Holy sheeat...you sure? Yellow?

Love the painting though.

#3 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:55 AM

Hehe, yeah, I hear ya. Honestly, I don't care what color it is, really ;) This concept started as having red in the vial in the middle, but then the whole "it looks like blood" thing came to mind. Then for some reason I had this thought in my mind that the health potions were yellowish in T2, but can't remember for sure? (Not that I want to copy that, but it helped me be more okay with the color.)

In the following days I'll try to toss a few different colors out there for you all to look at. Red will certainly be one of the ones I do. Just a quick factoid: I think 'red' was used for speed potions in T2.

With the concepts, I think I'm more trying to communicate bottle shapes and also creating ideas for making the potions somewhat interesting to look at; moreso than the actual colors.

#4 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:58 AM

Yeah, the bottle is wicked.

#5 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:11 AM

Oops, I just remembered we might make the health potion be very expensive and that I created a different concept for that on paper... something that makes the bottle look more expensive. (My bad) :)

As such, just focus on the bottle shapes for ideas for whatever potions, vials or flasks you want.

Just because I label something bottles a "Health Potion" or a "Breath Potion" doesn't mean we need to use the bottle shape for that.

Sorry for the confusion. Feel free to use the bottles for anything, unless someone feels strongly that a particular bottle shape should be used for something very specific.

The health potion needs to look more expensive than this one. And I have some ideas for that. Stay tuned.

#6 Ishtvan

Ishtvan

Programmer

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14860 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:35 AM

IMO the bottle itself doesn't have to look expensive. The fluid itself is very expensive, but the thief would transfer it to whatever container was the most efficient for the purpose of carrying it around without clanking around and making noise etc. For that reason, I like that container a lot. I like how the glass looks to be pretty thick too, so it's pretty durable and not some flimsy fancy looking bottle. It looks useful and believable, as well as aesthetically pleasing to me.

#7 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:56 AM

Everything about it is non-standard and I love it so far :)

#8 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

Not happy with the liquid atm...needs a new texture and maybe a particle effect or something.

#9 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:43 AM

Awesome start so far, Fingernail. The particle effect for the liquid I was envisioning was just bubbles going up to the top, kind've as illustrated. But I'm definitely open to other options for particle efx.

I'm not sure the glass should have such heavy beveling efx to it. Although I can see how that helps the exterior glass look really thick, it plays some weird warping efx on the liquid. Maybe less beveling and slightly more texture of some sort throughout the glass? I dunno. But then again, it makes it less standard, as Dom notes.

#10 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, it'd look a lot better with simple transparency.

#11 god_is_my_goldfish

god_is_my_goldfish

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1259 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:59 AM

Right now it looks like someone sneezed a huge one into a bottle. :o
http://www.thirdfilms. com
A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QpCej-ZIQeg

#12 Ishtvan

Ishtvan

Programmer

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14860 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

Things do warp when you look at them thru really thick glass. I don't see the problem with Fing's screenshot in that respect, but then I'm no artist.

#13 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:30 AM

Make the particles sparkly I reckon... not just bubbles :)

#14 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:17 AM

Sparkly bubbles would be beautiful to look at. Little twinkles of light, like dust particles in the moonlight.

#15 Ishtvan

Ishtvan

Programmer

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14860 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:03 AM

I vote against sparkles! I want to be drinking some manly green goo that supercharges my cellular regeneration rate, not some fairy dust!

[Edit - I don't really care that much tho, if sparkles look good, I won't complain. I'll just imagine that it's due to phase separation or something, like when you put a bottle of Ouzo in a too-cold refridgerator ]

Edited by Ishtvan, 10 May 2005 - 03:08 AM.

#16 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:07 AM

Not overly twinkly girly fairy dust.

Just sparkles that are actually more like very small flecks of light, something irridecent, something that just says "yeah buddy, this is magical".

In a darker colour fluid, for contrast.

Kind of like when you look into a special marble, or some kinda fancy glass light thing you might see in a novelty shop. If I had time, I'd draw it.

#17 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

LOL, I was going to say in that last post: "LOL, did I just say *twinkly*??" ;)
Yes, I agree it should just be subtle. Nothing girly.

#18 Alexius

Alexius

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

the liquid should be ORANGE!!!

#19 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:00 PM

Oh yeah, I didn't even pay attention to how the color of the liquid changed there. Might have something to do with the glass being green, but surely there's a way to retain the liquid color (whatever we make it) somehow...?

#20 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:13 AM

Your drawing of orange liquid would have to look orange through the yellow glass because it is acutally another colour, made to look orange once you see it through that yellow glass.

You need to work out what colour will look orange through yellow glass to be able to do it in the game :)

#21 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

that's exactly it, any colour I put in the middle gets washed out by the yellow glass. So I'm guessing a pretty deep red might work best.

#22 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

Red will look orange through yellow glass. Nothing will look orange through green glass. :)
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#23 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:31 PM

Found a red version of the potion on my hard drive. Thought I'd post for giggles, and another reference. Looks like blooood. Fortunately, through the magic of textures and bubbles, if red is used I'm sure you could make it not look like blood if so desired.

Posted Image

#24 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:41 AM

Just messing around with modeling. No time to make a cork, so I just show u what I have...
Attached File  healthpotion_web.jpg   53.77KB   44 downloads

Sucks that I couldn't make a smoothly round bottle instead of this flat paneled salt shaker. Maybe I'll figure it out next time I try. Oh well, at least it's fun! I wish there was more time in a day *sigh*

I'm just practicing.

#25 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:21 AM

smoothing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users