Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

POPULAR

Thank you!!

I made 2 more smaller variations of the chandelier for diversity. Also have been fixing/improving BHM, man I missed it so much. :) I put the new chandelier into the ball room.

That second shot is incredible! I remember seeing another angle of that same scene years back, it was this one:

AIf2HJ6.png

Which has always been my favorite visual scene in any tdm mission. It's so good to have you back and working on things again! :D

• Dram, AluminumHaste, grayman and 3 others like this

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#7727 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

Thank you!!

I made 2 more smaller variations of the chandelier for diversity. Also have been fixing/improving BHM, man I missed it so much. :) I put the new chandelier into the ball room.

Such a great shot with the large gear forms being a major part of the scene and layout. Reminds me of how some very large imagery was crafted into the levels and layout of Bioshock Infinite. If you fellas need an extra hand with enviro detailing, I'd love to hop on that with you guys. I try and commit larger scenes to texture atlas and can be pretty flexible for mesh optimizations (shadow/draws included). It looks like some real fun for the portfolio, so toss me a PM if you're interested Dram!

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#7728 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7460 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

POPULAR

That second shot is incredible! I remember seeing another angle of that same scene years back, it was this one:

Which has always been my favorite visual scene in any tdm mission. It's so good to have you back and working on things again! :D

Thank you so much Goldwell! It has been great watching the level of quality rise in TDM missions since release to now, largely due to what PCs can handle these days vs back then. Your missions are damn epic too mate :) Beautiful. It's great to see so much talent in a free project, really speaks volumes of the original Thief and the community that started around it. In my opinion by FAR the most dedicated :)

Such a great shot with the large gear forms being a major part of the scene and layout. Reminds me of how some very large imagery was crafted into the levels and layout of Bioshock Infinite.

Thank you Epifire! Funny memory for me regarding those gear shapes was that I was drawing them as they were installing our air conditioner unit above my head, so crap was falling onto the papers as I was drawing it hehe. That was back in Australia.

Incidentally I still have those crappy concepts...

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 001.jpg

• Bikerdude, Melan, RPGista and 6 others like this

#7729 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7460 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

If you fellas need an extra hand with enviro detailing, I'd love to hop on that with you guys. I try and commit larger scenes to texture atlas and can be pretty flexible for mesh optimizations (shadow/draws included). It looks like some real fun for the portfolio, so toss me a PM if you're interested Dram!

Thank you for the help offer! I would definitely say yes if BHM was less complete, but right now there is mainly scripting/objectives/pathing etc to complete, with a few areas to redo in terms of enviro. If you still want to work together however, would be epic fun for the next map!

• Bikerdude and Epifire like this

#7730 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1453 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:48 AM

POPULAR

Modular wall concept for the current location I'm working on:

obraz.png

• Bikerdude, PsymH, nbohr1more and 5 others like this

#7731 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7460 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

That is epic Judith, love the style :)

#7732 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1453 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

Thanks :) I must say I still have problems with scale, things almost always end up bigger than they should. I'm used to heights like 128, 192, 256, because it's easier to match tiling textures (and design tiling meshes for grids like 16 or 32), but with player being 80 units high, that looks way too big.

#7733 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7460 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Thanks :) I must say I still have problems with scale, things almost always end up bigger than they should. I'm used to heights like 128, 192, 256, because it's easier to match tiling textures (and design tiling meshes for grids like 16 or 32), but with player being 80 units high, that looks way too big.

I get that problem in Maya, though I usually keep the scale correct in meters and then simply scale the final result to 0.433. This gives the correct scale versus the player size :)

• Bikerdude likes this

#7734 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5662 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

Only at first glance. A 128 doom units high room appears relatively small once you start adding stuff to it. And it will appear even smaller if you want to add a hanging lamp without the player or the ai constantly hurting their head at it :D

• Judith likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#7735 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1453 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

POPULAR

Actually it 128 on those wall panels looked fine until I started adding AIs, now it looks huge:

obraz.png

Simplified proportions make it a lot easier to use texture space, and to design pieces so they snap easily on higher grids. Those babies work even on grid of 32, so making a set of corridors is usually pretty fast. I kinda wish I made them smaller, like 96 maybe. That would require more complex calculations for the number of panels though, and I'd probably would have to go down to the grid of 4. With big arch pieces, I prefer to stick to 16 or higher, as it's super easy to miss something on lower grid.

• Dram, Bikerdude, AluminumHaste and 7 others like this

#7736 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7460 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:39 PM

Epic shots there Judith. Looking forward to playing that ;)

• Judith likes this

#7737 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1453 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

Ehh, since this is more like a total conversion project, it will be quite some time before I finish all the assets. I'm sure we'll play your lovely Blackheart Manor first :)

• Dram likes this

#7738 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12651 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:04 PM

POPULAR

William Steele 1: In the North introduced us to some memorable characters: Lord Harckoff, Lieutenant Trumble, Father Grimmore ...

The setting was a renovated Builder church.

But what did that church look like back when Father Grimmore was alive and the Harckoff family was nowhere to be seen?

Braeden Church is an upcoming mission that portrays one very nasty night when a gang of murderers and thieves raid the church.

Entering beta test some time in the next couple of weeks, with release scheduled sometime in June.

If you haven't played In the North, now would be a good time to get started with the William Steele series. (Braeden Church is NOT a Steele mission.)

Screenshots coming soon...

• Springheel, Dram, Baal and 12 others like this

#7739 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

Loved the William Steele series. :) Looking forward to next in the series

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#7740 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1453 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

POPULAR

...And the roof is up. Sort of.

obraz.png

• Dram, HMart, Vesegrad and 2 others like this

#7741 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12651 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

POPULAR

Loved the William Steele series. :) Looking forward to next in the series

Thanks!

The next two installments should be available this year. Nearly done; just waiting for 2.06 to be released.

• Dram, HMart, Goldwell and 4 others like this

#7742 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:06 AM

POPULAR

One last showcase of screenshots from Shadows of Northdale Act 2, it's getting so close to being finished now. This mission has grown into a much larger project than originally anticipated, after the accountant 2 I vowed to never make a large mission again.. and here I am with a mission even larger than that! My original goal was to have this released in May however due to my free time becoming less and less nowadays, that more than likely will be pushed back to a June/July release window. It all depends on when I can get free time to work on this and limiting doing too much to avoid burnout, because currently I am really feeling burnt out on TDM.

But needless to say the wait should not be too long until you can all continue your journeys in Northdale. I'll be back to post the briefing video once the project enters beta as is tradition for me, until then here is the final screenshots i'll be posting from act 2 :)

Spoiler

• Dram, Bikerdude, PsymH and 11 others like this

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#7743 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

I cant wait Goldwell! Looks fantastic as always! I'm also really digging those open areas. Seem's like we'll finally get a chance to fully embrace the beauty in the north

Edited by Amadeus, 07 May 2018 - 08:29 AM.

#7744 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2419 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

I cant wait Goldwell! Looks fantastic as always! I'm also really digging those open areas. Seem's like we'll finally get a chance to fully embrace the beauty in the north

Grimwood really shows off the forest and mountainous parts of Northdale :)

• Amadeus likes this

The Accountant

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#7745 Amadeus

Amadeus

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

Yes!!!! That's precisely what I wanted to hear, can't wait!

• Goldwell likes this

#7746 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:37 PM

POPULAR

"When science, faith and allies have failed us; whom have we sought but now a Thief?"

UiUiIEq.jpg

More to show (hopefully soon!).

• Springheel, Dram, Bikerdude and 8 others like this

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#7747 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

So cool!

• Epifire likes this

#7748 Rooz

Rooz

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:12 AM

POPULAR

What excites me the most about TDM is that it's the perfect engine for me to create a game in a city that I've had in my D&D games for years called West Wall. Visually, I've always pictured it much like Bridgeport is portrayed in the FMs, and since it's my "City of Thieves" no set of game mechanics could be better.

My favorite part of playing D&D has always been the world building. West Wall has been a fairly small portion of the overall setting, but it has always been the one I've had the most fun with. I always DMed with a more relaxed and humorous handling of the game, and when a campaign has ventured into West Wall I'd really let loose my sardonic and ridiculous tendencies. Think Catch-22 meets Flying Circus with a decent dose of cultural references. Hopefully some people here might appreciate an approach like that as one option among the many great FMs.

Since I'm still getting used to DR most of what I'm working on is just that. When I'm not reading the wiki/watching tutorials and trying things out I'm thinking about the ways I can introduce the setting and story through gameplay. The screenshot here is from what I've done on the player's house and start location. I tried to get the best angle of it that shows off the kinds of mapping details I'm including to help tell the of story the character you'll play. I'm happy with how it's going so far, although I know I need to do more on that poster. (I just put that in as a diffuse map to make sure I had the right file locations and all. Also, that rectangular shadow as confuses me a little...)

You can see that there are a lot of readables in that room. I've kept the most important ones to single pages, and players actually only need to read the "To Do" note nailed to the front door frame to get their objectives. The books offer more on the setting and your history, but aren't essential to this mission. Anyone that does take the time to read them will see how more elements in the story tie together.

So, yeah, that's what I'm working on right now. I've gotten feedback on my plot and story development from friends but I can always use more and particularly from people who haven't known me for years. If anyone wants to hear things I'd be happy to spoil things via PM.

starting-room-1.jpg

• Bikerdude, Judith, PsymH and 6 others like this

#7749 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37338 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

Is the poster a decal or a brush? 

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#7750 Rooz

Rooz

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:45 AM

It's a decal. I don't recall coming across a "poster" type, but is that what I should be using? 

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users