7923 replies to this topic

#7376 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1646 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

POPULAR

I quite like the industrial feel to it, the abundant use of metal structural elements, coupled with bricks and stone textures, I think thats a great way to go. I particularly like the second image, with the galley there, I really like the scale of it, big, but not sparse... 

As for the water, this is the one you want (in fact, this should ALWAYS be used for any water, in any map, ever (Im not joking))

post-2001-131275823718.jpg

Its arcturu's water shader, you can find it here http://www.moddb.com...ated-grass-demo

Edited by RPGista, 23 May 2017 - 04:14 PM.

• Springheel, Bikerdude, PsymH and 8 others like this

#7377 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

POPULAR

Actually, I improved it by adding animated texture. Here's a download link. It's actually 2 shaders. One for reflection and one for refraction. When using real time reflections it's best to hide player's model.

• Melan, jaxa, nbohr1more and 7 others like this

It's only a model... /// My channel on YouTube

#7378 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37737 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:30 PM

Can that be added to the core assets somehow?  I agree with RPGista that it should be the default reflective water.

• RPGista, Goldwell and teh_saccade like this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#7379 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

Can that be added to the core assets somehow?  I agree with RPGista that it should be the default reflective water.

I beleive that was the plan and I dont see why not, I can look into this if you like?

@Arturus, the map from the above archive is missing some resources (texture for the terrain) and ambient world light, but all the files for the water are there. The only issue I can see with this the player_nodraw.skin, will this effect the players arms and weapons in-game?

skin player/nodraw
{
    model tdm_ai_thief_lesser
    model tdm_ai_thief_test

models/md5/chars/thief/thief                            textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/wrap                             textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/tunic                            textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/thief_head                       textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather_inside_shadowcasting     textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather                          textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather_inside                   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood_shadows                     textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood                             textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood_ns                          textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/elite_citywatch_cloth     textures/common/nodraw
tdm_npc_hand                                            textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/citywatch_leather     textures/common/nodraw
textures/common/shadow                                  textures/common/nodraw
models/weapons/shortbow/bracer                          textures/common/nodraw
head_eric01                                             textures/common/nodraw
tdm_wearable_hood                                       textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/thief_head                       textures/common/nodraw
}

#7380 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1476 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

That water is awesome, would love to be able to use it. Thanks :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#7381 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:49 AM

Actually, I improved it by adding animated texture. Here's a download link. It's actually 2 shaders. One for reflection and one for refraction. When using real time reflections it's best to hide player's model.

Oh? For some reason I thought it was already added to the core mod. Should definitely be the default in water usage. Though I'm wanting to create larger waves in my current project, (like the oceanic based demo you made) this is still a worthy addition for standing water.

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#7382 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

@Arturus, the map from the above archive is missing some resources (texture for the terrain) and ambient world light, but all the files for the water are there. The only issue I can see with this the player_nodraw.skin, will this effect the players arms and weapons in-game?

I added material for the ground. Here's the new link. I'm pretty sure there is a light? As for nodraw skin, I use it because player's reflection is ugly. It doesn't affect arms and weapons. There's one element of the player model still visible in the reflection, probably the hood. I'm sure there is an easier way to make the player reflection invisible?

Couple of things you have to consider when using real time reflections: they are buggy sometimes and they are computationally expensive. Also you need two surfaces with two different shaders: one for reflection and one for refraction right above the first. The second one uses a large set of tga textures which may also affect the performance. For the reflection, one can use cubemaps instead of real reflections but they don't look that good without parallax correction.

• Bikerdude, nbohr1more, Anderson and 1 other like this

It's only a model... /// My channel on YouTube

#7383 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

What's in the foreseeable to do list for the 2.06 update? Taking care of crashes, missing features or adding as much as possible and planned beforehand?

According to the bugtracker, lots of issues have nobody assigned to them since Steve went AWOL.

What will be delayed and what is planned to be done?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#7384 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

This may be beyond the scope of the engine, however - if i were to set a small stream running downhill into a lake (eg, mesh into brush), it is very difficult to create a realistic swash where the waters meet - that is, that the ripples continue.

For "placid" surfaces this is fine, but for dynamic surfaces (eg, where moving water must hit a bank or rock in its path), the current decals can be fiddly to disguise the fact that it is nothing more than gently moving water given the illusion of speed by the splash created.

(this is especially apparant underwater where the two mesh/brushes can be seen to intersect, especially if different colours...)

In most instances it is fine, but for, eg, a waterfall or storm-drain exit - there is no swash.

The water is does look very good and it would be great to see this as standard.

Edited by teh_saccade, 29 May 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#7385 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9475 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

To my knowledge, the way to do this is to make the place where the stream meets the lake into it's own mesh

then use Blender to simulate the water activity and bake all the animation meshes as normal maps. Then merge

the normal maps into one long texture and use scroll jumps to perform a film projector effect rendering each normal map as an animation frame.

Similar process outlined here:

http://forums.thedar...e-2#entry335140

• RPGista, Epifire and teh_saccade like this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#7386 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'm still in the stone-age when it comes to that stuff, nbohr1more... So I'll continue using rocks, debris and splash decals to disguise the seams :P

I understand - it is simply patching a bespoke animation over the seam and synching these togehter.

Thanks anyway - It may appear simple, but I am even more simple-minded - will leave stuff like that to people who know what they are doing, for now, until it keeps me awake at night.

It sounds like creating a new animation for every ebb, flow and eddy in running water rather than allow the physics to simulate (fluid mechanics is hard) such a thing...

Still - some nights it is impossible to sleep... so who knows...

Thanks for the link- I will bookmark it for later:)

Edited by teh_saccade, 29 May 2017 - 11:00 AM.

• nbohr1more likes this

#7387 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

POPULAR

Back on topic, here are some shots from the speed build -

bsb_2017-05-29_21.42.22.jpg bsb_2017-05-29_21.43.07.jpg

bsb_2017-05-29_21.43.28.jpg bsb_2017-05-29_21.43.52.jpg

• Springheel, Melan, PsymH and 10 others like this

#7388 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37737 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

Quite nice.  I made some stone models in the architecture/stones folder you can use to hide the tops of brush walls like the one in image #2.  Goes a long way towards hiding the boxy edges.

• Bikerdude likes this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#7389 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12878 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

What's in the foreseeable to do list for the 2.06 update? Taking care of crashes, missing features or adding as much as possible and planned beforehand?

According to the bugtracker, lots of issues have nobody assigned to them since Steve went AWOL.

What will be delayed and what is planned to be done?

We haven't discussed 2.06 at all.

• Anderson likes this

#7390 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

We haven't discussed 2.06 at all.

Pst, a modified func_cameraview with mouse look implementation would be mint!  :P

• teh_saccade likes this

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#7391 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

I made some stone models in the architecture/stones folder you can use to hide the tops of brush walls like the one in image #2.  Goes a long way towards hiding the boxy edges.

Grand, will have a look this evening.

#7392 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

POPULAR

The reflections are all blocky and such... darkmod_2017-05-31_16.29.44.jpg what have I done wrong???

Edited by Fingernail, 31 May 2017 - 10:31 AM.

• Bikerdude, Goldwell, Anderson and 2 others like this

#7393 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thats just how the reflection is I believe.

#7394 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

It depends on the resolution of the reflectionmap (if you are using one). You could create a custom version of the water shader with a higher res, but that will likely cause some performance problems. Or you apply an additional blur stage to it so it isn't that obvious. Texture scale might also be a way to influencce the appearence.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#7395 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

Ah, ok. Will play around a bit.

I edited the material to use heatHazeWithAlphaDepth  as opposed to just Heathaze, to get rid of the usual problems. Seems to work ok. Was there any reason not to use it?

#7396 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:40 AM

It is a new shader created by SteveL. We didn't had depth capturing before he implemented it, hence the other shader.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#7397 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

POPULAR

Having added some stalls and clutter, I think the scale is fine and pretty much what I was going for. I was just in Pisa and Florence and there were quite a few similar arched marketplaces, with the iron bar supports between the arches. I must have had that style in mind!

Attached Thumbnails

• market3.jpg

• Springheel, Bikerdude, Melan and 7 others like this

#7398 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37737 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Cool!

#7399 Spooks

Spooks

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

POPULAR

Slaved on this scene the whole day. I am figuring out the style I want to go for in my exterior, so this art test will be a good stepping stone to the actual map.

uRagNw5.png

vBGAKy7.png

klufEYO.png

knOT6vL.png

Edited by Spooks, 11 June 2017 - 07:12 PM.

• Springheel, Bikerdude, Melan and 16 others like this

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016)

| Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM! |

#7400 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

That looks fantastic congrats.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users