Cherub-bot

35 replies to this topic

#1 god_is_my_goldfish

god_is_my_goldfish

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1259 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:14 AM

Alright, the image looks like crap, (it was intentionally done to look sketchy, but rather than making it look interesting it made it look bad :( ) but the concept is sound, the only parts i would think absolutely need changing are the feet and possibly the neck.

Posted Image

This bot serves as an outdoor guard, it would probably find more use in environments that are all stone or metal, as it's attack mechanism is a flamethrower that jets from it's mouth. This is not one of the uber-flame throwers used back in WWII, but rather a smaller 4-5 foot blast. As it is in it's patrol state it could walk around and let out a huff of flame every now and then.

Also, at least in my mind, it moves relatively fast, it's meant to be a small, fast, lightweight alternative to the larger cannon firing bots, who trade off their speed and size for a long distance projectile. (This bot might also be easier to disable as it is more lightweight)

(Also, not sure if this is possible in the d3 engine, but will we be able to support world objects burning when they contact flame? Or is that pretty much unnecessary as it would only be used rarely?)

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish, 02 June 2005 - 08:16 AM.

http://www.thirdfilms. com
A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QpCej-ZIQeg

#2 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:28 AM

Might be interesting if the neck was retracted until it hit alert stage. Or the neck only extends just as it's about to shoot a burst of flame.

I think it needs a couple extra joints in the legs in order to balance itself, though.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#3 god_is_my_goldfish

god_is_my_goldfish

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1259 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:06 AM

I think it needs a couple extra joints in the legs in order to balance itself, though.

Odd pointed out that the less joints the better, as more joints would weaken the legs ability to support weight overall. He's also the one who'll probably be animating all these joints :P

#4 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:11 AM

Maybe a straighter leg is the way to go then. At the moment, I can't see how it's going to be able to walk, unless the 'thigh' moves from 2 o'clock back to 10 o'clock with each step. Or it hops with both legs.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#5 Subjective Effect

Subjective Effect

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:42 PM

Give it wheels.
I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

#6 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:26 AM

How is it supposed to follow up stairs with wheels?
Gerhard

#7 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:50 AM

Make it fly!

No wait, tank tracks.

No wait, Posted Image

#8 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:03 AM

I like it, but I think you should give it four legs. Four spider-like legs. Or you could make it more like two legged fast runners like velociraptors or ostriches.
Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#9 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:08 AM

IMO it should be shaped like something more natural - a particular animal for instance for decoration - make it have four lion-like legs or something, or shape the body like an animal.

Either way, I'm sure it'll look cool.

#10 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:08 AM

Wouldn't they look like the spiders from D3?
Gerhard

#11 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:30 AM

There were no spiders in D3. THere were heads wth 6 legs coming out of them. I doubt any of our models will look like that.
Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#12 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

I know that they were just heads with legs attached, but they were moving like spiders and they looked similar to spiders and the fact that you immediately knew which AI I meant shows that they are similar enough to spiders to warrant to call them spiders. :)

Anyway. If our bot will have spider like legs then it will be pretty similar to the D3 (non) spiders. That reminds me. We will feature spiders as well, right? Who will do them? Are you also modelling them or only the characters?
Gerhard

#13 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:52 AM

Me probably. The spiders and bots could share the same rig and animations maybe, if the bots had more legs.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#14 Macsen

Macsen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:42 AM

Is there a point doing spiders? I can't think of any instance where they've actually added something to the game. Perhaps if we could make them climb about the walls...

#15 SneaksieDave

SneaksieDave

QA Lead

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10125 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:48 AM

Posted Image
EGADS. Bad joke, sorry. Shoot me now.

I like the four-legged suggestion, since it's a little guy. In fact, like the spider bots from T2.

Edit: Re: spiders - heck yeah they add something... they scare the pants off of a large portion of the players. >:) Need a wicked grin smilie.

Edited by SneaksieDave, 03 June 2005 - 10:50 AM.

#16 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:21 AM

Spiders: YES. :)

http://forums.thedar...=738&hl=spiders

#17 Macsen

Macsen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

Well if everyone wants spiders I can't argue. Or can I? :ph34r:

#18 Alexius

Alexius

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:39 AM

spiders are the essence of Thief!

#19 Renzatic

Renzatic

I <3 Kool-Aid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:21 AM

If we do anything that's so totally photorealistic and fucking creepy as all get out...it should be the spiders.

Like this bastard, but even more spidered out

We need to make the arachnophobics absolutely shit their pants.

Or this bastard too. I'm not normally scared of spiders, but this one gave me a little shiver when I saw it.

#20 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

"We need to make the arachnophobics absolutely shit their pants."

oh thanks for the care ;D

#21 god_is_my_goldfish

god_is_my_goldfish

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1259 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

For this bot i'll be sticking with the two-leg design, (redesigned to be more raptor-ish) it just makes more sense for it, but i'll do some of the heavier bots with four legs, and we can see how that works out.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish, 04 June 2005 - 09:10 PM.

#22 Renzatic

Renzatic

I <3 Kool-Aid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:56 PM

oh thanks for the care ;D

Hey, no problem. ;)

#23 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:21 AM

I'm doing my own bo designs as well, remember. We only need four altogether.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#24 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:07 AM

Also, not sure if this is possible in the d3 engine, but will we be able to support world objects burning when they contact flame? Or is that pretty much unnecessary as it would only be used rarely?

There is no reason why this isnt possible, but like you might be insinuating, it would come down to weither its worth the time.

I dare say we would have other ways thigns will catch fire, so this feature probably will be implemented. It was in T3.

#25 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:15 AM

in t3 objects cathced fire? i remember it in deux ex 1 but not in t3..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users