My FM for the Grand Christmas FM Contest, Return to the City,
has been completed and available at
TTLG (updated Hammers-into-Builders version)
www.darklurker.com (updated Hammers-into-Builders version)
www.uploading.com (Hammers-into-Builders update)
www.mediafire.com (Hammers-into-Builders update)
www.mediafire.com (second link - thanks, Vexd) (Hammers-into-Builders update)
www.sharebee.com (thanks, Chiron!) (Hammers-into-Builders update)
Have fun, and please read the release notes, below! (Especially point 1)
Description: Back among these old walls again, it seems. The
alleyways and courts beckon, the smells and flickering lights
the same as ever. Have I been away so little that I remember
No matter. This time, my objective once more brings me to the
Builders: one of their workshops has recently received a shipment
of potent explosives... Although inert before it is treated with
a volatile compound, there is bound to be a mechanician who
will pay a good price for the lot.
That settles my agenda for the night. I must be careful, since
the Builders aren't known to be lenient with trespassers... and
if they knew it was the same fellow who had already paid them a
visit once... but better not dwell on trivialities. I have found
a way to the street where the storehouse is located, and hid
myself next to the gate. If I am unable to open it from inside
when I am done, I may just have to find another way out.
It is an hour before midnight. Time to go.
1) Since the mission features wide, relatively open spaces, it has
higher hardware requirements than regular TDM FMs. Performance
may be very poor on older PCs, and occasionally, a freeze of up
to half a minute or so may be experienced. I apologise for the
possible inconvenience. The hardware requirements should not
be taken as representative of all Dark Mod missions!
2) Take note that guards in The Dark Mod are much more alert, seeing
and hearing over greater distances. An altercation can draw
lots of unwanted attention!
3) Ghosting is supported in this mission. Achieving a perfect thief
result (acquiring all loot while ghosting), however, may be
4) You can climb out of the level with some effort. Good job, but now I
am afraid you cannot get back in. Or... can you?
5) Finally, please take care that there is a general TDM bug that may
affect your enjoyment of the mission until it is fixed: when you start
out, it is still possible to change the difficulty settings until you do a
manual save. Don't do this, because it will wipe out your completed
objectives, rendering the mission unwinnable!
Last but definitely not least, thanks are due to my beta testers, who
have been very helpful in finding and fixing the bugs that have cropped
up, as well as everyone on the TDM forums for their help and support.
Series information: All of my missions except Unbidden Guest (TMA) take place in a common setting and involve the same protagonist, although under different aliases - Talbot, Messer Johannes, Philby and others. None of them require previous knowledge of previous FMs, but there are common elements and a degree of continuity. The missions, in current order, are:
- Prowler of the Dark (TDP/Gold) (S): liberate a skull of paganic enchantment from an abandoned church, which is kept sealed and guarded by the Builders.
- Return to the City (The Dark Mod) (M): plunder the other side of the Builder complex to steal a pack of explosives. Patrols have been heightened because of the recent break-in. (This mission connects to the previous along the North/South axis - too bad I didn't have the time to let you revisit some old areas) (You are here!)
- Fiasco at Fauchard Street (The Dark Mod) (M): steal a collection of opals from the house of a wealthy usurer.
- Bad Debts (TMA) (XL): fallen on hard times, you take a job from a diminutive snitch to steal his letter of debt from Markus, a pawnshop owner/usurer (looks like a common theme). Rooftop extravaganza.
- Disorientation (TMA) (XL): following the events in the previous mission, you attract the unwanted attentions of Lady Azamlarg, district warden and judge, and have to break into her palace to deter her from further assassination attempts. More rooftops and conspiracies.
Edited by Melan, 02 May 2011 - 04:54 AM.