The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

As I've finally acquired knowledge of how to construct rather attractive arches, thanks in large to Komag's great video tutorial on the subject- I thought I'd post an example from a small mission I'm working on. Can't say much about it, but it's going to be very cool indeed- if I can get it right that is.

post-3566-129287830213_thumb.jpg

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

Looks very promising - sinister shadows not giving too much away. If this has a rough target date and a working title perhaps it should go on our upcoming list on the wiki.

Thank you very much. The title is Nocturnal Rites Prologue. I wont know much about any release dates, before I get some technical details sorted. I just think I've a complelling story line that might appeal to some players. Ideally I'd want to include some custom works, but I don't know much on how to get them in there, yet. If someone experienced would like to help me in the shadows, please let me know.

If that is effective then they could be faded to darkness as night falls ... and the zombie move in. Or "You must complete your mission before the sun starts to rise."

[EDIT] That might not be a timed FM or even an objective but as the sky lightens in the east then faint sunlight could be added to the streets, the ambient raised a little, making it more difficult for the player.

Ideally I'd want to include some custom works, but I don't know much on how to get them in there, yet. If someone experienced would like to help me in the shadows, please let me know.

I could probably make some models for you, though I've got some projects running already (finishing up a globe, royal orb and creating a mask) so it will take some time but if you've got anything interesting that you need I could probably take a look after those. So what do you need?

I could probably make some models for you, though I've got some projects running already (finishing up a globe, royal orb and creating a mask) so it will take some time but if you've got anything interesting that you need I could probably take a look after those. So what do you need?

That is a very kind offer Nosslak, I thank thee. I've seen your work and it is very impressive. And there will come a time that I will be in dire need of some custom models. Right now tipping scales come to mind, and not one you would put on your desk, but something of a larger size that would fit in a great hall of a long forgotten temple. Sort of prehistoric, but neutral so it could blend into any lost civilization surrounding. I am assuming that custom models like this can communicate signals to the game, like in this case, which side the scales are tipping and such.

Right now, however, I was thinking more about how to get my own stuff into the game (music, sounds, textures) and getting them to function.

There is currently no weight or pressure detection in doom3 so it would have to be simulated by detecting something present. The modeller's part is just to make the static model in two or three parts with the origin of the part to be moved at its axis (if it needs to be a rotator); someone else would have to make a mover entity definition to make it move appropriately.

http://cloud.graphicleftovers.com/15354/97169/old-scales.jpg

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_134/11751121058j89IB.jpg

http://images.imagestate.com/Watermark/2325412.jpg

Simple, but a significant improvement over your last screenshot. I like the uneven patch for the ground. Watch for texture alignment issues on the door frame--wood grain should run the length of the beam.

started new map

this was built in ~1 hour

1dci.jpg

Feels a little strange for a newbie to give advice, but it can't hurt right? This is nice, but I notice the one texture on the ground. Maybe try and break it up a little. Also I probably wouldn't have used a texture like that on a sloping ground as the repeating pattern seems to be a little too perfectly laid for the uneven foundation it's laid upon, if you know what I mean. Also the streetlight looks a little out of place to me. But I would definitely like to sneak around that corner and find out what lies beyond.:)

Very promising and nicely lit. Recommend you add the property & value noShadows 1 to the lamp post. The big shadow below is exactly where the light ought to be brightest. This is because doom3 light comes from a pin point whereas in reality it would be spread over the lamp and scatter down. You can add a small patch below the lamp post and give it the round smudge decal. Then hit 'Fit' on Surface Inspector and adjust the size of the patch till you have a small round shadow so where the lamp post joins the ground is not so harsh.

There is currently no weight or pressure detection in doom3 so it would have to be simulated by detecting something present. The modeller's part is just to make the static model in two or three parts with the origin of the part to be moved at its axis (if it needs to be a rotator); someone else would have to make a mover entity definition to make it move appropriately.

http://cloud.graphic.../old-scales.jpg

http://thumbs.dreams...121058j89IB.jpg

http://images.images...ark/2325412.jpg

Back to the drawing board... I'll be writing a song about that soon, by the way.

I'm probably going to completely redo this stairs grime. This small section has all leading edges of stairs grime scrolled away and all convex posts, struts, etc are using an inverse form of the grime so they fade to the edges.

post-400-129266476915_thumb.jpg

I really love the worn look and the color pallete. Don't we have any higher rez textures than that? I feel like i could produce some from my own photo collection for textures, if you want me to look, I can.

Texture tests. I'm going for a chateau-style motif. I don't like how Doom 3 handles specular at all.

Yeah, the specularity is really not the best on that shot. Looks almost as if you have specularity on the whole texture, whereas it should only be on the gold.

What does you specularmap look like? I would suggest to perform a thresholding on the diffusemap to separate the white background from the gold and do some postprocessing (e.g. with a median) to get the segmentation right. Invert the image and simply color the gold parts, that are now white, a little more yellowish.

Specularity is also greatly dependent of the quality of the normalmap. Something with that much detauls is hard to get done right.

And one last comment, if your source image offers the resolution, I would suggest to go for a 1024x1024 texture. That texture is supposed to go on a wall I guess, so it should be fairly highres.

I'm just wondering if they would also work as decals on wood panelling. Are they decals?

They could be made into decals quite easily, without an extra texture or anything, just need to mask out the wall and use DXT1 explicit alpha, make the normal shader not use it and make a second one which uses an alphaTest diffuse (better than a traditional decal for something like this).

@Radiatoryang

If you need any help getting a better effect with those, let me know. But make sure you can describe/provide and example of what you want :) I could also do the aforementioned masking.

Such a simple scene but that really looks fantastic Fids, great work.

I'm not familiar with 'grime patches' though, though I can see them in that shot. Is there somewhere to explain how/what you're doing to get that effect?

Good idea. I've added a wiki article. Let me know if anything is not clear...

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Grime_Corners

shot00003nu.jpg

I couldn´t believe that there is someone with a darker gamma-setting than me, but after I lifted the veil of darkness I saw a very pretty sight; I say 'beautiful' very often to nice shots, but this really deserves it, sth that was never there before. Too bad we can´t get into the water, oh wait, that was T3. Then again, will you allow the player to swim/dive in there?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more