The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I'll take a look at the tree, I can replace .ase's, so if the uv just needs fixed it's easy enough. Will shoot for 1.08 (so you can leave it and it should look better then).

@Melan, if you have any specific pics. I figured I'd try a few trim textures/support pieces/etc... but no real specifics.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

If you're using either simple or enhanced Ambient, then the texture won't show up if the material file doesn't have the material stages for the bark setup properly. It's a simple matter of adding them in to get it working. Anytime you see a black texture while using simple or enhanced ambient, you can prove whether or not it's a material file issue simply by going into the menu and switching your ambient rendering to 'normal'.

thanks for clearing that up, there's a few missions this happens in for me. Was starting to drive me bonkers since i just shelled out for a new graphics card.

I fixed the missions where it was happening for me by either replacing textures or updating material files. Check the threads for the missions where you've seen this, perhaps you will see my dropbox links for the fixed versions. :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Glad to hear that you're handling this optimization too Serpentine. I was practically certain that any lightgem fixes would be awaiting some contribution from stgatilov, JC Denton or even Sparhawk. Glad to see you are able to expedite the process :)

Those shots look great (as usual) Biker. I have a feeling this will be a pretty wild expansion.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hey that mirror is cool!, it would be insane if you were to sneak behind her and she would spot your reflection hehe. Anyway, some good job guys (we are definetly short on female items (they are literally all on the table, plus a potion), will try to come up with some simple objects after the contest and the olive press model).

Anyway, some good job guys (we are definetly short on female items (they are literally all on the table, plus a potion

it occurred to me that air potion looked a lot like an a perfume spray bottle :-) And regrading her expression, its was just dumb luck I got her looking at my reflrection at the same time as she was speaking, so it looks like she is say 'ahhhh' in shock and suprise heheheh. Also I choosen less gran wood textures to dial down the bling a bit, as its only a bedroom.

Btw who's wife/girlfriend did the second set of rogue/wench/noble vocals - I love her voice and some of the things she says as a noblewomen just cracked me up, seriously at one point she said "spiffing" LOL. She even hummed the chorus to green-sleeves at one point. :-D

I'm willing to take suggestion for female items to get made before 1.08.

I suppose we could have a comb. And I looked at old stuff the other day and I've got a spray type perfume bottle I made for TF2. We've got jewelry and like 3-4 jewelry boxes now. I dunno.

-----

@Biker,

Pretty high, but the shadow is half, or less.

small gate is about 1700. Big gate is about 2600. Then there is the hinge/lockplate things for the wall. Couple hundred or so.

The fence matches them and is in 1,2,and 4 segments. A short (for walls/waist high) and a tall version.

We're missing a couple things that are useful when an AI is visiting another: a closed bag or closed luggage, and an open bag/suitcase that you can set on a bed showing clothes inside.

I also notice that we have no clothes that can be hung in an armoire or cabinet. Where do all these servants keep their things?

Thanks.

yeah, I was thinking about some hanging clothes. Would be nice just to have the character meshes but i can remake them easy enough.

I'll look into some bags. I guess that's a whole new territory of items we don't have. Manpurses, etc..

------

@Biker. I don't think it's really necessary. They are fitting in with the staircase railings I did as far as polys. And it's not that high really for the size, there shouldn't be too many gates in one scene, etc.. The shadow is already half. They are set up too like the railings. With a bit of text editing I can make a low poly LOD with the shadow mesh, looks fine at a distance (I just can't guarantee there will be no z fighting up close-should be minimal if there is but...).

But I'm not going as far on these and making higher poly versions. It's a lot of work. Each file contains like 20 meshes and it gets hard to work with after awhile.

Using the alpha trick really doesn't help. I made these with a diamond shape cross section, not square so I can't use the alpha plane front/back trick. They look better lit like this anyway.

We have other fences that are just flat alpha planes that can be used if you're worried about performance areas.

For my part I would suggest:

Small, valueless trinkets (to add more variety without being necessarily loot)

wirejwls.jpg

Women's shoes (there are only men's, who have boots and (appearently one, could the other be mirrored?) shoes):

divittoeshoes.jpg

And as with men, the headgear should be made independent so you can place it as moveables (we have all the men's hats), maybe even a new one if not too time consuming.

tumblr_kxk2mhU3W11qb3e0uo1_400.jpg

And yes, folded clothes are in need, there's not much you can fill all those cupboards with. I suppose you can fold some patches, thicken and give them carpet textures, but they get old fast as there are only a few of them (and the whole thing looks rather rigid).

Edited by RPGista

The ladies could use a bit head variation too. We have several different male heads, but only a few lady heads. It would be nice to have older ladies as well. Those hats RPGista could help add more variety, though.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Its a silver tea tray, and yeah the reflection dosent seem to be right.

Yeah the reflection on that item has always been broken afaik. Unless he set that up specifically for that scene, the tea tray has always had a weird reflection map or cube map.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah the reflection on that item has always been broken afaik. Unless he set that up specifically for that scene, the tea tray has always had a weird reflection map or cube map.

to be honest it dosent need a real reflection, and also real reflective surfaces cause a big increase in draw calls. In the instance of this silver tray a fake reflect would be better and more appropriate.

Those hats RPGista could help add more variety, though.

If anyone wants to model some hats, I'll be happy to add them to various heads for variety. I find hats very hard to do.

I might try one, see how it goes... I finished the olive press by the way, thought I better call it finished before I add more and more details ;) (http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10651-submissions-of-any-kind-prefabs-fms-textures-models-and-any-other-help/page__view__findpost__p__281648)