The Order

14 replies to this topic

#1 kfmccall

kfmccall

Concept Artist

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:54 PM

Here are some concepts of the Order. These guys are really fun to draw, the hat and cloak really sell the character. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 SneaksieDave

SneaksieDave

QA Lead

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10125 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:07 PM

Cool!

#3 Renzatic

Renzatic

I <3 Kool-Aid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:01 AM

That extra bit around the neck and shoulders is a little too much...take that off and I'll have absolutely no complaints.

They're just about perfect really. They have a proud and arrogant appearence about them, are dressed somewhat foreignly in comparison to the rest of the cast but still look like they're in sync with the times...excellent job.

#4 Corth

Corth

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:51 AM

Really Renz? I like the collar of his cloak, it's different.

Seriously though, try and stay away from cloaks... those are a pain to rig... :( Doom3 did NOT have cloth in mind when the engine was being built.
I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

#5 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:25 AM

ARe these the same guys as the Founders?
Springheel has already done the painting for these guys, which I prefer.
Kevin, you should look in this thread to see what's been done already.
I think we have concepts for all of the main characters already.
Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#6 kfmccall

kfmccall

Concept Artist

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:40 AM

Ah, you're right, indeed, springheel's painting looks like it would fit much better in the thief universe too. Oh well, I enjoy practicing drawing anyway.

#7 Renzatic

Renzatic

I <3 Kool-Aid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:41 AM

Thing is...I actually like KFM's concept better than the original.

Spring's might fit the universe and style a little better, but KFM's is closer to what I had in mind.

#8 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

I'm sure we can use this one as well, I suppose that SH concept could be the head honcho and the rest could look like above. I can make them look more similar.
Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#9 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13902 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

I'm sure we can use this one as well, I suppose that SH concept could be the head honcho and the rest could look like above.  I can make them look more similar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My own tastes are geared more towards SH's original concept. Those dudes are just so subtle. They creep me out.

#10 kfmccall

kfmccall

Concept Artist

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

I tried to incorporate some of Springheel's design into these two. Let me know if any of the other silhouettes stand out in particular and I can develop those as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:19 PM

My own thinking is that less-is-more when it comes to these guys. The belt pouches and weapons make them seem much more conventional and less mysterious to me. But these guys are for the campaign which is long off anyway.

But, damn, KFM, you are certainly prolific! Why not take on some of the characters that haven't been done already? :)
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#12 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:59 AM

I don't think there are any characters that haven't been done. No majjor ones that require a specific style. at least.
You could have a go at some boiler bots, robots. cameras and that sort of thing, Kevin, if ou want a challenge.
Agian take a look at all the bot art at thiefthecircle to get a good fel for the steampunk ideal.
THe more concepts to choose from tjhe better. There's alaway good bits and peices that can be taken from most concepts, even if the whole thing isn't suitable.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#13 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:43 AM

Most of the major character types are done, but there are still lots of secondary types. I posted a list elsewhere, but we still could use concepts for things like NPC thieves, shopkeepers, beggars, whores, shamans, etc.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#14 kfmccall

kfmccall

Concept Artist

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:15 PM

This one popped into my head this afternoon, I had this idea of these large leather (or cloth?) paldrons that emphasized the shoulders of these characters to make them more intimidating. They're connected by chains across the chest.

Posted Image

#15 Renzatic

Renzatic

I <3 Kool-Aid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:16 PM

I think your first one is still the best. Like Spring said, less is more with these guys...they don't need to look too puffed up and overadorned.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users