-The mapper's best friend.

#7277 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:35 AM

The texturing is kinda flat. E.g. the eggplant is purple, but lacks that stylistic touch which made Thief's plumsies (the healing fruits in the later Pagan levels) distinct.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#7278 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

The texturing is kinda flat. E.g. the eggplant is purple, but lacks that stylistic touch which made Thief's plumsies (the healing fruits in the later Pagan levels) distinct.

These foods were based off of a photo realism approach. Given the recent criticisms of my art being more fantasy related to games such as World of Warcraft, I've been deviating from stylizing heavily (especially on organic substances).

To be fair I winced a little on that, as I was going for a look off the T2 deer leg for my deer leg color scheme. Overall I've been trying to take a very realistic approach. For instance every food here was sampling color palettes from real food to remain consistent. But we're all accustomed to our artistic differences are we knot? :P  

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#7279 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:13 AM

I liked your more stylised models, so that may be the problem. :laugh: Realism is nice and fine, but a game does not necessarily benefit from full realism. I like food models like the blue cheese and the fish, because they somehow "fit" the visual world of TDM.

Another part is being concerned that bananas will start cropping up in TDM missions, and the tiny purist inside me is hopping up and down, screaming "THERE ARE NO BANANAS IN BRIDGEPORT!"

• Bikerdude, ERH+ and Epifire like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#7280 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

Another part is being concerned that bananas will start cropping up in TDM missions, and the tiny purist inside me is hopping up and down, screaming "THERE ARE NO BANANAS IN BRIDGEPORT!"

LOL, only on-board moor ships...

#7281 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:24 AM

I liked your more stylised models, so that may be the problem. :laugh: Realism is nice and fine, but a game does not necessarily benefit from full realism. I like food models like the blue cheese and the fish, because they somehow "fit" the visual world of TDM.

Hahaha, yes me and Goldwell discussed the bananas for a while. It's considerable that imports from outlying colonies would be available which is why they stayed. I mean I cut turkey, watermelon and a couple other things on the list but bananas were on heavy debate for a while. I'm kinda filling the role of making items when there's an immediate gap (like the food models) or just making exclusive gameplay related content because they'd be hella cool to see in game. We've still got more exclusives yet but we wanted a couple surprises for the release. That being said, this is our last teaser. So from here on out, I begrudgingly must make obscure posts about details I cannot convey with models I can't show you.

#7282 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2491 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

Oh man you're going to hate my next WIP "Lord Edgar Goes Bananas"

• Sotha, Epifire and Deadlove like this

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#7283 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37737 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

Our engine tends to oversaturate colours, so you might want to desaturate your textures to compensate. 

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#7284 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

Too late: check the models folder for Airship Ballet's 'The Smiling Cutpurse'. Epi is not the first to venture down this path to madness. :P

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#7285 Dunedain19

Dunedain19

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

POPULAR

No way out.

Spoiler

• AluminumHaste, Melan, SeriousToni and 7 others like this

#7286 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2491 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

No way out.

When there's a will.. there's a way!  :ph34r:

The Accountant

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions

#7287 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2207 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

What's that glowing stuff on the doors? Looking really interesting! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#7288 Dunedain19

Dunedain19

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

@SeriousToni

To answer specifically would be telling! In general, it's part of the security system. 

• SeriousToni likes this

#7289 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2491 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:14 AM

POPULAR

I just wanted to share with anyone who cares a quick update about what's coming from me and my next projects.

Early this year there will be an entirely brand new version of Accountant 1: A Noble Home being released. The new version will be completely rebuilt from the ground up and entirely built by myself, it will keep the essence of the original mission but will have brand new areas to explore on the city streets (like being able to break into neighboring homes and stores) as well as improvements to the old gameplay mechanics I used for the original release (fixing the safe, allowing you to shut down the city power by shooting an arrow into the generator room for example and so on). This redone version will be the true canon for the accountant series so the story will largely remain the same, this will purely be a reimaging from a level design and visual standpoint but using the mapping skills I have now. This will be coming out early this year, probably once the dust settles on 2.05 I will aim to release it then.

Progress on my 3 part campaign mission has been coming along great, I am polishing off areas one by one and they are turning out to be quite challenging to make but really fun to play. The campaign takes our unnamed protagonist along as they are hired to track down just what happened to Lord Edgar since you broke into his bathhouse and stole his ledger. It is set 5 years since then and i'm trying to create a variety of new areas & settings for the player to explore with and interact with and add in new gameplay mechanics that I hope are fun. Mission 3 of the campaign is set in a huge open city mission that is a first for me, but I am finding as the city is developed it starts to tell it's own stories. Normally I write out everything that happens in a mission but with this I am just building and letting the city itself tell it's own story. In addition to that I have enlisted the help of Epifire who has been making a lot of custom models that really help bring the mission to life as well, he has shown off some of them here but in total he has already provided over 100 custom models (with more on the way) that will help add to the immersion of the campaign and also help to make it a truly fun and unique experience. That campaign should be coming out mid to late this year.

And finally going back to the accountant series, after my other two projects are done I plan on going back to work on the accountant 3. This will be a train mission followed by a warehouse mission (both in a single map file). I have the story for the whole accountant series already written out and finished, but nothing has been mapped out yet as I have been busy with other projects. It is still a while off but I plan on releasing that mission sometime next year.

Edited by Goldwell, 29 January 2017 - 02:15 PM.

• Springheel, Bikerdude, Melan and 12 others like this

The Accountant

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions

#7290 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1476 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

Looking forward to it Goldwell. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#7291 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

POPULAR

Here's a recent cobblestone test using three vertex blended textures. I'm still trying to get a better method for making the twigs and debris less linear and a bit more natural with some bits laying on top. So far that's the best I can get with standard blends...

coercion_nightvision_2017-01-30_06.05.07

EDIT: With some color correction and a vastly superior second step blend, there's now a lot more variance in the three blend textures...

coercion_nightvision_2017-01-30_10.48.57

Edited by Epifire, 30 January 2017 - 11:51 AM.

• Bikerdude, AluminumHaste, Judith and 13 others like this

#7292 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Nice.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#7293 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

For real, I second that. Epifire is doing A LOT of help here expanding already existing library of brushes, and models. I am enjoying this particularly because I am a fan of the Cobblestone textures as well.
  • Melan, Epifire and Goldwell like this

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#7294 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

POPULAR

Most my stuff is sent to the original FM author who requested the assets (so it doesn't see community use till after the FM releases) but these were a standalone bunch I did for a test. I'll likely use them in later FMs, but I'd be willing to toss them up in the Mediafire dump I've got if you're interested in using them. Naturally they work best if set for vertex blending on a lwo, but they're definitely usable on brushes and patches alike. I'm not sure how normals and spec would layer in with the last example he posted but you might be able to blend them with Obsttorte's vertex program.

I apologize I don't have these in a zip but anything labeled cobblestone_blnd you wanna grab. Do note if you want them to blend correctly, the UV positions for any patches or materials have to match or you'll get hard seams.

https://www.mediafir...mda86u/textures  <DDS

https://www.mediafir...3cvy04/textures    <Spec&Local

https://www.mediafir...58xkz0w7rjkg90d  <ExampleMTR

Otherwise yeah, it's been a lot of fun working on stuff for TDM. I have a lot of free time right now so I'm hoping to dedicate a lot to the community asset base before I have to actually go and find a job again.  ;)

Edited by Epifire, 31 January 2017 - 09:45 PM.

• HMart, nbohr1more, Mr. Tibbs and 4 others like this

#7295 Johannes Burock

Johannes Burock

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

POPULAR

After my long absence from bridgeport, TDM and DR (and some nice salute after my first post, thanks for that) i want to give you a short summary what i have done the last and what im going to do the next days.

In former times i created a campaign over about 5 missions in close collaboration with SevenUpMan. I have some of the maps on a good status, some are only beginnings/ patchworks.

Also i have plenty of maps which are more or less a study or a test. Also some of them got much bigger than i originally wanted them to get.

Before i will dive back into my older campaign i want to create a prequel/ mission 0.5 which will bring the storystone to roll. In the course of that i will recycle some of my older studies/maps.

Here is a (by far not finished) sneaky view on the first "target". Please keep in mind that im a bit rusty after three (?) years of abstinence  :blush: 

Hope this time i have some more endurance to reach more result!  :ph34r:

Attached Thumbnails

• Deliverance.jpg

• Bikerdude, AluminumHaste, Judith and 15 others like this

#7296 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

Looks very impressive Johannes!

#7297 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9475 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Johannes is incapable of creating an ugly scene in TDM. He's like a duck to water. :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#7298 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

After my long absence from bridgeport, TDM and DR (and some nice salute after my first post, thanks for that) i want to give you a short summary what i have done the last and what im going to do the next days.

In former times i created a campaign over about 5 missions in close collaboration with SevenUpMan. I have some of the maps on a good status, some are only beginnings/ patchworks.

Also i have plenty of maps which are more or less a study or a test. Also some of them got much bigger than i originally wanted them to get.

Before i will dive back into my older campaign i want to create a prequel/ mission 0.5 which will bring the storystone to roll. In the course of that i will recycle some of my older studies/maps.

Here is a (by far not finished) sneaky view on the first "target". Please keep in mind that im a bit rusty after three (?) years of abstinence  :blush: 

Hope this time i have some more endurance to reach more result!  :ph34r:

Really interesting locale that presents a lot of vertical detail. Personal preference here, but it's very refreshing to see the darker sections without an over brightened ambient darkness. 

Edited by Epifire, 07 February 2017 - 09:32 PM.

#7299 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:33 AM

We3lcome back, Johannes! If that is your rusty form, can we really complain?  :laugh:

#7300 Johannes Burock

Johannes Burock

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Glad so many of you like the shot. Thats a motivating new beginning  B)  and not working for the trash can  :ph34r:

• HMart, Anderson and Gast like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users