The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Thieves (2009/11/25)

Springheel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

that mission was really fun, and actually one of the first I "ghosted", so i was a bit disapointed with a "stealth 0" score... not sure if it's just oversensitive or if it's caused by the kill.

it's a great tiny map otherwise, and not easy at all with all theses thiefs packed together and those torsh weilding npc.

many thanks

• 3 months later...

Yes, like so many said before myself: nice little mission. And will someone please explain the metal-chest-key-issue? Cause I´m missing 200 loot and I thought this key could be the 'key' for the missing loot. :)

It was fun sneaking around but as I got into the toilet I was shocked because nowhere to go, the guard came in and saw me so I had to kill him and lost half of my health. This was meant to be a trap for the player, right? Cause for me there wasn´t much time to get in and out again. (If you don´t know what´s inside-> nothing!)

Why didn´t anyone mentioned that the music was far too loud? (seems that almost every contest mission has that problem) But it was solvable by tipping the ambient slider in the menu, back to game, and than back to the position you want the slider. So it works how it was meant to be. (worked in other missions too, but not all of them)

And what about the metal-chest-key? Oh I already asked that. :rolleyes:

I liked the rats eating on the cheese. Will there be any cats in the future? (maybe chasing rats, that would be nice)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Why didn´t anyone mentioned that the music was far too loud? (seems that almost every contest mission has that problem) But it was solvable by tipping the ambient slider in the menu, back to game, and than back to the position you want the slider. So it works how it was meant to be. (worked in other missions too, but not all of them)

We had a bug with the ambient music and locations, but it should be fixed in TDM 1.01. Maybe a problem with this FM?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Annoyed with the floor texture in the hide-out that was missing it's ambient stage, I replaced that Doom 3 texture with a TDM texture. The result looks much more like a broken-down and dirty hide-out thanks to that rustic wood I chose...

After I made the fix I realised that this mission has a translated version so I'll have to fix that version if it hasn't already been addressed...

Anyway here is a download link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/thieves_nb.pk4

This is also an edited version of the v1.04 fix which removed the "Patrol" spawnargs from the rats.

I added those spawnargs back and the rats would not render in-game...

So I removed the spawnargs and everything is now as it should be.

Rats frollic and floor can be seen in Advanced Ambient mode.

Enjoy B)

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

That's pretty cool nbohr1more, I'll take a look.

I like this little mission, I thought the hide out worked well and I thought the intro scene, avoiding the guards on the streets, was a good map section to build some momentum. I just thought that the city streets themselves are quite bare and could maybe use a couple more encounters, the guards are easily avoided, and there's not even a hint of any other life in there, a sleeping person would be nice, maybe another house to get into, with people living in there, etc. Though the final room seemed a bit buggy to me (got a couple of crashes there, when acquiring loot if I remember correctly), I thought the hide out itself had a good atmosphere and was challenging due to its hall-free floorplan (from each room you would have to avoid AI from the two other neighbouring rooms) - but I believe there's a mapping mistake there. I havent opened it on DR or anything, but inside the hide out we have openings on the ceilings which seems to be barred. I think the point was to have moonlight coming through, but you can clearly see the light is coming from an invisible point, and the upper space around the openings are surrounded by stone boxes. Maybe they forgot to paint them with the sky texture?

Edited by RPGista

• 11 months later...

Nice little mission thats for sure.

+ Assassination heheheh

+ Nice mapping

+ A bit of extra loot to find

+ Medium length

+ liked the readables

- Fairly easy though, sneaking past the guard, then the second guard, then jumping onto the bed and shooting the 2 guys, the guy in the toilet comes and hes dead to :)

- the window, where I can look inside, but don´t fit through. That didn´t make sense and peed me off.

- the roofs that you slip right off of. I always try to get on the roof because I so rarely get a mission where you can....

- metal chest key doesn't work on the 2 metal chests I found

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 8 months later...

Annoyed with the floor texture in the hide-out that was missing it's ambient stage, I replaced that Doom 3 texture with a TDM texture. The result looks much more like a broken-down and dirty hide-out thanks to that rustic wood I chose...

After I made the fix I realised that this mission has a translated version so I'll have to fix that version if it hasn't already been addressed...

Anyway here is a download link:

http://dl.dropbox.co.../thieves_nb.pk4

This is also an edited version of the v1.04 fix which removed the "Patrol" spawnargs from the rats.

I added those spawnargs back and the rats would not render in-game...

So I removed the spawnargs and everything is now as it should be.

Rats frollic and floor can be seen in Advanced Ambient mode.

Enjoy B)

TDM download page lists the 2009 version.

And the integrated downloader?

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 2 months later...

http://img850.images...0/3593/uxdi.jpg

+Readables quality: good.

+Story: very good and interesting.

+Appearance: simple, but good and convincing.

+Expert challenge: good.

+Loot requirement on expert: good.

+2 possible entries (in my book, there should be always at least 2 ways of entering the main construction).

+Executing a target is a welcome change of pace.

+Nice introduction, but I prefer to advance the text by clicking in a button.

*Readables quantity: insufficient.

*Streets are too straightforward. It could have more houses to enter.

Bug report:

- Candlesticks sometimes pass through the floor.

-The window that gives access to the main building blocks my passage almost all times.

-"a metal chest key" doesn't work.

-My character is not hurt when he is standing on fire (although it seems that this is a TDM problem).

Still, one of the best tiny FM I played!

Thank you!

Edited by Jon Irenicus

-My character is not hurt when he is standing on fire (although it seems that this is a TDM problem).

Haha I guess this is a thing each player tries in any video game! :laugh:

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 8 months later...

Just played through again on hardest setting and difficulty set to hardcore/hardcore and no knockouts

It was a really difficult mission to complete as there were several places where I had to extinguish torches held by the guards etc.being careful that I did it from somewhere I couldn't be found when they searched

For such a relatively small and compact mission it was really fun to play

• 2 years later...

It says on the thief characters page in the wiki that this mission features Corbin but I'm not seeing any mention of him, so am I to assume you play as him?

Lovely and tight mission, though I notice it's fairly easy to see out of bounds if you know where to climb.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

• 1 year later...

I made an unofficial EFX reverb upgrade here:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/unofficial-thieves-efx

please let me know if it would be acceptable to add this to the official mission repo.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)