The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude - Xmas FM

Bikerdude

It doesn't matter what face the texture is on. The engine treats it as a single plane, like a sheet of paper in place of the visportal texture.

Either of your examples should work just fine. ("a horse apiece" for you lovers of English idioms ;) )

ok, I think Ive finally got the hang of VPs (as much as I can at this point anyway)

the only reason i would want to lock a Vp is to block the sound from certain rooms. I have found that an unlocked(green) will still massivly improve FPS as long as its sealed properly.

So I have anoTHer question, lets say I have a transparent window, I have a Vp attached to it, but its always open(green), can i assume that as long as other building with their own VPS arent in line of sight of the VP Im looking through the object, bushes etc wont get rendered...? And is it possible to use a VP to block sound yet still let light pass through..?

Lastly Im testing my Fm on a low end pc and Im getting terrible FPS in some places, the problem I have its my map is quite open, what are my options..? can I use fog(how do I do fog...) to ease the issue..?

Edited by Bikerdude

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In short, any "area" will be rendered if at least one green visportal opens to it. Anything beyond a "red" visportal is not rendered.

For sound loss, I'm not certain. I only know of three spawnargs (I think only for doors) that muffle sound: "loss_closed" "loss_open" "loss_double_open". (I dunno, maybe those spawnargs would work on func_portals.)

I've never used foglights, either. You'd have to ask another mapper, but I don't think they affect performance. I suppose, in theory, you could have fog distance at 750 units, and then set up outdoor func_portals with "portal_dist = 750". There should be a tutorial on the wiki about foglights. Check The Beginner's Guide.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

In short, any "area" will be rendered if at least one green visportal opens to it. Anything beyond a "red" visportal is not rendered.

Well I put a few more VP's in and its improved it enough at its current level of complexity. On my nVidia 8400m based laptop @ 1024*768(rather than my HD5870 based desktop) I had been getting FPS as low as 9 in certain areas where large areas could be viewed by the player... Thats now improved to 13-15fps, so better but not good enough - Id like to get over 20 atleast...

BTW have you yet added AI? They will decrease performance further.

Oh deep joy, so my decision to split tyhe map using a high wall was warranted then... thankflly i wont be adding to many Ai..

Another question I though "player clip" was used to stop the player from acessing vertain parts of the map, but its not stopped me climbing on roofs..

You need to dmap.

Eh? i dont get your referring too.. (in reference to my question about 'player clip' texture...

And another question (...I know, what another), Doom/DR wont produce a point file anymore, says it cant find the ' .lin' file - but if I understand correctly the doom engine is supposed to created that file upon finding a leak. And it has been doing this faithfully for the last few weeks, what would cause this to change..?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10355-could-not-open-pointfile/page__hl__pointfile__fromsearch__1

Thats the usual one, you've installed a new FM and its dropping it into the FM folder and not that of your maps'

As for player clip, I generally just use 'clip', I havent found a reason not to use it and it provices a nice gentle "get out of here". When you clip to stop people climbing roofs, its easiest to clip above the edge so that the mantle code just doesnt give them the option and it doesnt dig into geometry where you might forget about it (Ask me about the 30 minutes I lost trying to figure out why I couldnt get into a room I had just made, damn you filters menu).

What I meant was, after applying player clip, it won't work until you dmap. player clip then blocks the player. If you can still climb up then you have applied it wrongly. Perhaps the player is climbing *over* the player clip? You have to apply it to totally block the player not just cover a surface to indicate the player should not climb on that surface.

I'm not certain but I think ordinary clip blocks moveables and projectiles like arrows as well as AI of course. Mostly it does not matter but player clip is normally the correct texture to exclusively block the player. It also makes clear in the editor what it is for.

I'm not certain but I think ordinary clip blocks moveables and projectiles like arrows as well as AI of course. Mostly it does not matter but player clip is normally the correct texture to exclusively block the player. It also makes clear in the editor what it is for.

I think you're right with arrows etc, tho I have not tested. I did however test the area that bikerdude is talking about, I split the brush in half, one side with playerclip I can mantle into/onto without issue(if you mantle into it, it will reject you, but it takes a while and often you can jump further), with normal clip it doesnt make the attempt to mantle... I will investigate a bit more later.

You have to apply it to totally block the player not just cover a surface to indicate the player should not climb on that surface.

I though I had been doing that, Ill read the wiki and hopefully ill find some examples..

Thats the usual one, you've installed a new FM and its dropping it into the FM folder and not that of your maps'

Im still working in map mode, I havent even learned how to turn it into an Fm yet. But I read about the ' +set fs_game darkmod ' on the doom3 exe as apposed to the TDM lanucher which I have been using all this time..

Edited by Bikerdude

If you are testing your FM from a shortcut with +set fs_game darkmod then the .lin file should be generated in darkmod\maps or within a subfolder of that wherever your map is, eg, darkmod\maps\mymap. Have a look to see if it is there.

To access it in Dark Radiant you also need Dark Radiant to be looking in the same folder so the game folder in preferences should also be looking there.

If both of the above are true then also when you get the leak error, look in the console and scroll up a few lines and it will name the entity that it is leaking to. Find that in the Entity List in DR. You may find it has an origin in the void or it might not be visible at all in which case, unless you know it is something important, delete it. It was probably a brush/patch you made into an entity then perhaps use Tab to scroll to the brush to resize it then later deleted it so you are left with an entity without anything, model or brush.

If both of the above are true then also when you get the leak error, look in the console and scroll up a few lines and it will name the entity that it is leaking to.

Ah but... I couldnt find the leak so Doom starting point to any entity it could find - most annoying! Im just gonna ber 'very' careful when creating new brush etc..

I have another question regarding "drunk_acuity_factor". I have had a look in the wiki but cant find much about it, also getting an Ai to actually sleep or lay down seems beyond me atm..

ps. love the head swapping, I spent a hour swapping heads and laughing my arse off..

Ah but... I couldnt find the leak so Doom starting point to any entity it could find - most annoying! Im just gonna ber 'very' careful when creating new brush etc..

I have another question regarding "drunk_acuity_factor". I have had a look in the wiki but cant find much about it, also getting an Ai to actually sleep or lay down seems beyond me atm..

ps. love the head swapping, I spent a hour swapping heads and laughing my arse off..

You can swap in another one using def_arse ;)

'drunk' is new to me so I can't advise you there. I have no idea if it even works.

You can either add sitting 1 or sleeping 1 to an AI then position them so they are ready to get down. With sitting I recommend you use a moveable chair and give it frobable 0 and NotPushable 1. *Alternatively* you can set up path_sit and path_sleep and get the AI to patrol to the place.

So ... you are proceeding with the leak as it is? Should be interesting.

You can swap in another one using def_arse, 'drunk' is new to me so I can't advise you there. I have no idea if it even works.

You can either add sitting 1 or sleeping 1 to an AI then position them so they are ready to get down. With sitting I recommend you use a moveable chair and give it frobable 0 and NotPushable 1. *Alternatively* you can set up path_sit and path_sleep and get the AI to patrol to the place.

So ... you are proceeding with the leak as it is? Should be interesting.

LOL - 'def_arse' is that even an arg like... and yeah every Ai has that drunk arg in thier list. By default its 0.5 but I would like to know what very drunk is (eg where a guard is too drunk to chase very far etc)

No I fixed the link by going back to a much earlier save and redoing all the work over.... aaarrgghh..<_<

Thanks for the heads up the on the chair, I completely missed that one..

Edited by Bikerdude

'drunk' is new to me so I can't advise you there. I have no idea if it even works.

Angua did enable drunk AI behaviour, so they play the drunk animations, but I haven't actually tested it so I don't know to what extent it is working.

Ok

Got a weird issue and I dont now how it got turned on/off.

Before this evening I could creat a light source and pull its radius in/out with out moving the light source. now for some reason one side of the radii stays fixes and the light source itself moves... wtf..

And while Im at Ive meaning to ask if it possible to do the following with a light source: - while keep the origin of the LS fixed to move the sides of the radii indipenantly (this would be really hand for sources that have no shadow etc)

thanks

Edited by Bikerdude

Well, omni light radii have to be symmetric. That's why it's a radius, and not an oblong ellipse. You can still go into resize mode, and touch up a light_radius in the orthoview.

For your mushrooms, I'd give them a dark ('value' < 40), very saturated ('saturation' > 35) colour. Then give it a light texture that's less harsh-looking, like ambient_biground (rounder, with more falloff) or round_sin (for a gentle "pulsing" effect). Don't give your light too small of a radius, or you'll get that "spotlight" effect.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair