The Dark Mod Forums

movement speed adjustments?

Sogi-Ya

i hate to start a new topic about this, as its kinda petty, but i couldn't find it anywhere. (yes i searched in more than one rephrasing.)

the movement speeds are immersion breaking for me and i want to change them.

creep is good, but i feel that walking should have a bit more glide to it and running feels like I'm trying to run in waist deep water with clown shoes on while banging a tambourine over my head. if its gonna produce that much noise while running i expect to be moving at more than a "brisk trot".

i know its not that big of a deal so I'm not whining for a patch just because because i don't like it, i just wanna know if there is a command line variable i could tweak to personal preference?

p.s. now that i think about it I'm kinda surprised that the fatigue bar from Doom3 isn't implemented for running, climbing, and lifting things.

(i.e. when you pick up a item the fatigue bar drops at a rate variable to the mass of the box, or if you spend too long hanging on a rope or a vine ladder you will get tired and fall off.)

but you guys are fucking pro! so you probably have your reasons for not implementing it.

Edited by Sogi-Ya

We actually put a lot of time into making the movement speeds match Thief. You can change them, but that has serious gameplay implications.

I feel very confortable with the controls in TDM! Most FPS feels like riding a bike instead of walking..

The only thing that bothers me a little is the footstep noise, all surfaces seems to produce the same noise (in terms of volume, I mean) and this lack of feedback from the sound makes me unsure of what floor is noisier.

It sounds like it's the head-bob settings and footstep volumes that are annoying you more than the walking speed. The head-bob settings can be adjusted to personal taste using various cvars (mostly the same as Doom 3, I believe; they're all under pm_, or possibly tdm_pm_ in some cases). If someone wants to tweak the footstep soundshaders to make the player-heard volumes more closely match the AI-heard volumes then I'm sure the team would at least consider including that in an update.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well, both of you, sort of. :P

I know what you mean. I haven't really paid much attention to it, but if what you're saying is true, then it sounds like the audible footstep volumes could use additional tweaking. Anyone can do that kind of tweaking, not just team members. (Look in the sound PK4s for the relevant soundshader files.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

the amount of sound per movement speed is a bit off but that doesn't bug me too much, its the sensation that I'm running in slow-mo when i hit the shift key.

i don't know, if it were up to me I'd jack up the run speed to full out sprint then have a script that sets off alert status of every NPC on the map every time someone hits the run key so that running isn't "I'm bored with this and want it to go faster" but "oh shit! I'm gonna die and have nothing to loose." ... but its not up to me and have a hard time even spelling the word "script".

don't take my bitching too seriously, my super power is to never be content with anything, this mod rocks and you guys should have been paid full time for how good it is!

While yes anyone can do the tweaking, I think it would be silly to suggest that people do this to 'fix' TDM. For mod authors you want to be giving them the most stable platform you can, and during the beta testing you want people to have near identical settings (with the exception of graphics/controls etc...). This keeps your bug finding focused on getting the core of the product perfect.

I did find the run speed to be a bit slow, and the audio feed back on your footsteps is a little off, I can't tell whether it matches what the AI would be hearing.

Well, I'm just suggesting that if this particularly bothers someone, they can try changing it themselves and submit the changes for consideration as "official" ones in the next TDM update. Obviously the team will continue to work on TDM so it might get done by a team member eventually, but if people submit patches for issues they particularly care about, then those issues will definitely get sorted out faster.

That applies to anything, actually. Of course there's absolutely no guarantee that any particular change would get in. Each case would be purely on its own merits, and it's probably a good idea to ask if the team might accept particular changes before investing lots of work in them, especially if they have a large impact. And the quality, necessity (for features) and setting-appropriateness bars for any non-minor changes are set pretty high, so people shouldn't feel bad if stuff is rejected.

Obviously platform and gameplay stability (for mod/FM authors' sakes) would be an important factor in that consideration. Changing the volumes of player-heard footstep sounds wouldn't have a significant impact provided they were still sufficiently audible, so it probably wouldn't be an issue in this case. (In any case, if we're going to make gameplay-changing tweaks, better make them sooner rather than later.)

I feel very confortable with the controls in TDM! Most FPS feels like riding a bike instead of walking..

The only thing that bothers me a little is the footstep noise, all surfaces seems to produce the same noise (in terms of volume, I mean) and this lack of feedback from the sound makes me unsure of what floor is noisier.

Diego's right... the sndshaders need to be tweaked in detail.

Jumpfall, for instance, is quieter sounding then running, but AI can hear it easier.

You guys may also recall that in T2 you'd get a speed bonus running diagonally, which isn't in TDM since it's sort of an unintended exploit, but I think the general speed was upped a little to compensate. I just mean to say that a lot of thought and testing went into things like the speeds and heights and jump heights & lengths.

Also, even if a suggested change isn't appropriate for an official update, an individual user could still do it for their own personal use ... Although like Spring said, it might have big gameplay implications and might change how an author designs his FM to be played, but that's a caveat with any changes like this.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.