The Dark Mod Forums

How about better 'date' format?! yyyy/mm/dd

ToadTadWater

Let's help each other here, (and for users in the future of this and any other forum) by using the full digit year (2010). It is VERY hard to know what

10/10/09 is referring to, but easier than 08/09/10 or 10/20/09 or many others! :)

How about mm/dd/2010 at least or (my preference) yyyy-mm-dd?

But when ppl scramble the dd & mm with only '10' as the yr its really tough.

Files sort MUCH better if you use yyyy-mm-dd BTW, at least for windows files!! And also it would be nice to have a better US normal use standard than our troublesome mm/dd/yr anyhow!

Just a suggestion!

Thanks for the FM's regardless of the date :D

"normal" is just a question of the viewing direction. :) I agree that the full digit year should be used, but to avoid any confusion with different standards, the best thing to do would be to use the abbreviation of the month instead of a digit. This way everyone will directly get which date is meant, no matter where he comes from. But basically I don't care at all when a FM has been released, as long as I have played it... :D

I ALWAYS use YYYY-MM-DD, it makes the most sense for natural sorting purposes. The absolute worst system is the dumb American habit of MM-DD-YY, so that today is 10-06-10, wth??? Talking is one thing, but when it's written down as part of vital information, it should be with a reasonable classification system, which is Year - Month - Day, all numerical.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

There is no doubt that yyyy-mm-dd is the best way to label dates.

No doubt.

Exactly. It sorts as strings like numbers (so 2010-01-01 comes after 2009-01-01 naturally) and ISO agrees :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The absolute worst system is the dumb American habit of MM-DD...

Well, any other method is no good really. The Uk method is just as 'bad' or 'dumb'.

But the good thing is we agree (and apparently many others as well) which is refreshing as there is usually ALWAYS (?usually always?) some one to come along and argue.

But Lo! And Behold!

And this is the sweetest key..........

There IS objective truth!

Don't let them tell you otherwise. :laugh:

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there,

To make your life a little bit easier I have changed the wiki page for missions to have sort by date/name/series etc. I can make something to convert dates to whatever your wiki user account has set as its date option if its still not enough...

(I also added icons for the links, but they're rather ugly - feel free to replace them with better :))

• Like 1

"The"s and "A"s... Yep.

Also Every Word In The Title Should Be Capitalized. No Random non-capitalizations such as those based on "it's a prep" or "it's an article" or "it seems like one of those words that I sometimes wonder why they Never Capitalized {because the practice was stupid to Begin With}) so I'm Not Going to Capitalize it"

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

besides that its easy

That's exactly why. Easy is best. That's the purpose behind systematizing things, eh? Easy to be consistent with. Easy to remain consistent with. And no room for confusion as I'm afraid most people have no idea what a preposition is (or an article)... and why are they not capitalized anyway? The system of not capitalizing certain elements of language is entirely illogical and only makes for a mess...

But, hey, the date thing has been a real problem for all too long -- and people are coming around on that is fantastic. And the "the" and "a" thing you've addressed as well... So I'll not bother anymore on this lesser issue of the Capitalization of Certain Words but sometimes Not Other where, Say, Prepositons and conjunctions Are Concerned in relation To Titles.

:mellow:

i am a filthy american and i agree that "International Standard ISO 8601" should be implemented throughout the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

we have been trying to promote it here http://shack.brizbomb.com/ for almost 4 years now and have always made our fliers with "International Standard ISO 8601" but people just want to do what they are taught in school i guess and none of our friends have started using it themselves.

try to teach by example and nobody follows :wacko: