The Dark Mod Forums

A couple of suggestions for TDM/Dark Radiant

bambini

Obviously, i had read this thread and wasn't referring to it. You made claims that people on a 4 to 1 ratio had complained that arrows were to fast.

Wow. You're clearly worked up about this, though I have no idea why.

Three people (all of whom have been team-members for many years) have now told you that it has been a common complaint that the arrows are too fast. Two people in this very thread said they were too fast. And you're accusing us of "saying whatever it takes to get what we want"? Not only is that insulting, it's also making you look foolish.

Two seconds of searching found both this post on TTLG: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1920257&highlight=arrow+fast#post1920257

Secondly the arrows fly just too fast in my opinion.

and this one, where someone agrees with the above poster: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1920611&highlight=arrow+fast#post1920611

I agree also here. A very little bit slower will be perfect, IMHO.

If you really need to find all the other ones, you can do it yourself.

Its based on past behavior that has effected the mod and its not just you to be fair.

For the one year I've been contributor, I can recall seeing that twice. One of them was me (I just had bad attitude due to family problems). And I was immediately reprimanded. And I've never done it again. If the team dared to act this childish, they'd bicker weeks on end and not have gotten this far with the mod.

Now lets put our egos aside for one minute, stop hyperanalyzing one thread, and look at the Mona Lisa as a whole.

• Like 2

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

You want to examine this thread? Lets tally the numbers, myself and bambini are 2 for it being faster, there are 2 for it being slower, you state it is fine where it is and New Horizon describes it as a "concession". (FOR WHAT I ASK?)

Well, let me rephrase it then. It was an agreed upon setting after lots of testing. I'll look up the old posts if you truly believe I'm pulling stuff out of my ass just to be a major dick.

I do not enjoy being in the company of people who say whatever it takes to get what they want.

Thanks. For the record, you're not in the company of people who say whatever it takes to get what THEY want.

You're in the company of human beings. Some of the finest I've had the pleasure to work with. Caring, understanding, and thankfully forgiving folk. I know I have gone off the deep end in the recent past, most recently over the light gem adjustment setting. I can admit my mistakes, and I have taken that back. Not using this as an excuse, but I was in a bad place from a lot personal losses over the last 3 years. Up until a month or so ago, I just felt like I was on this roller coaster of up and down spiraling. This Mod was a part of my life 2 years before any of the bad stuff started happening, and is one of the few things left from a time when I was someone completely different.

I can admit when I am wrong. Making mistakes does not make me or anyone else here who has felt passionate about the Mod 'evil'. Flawed, yes, but nothing more.

You don't know the full story behind me or anyone else here, and I don't know yours, so keep your hypothesis and accusations to yourself from now on. If you have something to say to someone, say it to them over PM and be direct, instead of all this coy hinting and snide remarks. If you have accusations to lay on me, lay them to my face...or as much to my face as a PM can me, I'm not afraid of facing them.

I also don't need you or anyone else to air my dirty laundry on the public forums. I'm more than happy to search through the forums and expose every post where I've come across as a moron over the last few years for everyone to see.

In any case, your feelings about the speed of the arrows is respectfully noted.

I cannot vote for too fast or too slow (would need to play again to see how fast they are), but nevertheless I would want to add that f.i. in the training map, it is impossible to see the flight path and impact of the arrow on the longer target ranges.

So, for the idea of A: making the arrow "wobble", or slower, or bigger inflight, that could surely be tested and B: adding a small particle effect of "dust" whenever the arrow hits. it could be generally dust, and sparks on stone, and "straw bits" when hitting straw.

However, B: is clearly independend of A:. Just wanted to throw it out here, in case the people arguing actually start either doing things for in game (instead of just posting) or give clear instructions for me so I can do stuff in game (instead of just posting) :);)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I noticed that I hadn't really seen mentioned (I looked quite a bit) that I determined after replaying all the DM missions released thus far is the quickness of the jumping. I really enjoyed the "float" effect of jumping in thief 1 and 2 - if you don't understand what I mean go back to the older games and taking a running jump.. there is a very smooth arc to your jumps that make you feel much more agile than the "UGH PLUNK" feeling of jumping in TDS and TDM. I think the combination of a better arc to jumping and the incredible mantling mechanics already present in The Dark Mod would help get rid of that "this almost feels perfect but what is it missing?" feeling alot of us Dark Mod fans have at the current stage of it.

Apologies if this will be adjusted or addressed in the next version - but I think adding a bit more hang time in jumps (even if it is only a bit) will add alot more old school feel to the way The Dark Mod plays.

:)

About suggestions: I think the player is too silent when falling crouched. You can even run almost silently if you are crouched and continue jumping.

Yeah, I'd like to see this changed - at the moment you can just bunnyhop all over the place with crouch. I understand that maybe the last jump after a sprint could have a 'quieter' landing as it would often be prepared, but not silent.

Quieter landings when crouched is intentional. Being able to bunny hop when crouched certainly isn't. I'd probably suggest dealing with it by automatically landing standing up from a jump--jumping should never be particularly quiet.

About other suggestions:

- do not put the `tdmlauncher.log' log file in the current directory. I have them all around the filesystem: put them in .doom3/darkmod

- do not put the fan mission directories directly in ~/.doom3/fan_mission_name put them in ~/.doom3/darkmod/fan_mission_name. It is more tidy.

Pretty please? :)

About falling crouched I imagined it was intentional, but while playing it sounded really too silent and powerful. But it seems I am the only one feeling that way, so no problem.

- do not put the `tdmlauncher.log' log file in the current directory. I have them all around the filesystem: put them in .doom3/darkmod

- do not put the fan mission directories directly in ~/.doom3/fan_mission_name put them in ~/.doom3/darkmod/fan_mission_name. It is more tidy.

Pretty please? :)

You do know that there are good reasons for those things being the case, right?

I don't know enough about the first one to comment, but I know the second is necessary for FMs to work and be able to over-ride default TDM material. There are threads about it in the public forums if you want to read up on all the details.

We're all guilty of this from time to time, but people need to be aware that every time they make a simple request: "you should do this", they are asking someone else to do several hours (if not days) of work. And frankly, many of the people on the development team are suffering burnout after working on the mod for several years. You're dealing with some very tired people here.

Ehi, sorry. I did not mean to be annoying. As programmer myself I understand the hardship you are talking about. I also know I can just use 'find ~ -name tdmlauncher.log -delete' to get gid of the logs.

Yet usually the name of the log file is just a variable set somewhere, I was expecting it was easy to change. And about the second point I was also fairly sure it was undoable.

Anyhow, sorry. I did not mean to appear ungrateful or angry. Just... this is a thread about suggestions and I thought it was a suggestion. I am aware the 99% of request `you should do this' are simply ignored without any malevolence: it is only about time disposal.

The log file should be easy enough to fix. Tell you what, if you contribute a good quality patch against the TDM 1.0 source code (and compile it to test it works and everything), I promise to integrate it into SVN for the next release. :)

Remember it needs to work on Windows as well as Linux; in Windows it should probably go into the Doom3/darkmod folder (which will often fail on Vista and Win7, but who really cares :P).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I just checked: it is pretty easy. But it forces to change many small points:

- The Launcher class become an always available singleton;

- The main() changed accordingly;

- Finally the constructor of the logger uses the singleton to know where put the log.

and I have no way to verify if it works in Windows :( I guess I'll keep my log around :D

Moreover I was wondering... Why? What about simply using:

doom3 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game mission

If I had a request, it would be for right click menu to contain "wrap with visportal" on entities (specially movers!)

My doors are usually perfectly placed to seal, so all I need to do is visportal them, which would be a simple right click if that happened, but at the moment I have to clone it, change it to a func.static then wrap with monster clip, delete the clone and then make visportal on the monsterclip! (I will not hide that I am lazy :))

Might be a few other wraps that would be quite nifty to have, I cant think off hand.

I just checked: it is pretty easy. But it forces to change many small points:

- The Launcher class become an always available singleton;

- The main() changed accordingly;

- Finally the constructor of the logger uses the singleton to know where put the log.

and I have no way to verify if it works in Windows :( I guess I'll keep my log around :D

Moreover I was wondering... Why? What about simply using:

doom3 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game mission

I think because you cannot restart D3 from within D3 - f.i. when the FM changes, you need to restart it with different "fs_game mission" parameters. And how would D3 do this from itself? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax