inspiration for smaller TDM townhouses or taller rural houses in a market town, village, or something or other "Bayleaf House", an early 16th century farmhouse, originally from Chiddingstone, Kent, now at the Weald and Downland Living Museum, an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex, south England Farmhouse built in 1609, originally in Midhurst, Sussex, now at the Weald and Downland Living Museum, an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex, south England Poplar Cottage, originally from Washington, Sussex, England, now at the Weald and Downland Living Museum, an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex, south England A small house, originally from Boarhunt, Hampshire, now at the Weald and Downland Living Museum, an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex, south England Medieval stone cottage with thatched roof, originally from Hangleton, Sussex, England, now at the Weald and Downland Living Museum, an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex, south England A medieval house, originally from Sole Street (Cobham), Kent, England, now at the Weald and Downland Living Museum, an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex, south England A medieval house, originally from North Cray, Kent, England, now at the Weald and Downland Living Museum, an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex, south England Rural market hall, originally from Titchfield, Hampshire, England, now at the Weald and Downland Living Museum, an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex, south England You can read more about the individual buildings at said open-air museum here. The Old Market Hall, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England - additional photos here and here
  23. Stokesay Castle, one of the best-preserved fortified manor houses in England and the British Isles in general. Rather than remain an original castle or castle ruin, or completely converted into a mansion, manor house, chateau, or romantic folly, this older rural castle was converted into a traditional fortified manor house in the early modern era and hadn't really changed its nature throughout the centuries. I feel this is a very good inspiration for TDM, given the style of architecture in TDM's fictional universe. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Stokesay_Castle https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Stokesay_Castle_(interior) https://www.geograph.org.uk/snippet/6359 https://www.geograph.org.uk/snippet/4859 Loads and loads of great photos behind these links, so don't think these are the only interesting ones I could share. There's a huge amount of interesting details in this fortified manor house.
  24. Thanks for playing! Glad you had fun, and I deffo learned a lot from building this mission.
  25. Wow, how did I miss this? Congratulations on the release!
  1. Load more activity
  • Recent Status Updates

• Petike the Taffer

I've finally managed to log in to The Dark Mod Wiki. I'm back in the saddle and before the holidays start in full, I'll be adding a few new FM articles and doing other updates. Written in Stone is already done.
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

TDM 15th Anniversary Contest is now active! Please declare your participation: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/22413-the-dark-mod-15th-anniversary-contest-entry-thread/

· 0 replies
    • JackFarmer

@TheUnbeholden
      You cannot receive PMs. Could you please be so kind and check your mailbox if it is full (or maybe you switched off the function)?
      · 1 reply
    • OrbWeaver

I like the new frob highlight but it would nice if it was less "flickery" while moving over objects (especially barred metal doors).
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

Please vote in the 15th Anniversary Contest Theme Poll

· 0 replies