The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Melan, what's meh about it? I searched antique watering cans and that was the best design I saw imo. There are variations but nothing too different, it's a simple object.

----------

@RPGista,

to elaborate on what rich said. It's true that you need to turn edges to how you like. From Max I don't have to triangulate for exporting .ase, the edges will be exported as they stand. It's easier to leave in quads/ngons if I want to edit it later.

I believe from lightwave .lwo's need triangulated just to get them in game.

Still, that render looks like a cheap render solution and that model will look much better in Doom3. But I can basically see how that mesh is triangulated and without adding more cuts it probably won't get better in the renderer you are using.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

@Melan, what's meh about it? I searched antique watering cans and that was the best design I saw imo. There are variations but nothing too different, it's a simple object.

I would have thought its the copper texture which is too clean, we need a better dirtier and more specular version of that texture.

I think it's a fine watering can geometrically. I just think it needs rivets (via normal maps).

Even without the rivets, it probably looks much better in-game with some AA applied.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Baddcog: a riveted look, a dingier skin, or some basic ornamentation would help IMO. It looks weak this way. Not that every object needs to be highly detailed, but this could use a bit more.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Still, that render looks like a cheap render solution and that model will look much better in Doom3. But I can basically see how that mesh is triangulated and without adding more cuts it probably won't get better in the renderer you are using.

If you want a really good render that produces great result almost immediately I'd recommend Marmoset, it does cost some money though (50 dollars) I think it's worth it. I've started using Blender solely for modeling and unwrapping and then Marmoset for previewing the textures as it gives me better and (probably) more accurate results than Blender does as it renders everything in real-time.

Thanks a lot guys, for the tips and explanations. Its always like that, you do this on your free time, you kinda discover stuff as you go along, no time to master all the basics. :) I did let Hexagon triangulate as he pleased, should probably have cut up those npolygon faces a bit more to help him out, maybe thats part of the problem. The "render" however is just a shaded view from another program, that already show the messed up shading, rendering also showed problems, I was kind of afraid hexagon wasnt trustworthy (which would be a shame, as its very easy to use man). Anyway, I'll look into this, I intend on posting whatever models I come up with on the public forums so anyone can pick them up if they want.

PS: I dont think there are a lot of nice free renderers... Kerkythea is one of them, but I use it mostly for work, nothing fancy at all, probably isnt even close to 3ds max or modo or the one you mention. But its free and open, so might be worth to take a look.

Edited by RPGista

I'm sure Blender will render out nicely. Might not be as good as a dedicated renderer like Marmoset, but should give good results, and it's free.

I thought that looked like a shaded viewport since it had the grid :) . Honestly Max's shaded view isn't all that great either, it's like the shaded view in DR (see my pic above), it gives you a general idea but it's cheap so your work doesn't get bogged down just for the viewport.

If you want you can PM me the model (an .obj, .3ds or .fbx is best) and I'll take a look and see if I notice anything odd.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Is that the train Shadowhide was working on?

In any event, looks great, though WIP of course.

And props for the moving geometry. Doesn't look like he used the skybox trick (because of the front light shining on the terrain).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Interesting. :) It even runs properly!

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I saw a video of his many moons ago, the train is a LOT more detailed now, and I like that the object itself seems to have good proportions. Maybe he got a contributor? I like this one for the Indiana Jones feel to it, to go through or over narrow train cabins, but also a big one like the Blood train could be nice... Good work. He's got take it to the next level and make a mission out of it!

The author not Shadowhide. The author Chuzhoi (Constantine): http://forums.thedar...93-constantine/

Ah ok, I did wonder as it seemed like a bit of leap in his skill set. I just looked at the guys own website, very impressive

- http://hedonism.nm.r...chpad/index.htm

We would love to have someone with his skill set and those awesome textures working on the campaign!

shot1.jpg

shot4.jpg

Hi, I'm Chuzhoi. Sorry for confusion with the nicknames.

Half a year ago Shadowhide asked someone to make a model of a moving train for his mission, and I agreed to help. You can see the result now. Actually, it's still a draft, which is very far from completion.

Unfortunately, I have too little time for mapping and modelling at the moment, so it's done very slow.

I don't know if Shadowhide will make a mission from all this (and it seems he doesn't know). But I liked the idea and I intend to make a mission myself.

Thanks for your comments. Here are some answers for your questions:

Doesn't look like he used the skybox trick (because of the front light shining on the terrain).

The terrain consists of fragments, generated in a random order with the help of a script. Actually, the order is not 100% free - each fragment type can be followed by 2-3 other fragment types. For example, the fragment named 'terrain_left_ab' can be followed by fragments named 'terrain_left_ba', 'terrain_left_bb', and 'terrain_left_bc', selected randomly.

The trees are grouped in small groves consisting of 3-10 trees for increasing performance (each grove is a single model, not group of models). Doom3 in not the 1st engine in which I use this trick.

Nice train, the couplers are wrong, the way they are now they wouldn't hold anything.

Real couplers also don't seem to hold anything. However, one can suppose that there is some sort of a lock, located completely inside the coupler.

We would love to have someone with his skill set and those awesome textures working on the campaign!

As for me, I'm very pressed for time at the moment. Sorry.

PS. Another my work of the last year - http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=138298

• Like 2