The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Return to the City by Melan (2010/01/10)

Melan

69 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect. Outstanding
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

most players should get more than 10, anyway on the subject of updates, Melan has been inspired by all the work I have dont on it and is adding as much again as I did to the map, so it should be a nice fat mission with loads of places for the player to explore and loot when Melan and myself have finished with it.

^_^

Excellent.

And if he takes until Christmas, maybe I'll have a shiny new computer to play it on.

Thanks!

Would be cool to release the mission again on Christmas. Kind of a 'Christmas-Edition' for the last year 'Christmas-Contest'-winner. :laugh:

I´m so glad to hear the mission is getting bigger and bigger. I´m sure there will be a lot of screenshots for my screensaver... :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Ok as of about a week or so ago, Melan now has the mission. He is going to add even more places for players to explore on top of all the extra content and places I have added...!!! For a single mission TDM this thing is gonna be T2 like in its proportions...

Hopefully Melan will have some WIP screenies soon etc.

Edited by Bikerdude

Are you putting the pressure on me? :) So far, the changes have been minor bugfixes, but this weekend, I will have time again to work on the project, and if things go well, there will be screens.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Are you putting the pressure on me? So far, the changes have been minor bugfixes, but this weekend, I will have time again to work on the project, and if things go well, there will be screens.

LOL

Not at all Melan, I looking forward to doing a wip flythrough then young man, I assume you will have a list of things for me to fix in the area's i did..?

So, Biker are you back on your epic(s)? What's the news? Please post in the appropriate thread...

(I'm talking of the cathedral, of the inky black sub-terrain, of the mission that was being beta tested quite a while back...)

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Hey, that´s a really nice game in that video you posted, why can´t TDM look like that, eh?

But seriously, very nice video. Very good how you arranged to show that secret room on the roofs. :laugh:

But how did you made your bow-attack cancel without changing or putting away the arrows?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hey, that´s a really nice game in that video you posted, why can´t TDM look like that, eh?

But seriously, very nice video. Very good how you arranged to show that secret room on the roofs. :laugh:

But how did you made your bow-attack cancel without changing or putting away the arrows?

I think its either the tab or escape key to de-knock arrows once selected..

MOUSE central button :|

Thanks for the compliments! :D

For some reasons youtube recoding made video a little darker that actually it is!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Erm, I completely messed around the config, so what is MMB assigned with? Because I use GamePad and would like to know which command/key I need to emulate to do this?

edit: Alright, it´s the FROB-cmd!!

@BikerDude:

Not ESC, dude! (don´t think you have FROB at Tab, have you?) ;)

That´s a really cool feature I didn´t had knowledge of, that not in the wiki, isn´t it?

Well, lowenz, thanks not only for the nice video (I always play in this darkness, well not exactly this dark), but thanks too for showing me this nice feature! :laugh:

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

The 2 of you: thanks for showing; thanks for noticing; thanks for asking; and thanks for detailing...

I too have been "switching" (to the BlackJack and back, Jack) to put away my arrow when I get bow-pull-fatigued all this time. I shall go give it a go now.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Bikerdude or Melan, please open the video lowenz made. At around 1:50 the player gets to a sort of basement that has a light that'sflickering. Can you plz change that flickering to something less sickening? I'm not an epileptic, but I can well imagine how such a person must feel shortly before an attack. Thanks in advance!

Also, lowenz, can you post that video in a higher resolution, like HD 720p or something? I'd like a few friends of mine get an impression of how TDM plays like, and yours is the best attempt until now.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Thanks, man. Also, any news on the progress you're making? Not that I would have the time to play *any* FM any time soon (I'm moving), but call it curiosity. Any I need something to look forward to.

That's really nice to hear. Personally I rate RTTC as the first FM on par with the most atmospheric T2 city FMs (like Rocksbourg, for example). Not that I  didn't like the FMs that came out before that, but Melan did something... different. I loved every second of walking through his city while playing RTTC, and I'm really really looking forward to play the expanded version as well.

By the way, any chance to see the new spider bots I've read about somewhere here? O would that be over-doing it?

Melan's style is in part due to his use of colour, or the lack of it in this case. He has de-saturated all the light sources bar a few and the city sound he used helps the atmosphere a lot. I dont know about the spider bot, this will be down to Melan.

Edited by Bikerdude