The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

If we're posting DR shots, I kind of got a kick out of how insane this pointfile is, the way it corkscrews around & crosses basically the entire map only to return right back to its origin & then find its way right out. Well I guess it found its way out a bit earlier, but it still took an insane path to get there and still came back around to pass near its origin.

insane_pointfile.jpg

• Like 4

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

William Steele! I am looking forward to playing another WS mission! :)

And from PD3, no screenshots anymore, but here is the loading screen (still subject to slight changes):

attachicon.gifPD_loading3_sml.jpg

I've heard it's as big as Behind Closed Doors which is a feat in itself! Looking forward to release :)

I've heard it's as big as Behind Closed Doors which is a feat in itself! Looking forward to release :)

In fact I think it might be a tad bigger due to Melan's propensity to exaggerate the verticality aspect of mission's he build :ph34r:. There are some places on the map were the player get get up over 60ft plus up, you really don't want to be falling from that height....

I don't think it is as big as BCD, and it is not as vertical as, say, PD2 or any of Skacky's recent missions. It is a comfortably large and not particularly difficult exploration-focused mission that goes for open-endedness and replayability. It did not start as particularly ambitious, but after a lot of false starts and hand-wringing, eventually grew into its present size and complexity.

Now that we've hit the entity limit, though, it is time to finish it up and commence testing.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

My philosophy is it's good for FMs to have variety. Some can be really open, spacious, and sparse and others confined and detailed, and it's good to have good examples of both styles and not all of one type or another. The important part is authors develop their own style so it's atmospheric and looks good for whichever direction they're going. There's a way to do spacious to look good and confined to look good. But aside from that, the most important thing is whatever you do make sure the performance is good & it's visportaled well.

And I've written about my philosophy for linear vs non-linear. I think a spider web or spoked wheel is a good model. There are linear-ish paths, but multiple linear paths you can take in different orders, either like a web where you're trying to get to the center, but there's multiple intersecting paths there, or like a hub and spokes model where you have to travel down the various spokes from the central hub and accomplish each of their sub-goals in whichever order. This can apply both in the physical arrangement of the map, but also as a metaphor for how your plot can develop too, so that the plot develops in non-ordered pieces that altogether add to the whole. And different parts can open up at various times.

• Like 3

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

So it happened when you updated DR? Try to open map in previous build. But there is no game related explanation for missing files, update don't remove files isn't it? And if you don't know which file follows other, add "Date Modified" in column headings and switch it.

S2wtMNl.gif

My strategy for saving in DR is put them in a folder and just number sequentially. (If you want it to be alphabetical with the latest on top, you'd start with 99z and work up, 99y, 99x... 70b, 70a, 69z...). Then I save every time I alter something significantly, with the thinking that if I make a mistake, I just revert, copy the relevant brushes, and paste in the newer map.

• Like 1

You have a grilfriend and spend your time mapping :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I am sure it is nothing to do with the game or the software, although I do not know why the scripts folder has "vanished". That is the most annoying thing. Remodel/remap is no problem compared to working in all the spawn-args and figuring out the defs and all that stuff again.

Well, my experience is: When you have worked through some def-files once, it is easier the second time. If you left it for a while, it takes some time, to get into it again, of course, but all in all, it won't take half as long as it did before. So at least you've got that going for you, which is nice. ;)

• Like 1

Totally the reason we always advise to do a small FM first. The first always has a lot of mistakes, and the second you really know what you're doing.

• Like 1

H

(there's a lot of swearing in the last 10 mins).
Ughhh.
Idk what happened with this - I updated DR, loaded up my maps and - well... I think that either I have over-saved the files, or I've zipped them or idk what.
There's no scripts folder anywhere in darkmod or darkradiant. It's very strange. Lots of stuff has vanished. Some stuff not drawn. Things moving around teh place. What is strange is that the state of the levels we looked at is "in-between" saves that I remember making... Like it's in the middle of a session and was a "stop-gap save". Makes me believe that it was user-error and I've messed up somewhere months ago.

Hate to say the obvious, but are all the filters off?

• Like 2

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Totally the reason we always advise to do a small FM first. The first always has a lot of mistakes, and the second you really know what you're doing.

Probably not the second, maybe the tenth ;)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm liking what I'm seeing. Is this perhaps a row of small workshops? Nice texturing, good lighting. I don't think the damage decal in the middle of the street looks realistic, though.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm liking what I'm seeing. Is this perhaps a row of small workshops? Nice texturing, good lighting. I don't think the damage decal in the middle of the street looks realistic, though.

I'm not sure about the purpose yet but inside they're a three level narrow building. I could either make them say a store on the first level (and add a sign out front) then make the second & third floor living quarters or just have a three story narrow home.

The decal is actually the trash decal but I might replace it with smaller paper rubbish ones scattered about instead.

"From what I've heard, Lord Wellend has an excellent steward in his employ. Steal him."

Then what you have heard is true! His warehouse is enterable and there might be some valuable loot to be found in there too ;-)

• Like 1