The Dark Mod Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Some nobles are so gluttonous that they stick their whole hand in their mouth while shovelling food in there, and inadvertently suck the rings off their fingers.
  3. This was... great. I loved it. Tight, rich and well presented. Great voice work, great intro... But someone pooped out a ring, again. XD
  4. You can check if transform has no scaling (3x3 submatrix is orthogonal up to epsilon) and leave sound spawnargs "as is" in this case. I think that would make more sense than setting them on every movement.
  5. I'm at the beginning of a new area, where bandits fights each other. Near the end, I imagine, but I'm not going to bother finishing it. The thing is tedious. It's very obvious your focus was on telling a story. The issue is that's not my thing, and I also think this is not the right game for it. You're trying to make it do things it was never designed to, so it feels clunky. I think the game shines best in a smaller map with some backstory and little touches in the mission, like notes one character leaves for another. Here, it feels like I'm being pulled along from place to place, having to go back where enemies have artificially respawned, with locked doors everywhere, JUST to further the story, not to give me an interesting challenge. And in terms of story, it's the same thing we see all the time: Pagans are the poor, downtrodden, nice people, and the Builders, are the heartless monsters. Yawn. I don't get how the gargoyle switch works in that guy's office, even after having read your explanation. I don't even understand what the situation is supposed to be. The gargoyle looks like it's locked inside a glass case, and therefore you want to get that glass case open. The note says the gargoyle switch is behind the downstairs desk. Downstairs from this note, there is no desk. And the note calls it the "gargoyle switch", which implies it's a switch for the gargoyle, not that the gargoyle itself is a switch. It's confusing for no good reason. Random notes: Boring name, as others have mentioned. A cursive font in letters is annoying to read. Loud music and sound effects are not fun, it just hurts the player's ears. The map is a screenshot. That ruins immersion. The light issues have been covered. For me, it never felt like I was in shadows, as opposed to other missions. Almost everything looks pretty brightly lit. I saw someone mentioning rope arrows are pointless, and I agree. You asked how that player could have made it past something without using one; well, I haven't used it either. You can just mantle. Of course, that's not an issue in itself. There's not reason to cry "I'm getting review bombed" when people are just giving their opinion.
  6. A fine article i´ve found : for non germans : Heise is a serious IT Journal&webspace Die 10 besten Cloud-Speicher | heise Download https://www.heise.de/download/specials/Die-10-besten-Cloud-Speicher-3149052 and a link to the free account site of " pCloud Transfer " Große Dateien bis zu 5 GB kostenlos versenden (pcloud.com) https://transfer.pcloud.com/
  7. That's what we originally did, but mappers (or at least one mapper) complained in bug 6062 about the spawnargs disappearing if they were the same as the sound shader. I suppose we could have considered that "not a bug" and kept the original behaviour, but perhaps there are situations where the old behaviour was problematic — there would be no way to distinguish between "this speaker has default radii from the shader" and "this speaker has fixed radii which happen to be the same as the shader but must not change, even if the shader is edited". I don't know how common such a situation is in practice. Correct, but the freezeTransform method is called after the end of any transformation, and does not distinguish between what type of transformation was previously happening. I imagine resizing the speaker to the same size as the shader would also have triggered bug 6062, but speakers are resized less often than they are moved and hitting an exact size with the mouse would be rare, so the issue was only noticed when moving speakers. That's what I'm confused about. I have yet to see any situation in which DR will set a max distance of 0 on a sound shader, other than by explicitly editing the spawnarg to have a "0" value.
  8. Oh well, had a good run but I was finally able to reproduce on 2.13. I had to disable Subtitles. I guess they were helping to prevent the crash in some odd way.
  9. Yesterday
  10. I believe the engine sets mindistance = 1 and maxdistance = 10 if they are not set explicitly in the sound shader. At least that's what I see here: https://github.com/stgatilov/darkmod_src/blob/trunk/sound/snd_shader.cpp#L154 Anyway, if DR sets spawnargs to the same values as in sound shader, that's not a problem for the suggested change in the meaning of zero value. But setting maxdistance = 0 will be
  11. But sound spawnargs are merely overrides. You should not set them at all if you don't intend to override the values set in sound shader. Also, how does moving anything affect sound distances? Whenever you move sound, you should only change its position/orientation and nothing else, shouldn't you?
  12. If I update this map I'll see if I can figure out how to fix that bug. As for the loot, I do tend to hide treasure a bit more thoroughly than most mappers. People keep giving me grief for it. But if you've looted the decoy secret and uncovered Mr. Pidgeon's secret stashes (big clues if you read all the pages of the notes he's left around), as well as scoring all the pickpockets, you should be almost at the Easy loot goal already.
  13. @nbohr1more Unable to reproduce in 2.12 in The Transaction in these circumstances. No point in trying in 2.13. I experienced few bow crashes in 2.12 in other missions though, I just don't keep track of these events anymore.
  14. As of the latest 2.13 Dev Build (dev17026-10712): I am unable to reproduce the crash in The Transaction @Daft Mugi@datiswous@Frost_Salamander@snatcher@kingsal @Araneidaecan you repro in 2.13 dev ?
  15. allmost sounds like the haswell turbo core feature ?, my 6950x also has one core who runs at a higher speed than the rest (3.8 ghz) but otherwise it behaves temperature wise. if i link the cores temperatures rise somewhat but it does OC up to 4.5 ghz which is not to bad for the 6950x but then temps rise to 55" idle and damn near 80" when it has to do something .
  16. The shroud effect keeps coming back
  17. Last week
  18. jaxa

2016+ CPU/GPU News

This was a great purchase for me, covers all my needs, and brings me up to immunity to any massive chip shortage as a result of geopolitics. It appears to be running a core at 4.2 GHz basically forever even with low usage, but is quiet most of the time. Clearly faster than the i5-6600T despite the years of quad-core stagnation. The higher TDP and hyperthreading really helps. I doubt there's any noticeable improvement going from HD 530 to UHD 630 iGPU, but it does gain the better H.265/VP9 HW decode that came immediately after Skylake.
  19. heh yeah i wonder if trumph has stock in nvidia ? all those lawsuits... , not even so sure it will just blow over tbh, here in denmark we allready use AI heavily. one example of all things it now governs are taxes well in the worlds most tax heavy country who just loves tech i'd say thats a no brainer but c'mon... not really feeling the need for more upgrading for a good time either, my machines now run the latest stuff no problem and i recently aquired a motorized table for my aching back (well it really started to ache after i had to lift it to the first floor... damn that hing is heavy 65 kg) and me nearing 57 years with a back who was broken in two places which required operation with two artificial discusses and a lot of screws and with heavy nerve damage because it took them 10 years to dicover it was broken i can only say ouch.
  20. Yes this worked chakkman thank you. Much better. So far I'm enjoying the game in a very Hitman Absolution type of way. The sound effects and sound design overall is simply unpresentable to me. Lack of footstep, nice pick up loot and and satisfying lock pick sound cues makes it hard for me to give the game more than a 6 out of 10. With good sounds this game could have been a 8 or 9.
  21. Another failure by @kingsal. Firstly the mission is way too short. And like his other missions, the quality is supreme, keeps me playing and neglecting real life duties. Never feeling the frustration of getting stuck, never resolving to walkthrough material. Is it a sign of excellent design or rather a lack of challenge? Also extreme attention to detail, engaging maps from room to a room, gorgeous visually. I understand this is just a free-time effort for someone who could instead make money out of his skills but, I'm sure you could do better.
  22. Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.

1. Show previous comments  1 more
    2. datiswous

datiswous

What I would like to know is what the Fixup map function is for.

No mention of it in the guide. I tried to ask about it in the forum. Zero answers.

image.png.6244181b91465f60f9f7af55d21044df.png

3. nbohr1more

nbohr1more

As I recall, "fixup map" is supposed to look for very small brush geometry and merge or remove it (eliminate micro leaks and splinters)?

Edit: Nope.

It replaces obsolete defs with ones available in TDM base:

https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant/blob/fa4c266a6776516b59740f78f57b849097d97618/plugins/dm.editing/FixupMap.cpp#L76

4. JackFarmer

JackFarmer

No, and I too do not understand what it does.

23. Taffers, Time ago @Obsttorte and I worked on an AutoHotKey script that allows to control the player speed with the mouse wheel. In a further attempt to reduce the amount of critical keys this game demands I also created back then a script that allows the Left Alt Key to act as a lean modifier: Left Alt + W = Lean forward Left Alt + A = Lean left Left Alt + D = Lean right I never got around publishing the script because it isn't as good as it needs to be but I think we can debate regardless whether such a Lean Modifier Key would be welcomed in the core game or not. The most interesting aspect in my opinion is that we can claim back important keys such as Q and E and use them for other purposes. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Here below is the script in case anyone wants to give it a try (you must be familiar with AutoHotKey). The required key bindings for the script to work are: Move forward [W], Strafe Left [A], Strafe Right [D] Lean Forward [Numpad8], Lean Left [Numpad4], Lean Right [Numpad6] You can of course change the script to your liking.... #IfWinActive ahk_exe TheDarkModx64.exe ; run only when TDM is in focus <!w:: while (GetKeyState("LAlt", "P") && GetKeyState("w", "P")) { Send {Blind}{Numpad8 down} } Send {Numpad8 up} return <!a:: while (GetKeyState("LAlt", "P") && GetKeyState("a", "P")) { Send {Blind}{Numpad4 down} } Send {Numpad4 up} return <!d:: while (GetKeyState("LAlt", "P") && GetKeyState("d", "P")) { Send {Blind}{Numpad6 down} } Send {Numpad6 up} return Cheers!
  24. Another plausible scenario is where the player has a number of tasks/missions to complete but they can choose to do them in any order - giving the player a bit more agency, Tied with this, you might want to be able to re-enter a mission - e,g, it's some sort of hub (memories of the 'Pocket Plane' in Baldur's Gate 2 come to mind).
  25. This appears to be the function which calculates the texture values for Q3 export: https://gitlab.com/orbweaver/DarkRadiant/-/blob/master/radiantcore/map/format/Quake3Utils.h?ref_type=heads#L56 It's largely based on legacy GtkRadiant code and means absolutely nothing to me.
  26. What do I do with those settings, do I just paste it into the end of the darkmod.cfg or autoexec.ini?
  1. Load more activity
  • Recent Status Updates

• OrbWeaver

Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.
      · 4 replies
    • Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies
    • The Black Arrow

I wanna play Doom 3, but fhDoom has much better features than dhewm3, yet fhDoom is old, outdated and probably not supported. Damn!
      Makes me think that TDM engine for Doom 3 itself would actually be perfect.
      · 6 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

Maybe a bit of advice ? In the FM series I'm preparing, the two main characters have the given names Toby and Agnes (it's the protagonist and deuteragonist, respectively), I've been toying with the idea of giving them family names as well, since many of the FM series have named protagonists who have surnames. Toby's from a family who were usually farriers, though he eventually wound up working as a cobbler (this serves as a daylight "front" for his night time thieving). Would it make sense if the man's popularly accepted family name was Farrier ? It's an existing, though less common English surname, and it directly refers to the profession practiced by his relatives. Your suggestions ?
      · 9 replies
    • nbohr1more

Looks like the "Reverse April Fools" releases were too well hidden. Darkfate still hasn't acknowledge all the new releases. Did you play any of the new April Fools missions?
      · 5 replies