Photo

Fan Mission: Return to the City by Melan (2010/01/10)

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: Return to the City by Melan (2010/01/10) (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (4 votes [5.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.80%

3. Good (19 votes [27.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.54%

4. Excellent (33 votes [47.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.83%

5. Near Perfect. Outstanding (13 votes [18.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.84%

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (5 votes [7.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.25%

4. Excellent (28 votes [40.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.58%

5. Near Perfect. Outstanding (36 votes [52.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.17%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

3. Good (31 votes [44.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.93%

4. Excellent (24 votes [34.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

5. Near Perfect. Outstanding (13 votes [18.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#176 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:06 AM

I also spend a lot of time thinking about which textures would fit which scene, and how they will create contrast or blend in with each other. My other project, Curiosity Killed the Cat, uses coloured lights (although having them in mind is a further complication in building), but this FM avoids them and relies exclusively on natural texture colour.
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#177 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

I also spend a lot of time thinking about which textures would fit which scene, and how they will create contrast or blend in with each other. My other project, Curiosity Killed the Cat, uses coloured lights (although having them in mind is a further complication in building), but this FM avoids them and relies exclusively on natural texture colour.

Melan, do you think my little wip city map that you have a look at would benefit from de-saturated lights..?

#178 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

No, it is fine as it is.
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#179 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

Ähem, sorry to go offtopic again, but I made a terrible mistake and I wonder that no one noticed about the 'cancel-arrow-shot'-command; it´s not the FROB-key, but the PARRY/MANIPULATE-key(in the cfg pointed out as: "_zoom")!!! I made the mistake because I have both commands, Frob & Parry assigned to one button on my GamePad. <_<

#180 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

Guys

Ive just gotta say, you are ALL gonna be blown away by the work Melan and myself have been doing on the rttc map. And I say this because even both us and getting goose pimples looking at the work thats been done. Suffice to say this will another milestone for tdm.

^_^

#181 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9424 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

I've been sleepless since the Vertical Contest when you announced your optimization fix so being groggy and out-of-it for a little longer wont be too bad :laugh:

(I will be refreshing my mission downloader like a maniac :wub: )
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#182 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

January is the realistic release date, so don't storm the walls yet. Proper beta-testing will be essential. That said, there is indeed a lot of new things to see - the version I sent off to Bikerdude yesterday night had 9763 brushes, 7170 patches and 4286 entities? The original map had 3885/3409/2232 and even something as huge as Heart has only 10165/5964/3565. Of course, Heart is at heart (sorry! sorry!) a very complex mission with a convoluted plot and a lot of object interaction, while RttC is more exploratory, but it shows how the project has grown.

#183 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37693 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

Are you modifying the story/objectives as well? All this new work sounds very tantalizing, but are those of us who played RttC already going to already know where to go and what to do?
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#184 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

The premise and main objective are identical - still a mostly straightforward burglary mission, as originally intended. Lots of new locations, though, in both old and new areas, so it is in many respects better to approach it as a new experience.

Edited by Melan, 28 December 2010 - 11:08 AM.

#185 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:59 AM

Just tell me again what FPS you have when you look in the street at mission-start, will ya? (with 1.03-enhancements enabled please) ^_^

#186 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:02 AM

I am not going to lie; if you have a weak PC, it will be like the old retail quip: "We've got good FPS, a good-looking, expansive FM and beautiful post-processing effects. For that price, you can choose two." Nonetheless, while the FPS is low, it's supposed to be at least even - hopefully no freezes.

#187 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:43 AM

When you guys get to the testing phase, let me know and I'll have a go at seeing what I can do, just need a more or less static map during that time so that I can move any changes across. But it seems BD is getting quite handy with the ol noggin, performance has been rather good lately so I dont know how much I can do! :)

I'd also like to send you the updated materials that you might be using, I could use the feedback if there are any problems and get them fixed for 1.04, otherwise there are some pretty big improvements (I think anyway ;)) drop me a line if you're interested!

#188 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:02 AM

When you guys get to the testing phase, let me know and I'll have a go at seeing what I can do, just need a more or less static map during that time so that I can move any changes across. But it seems BD is getting quite handy with the ol noggin, performance has been rather good lately so I dont know how much I can do! :)

I'd also like to send you the updated materials that you might be using, I could use the feedback if there are any problems and get them fixed for 1.04, otherwise there are some pretty big improvements (I think anyway ;)) drop me a line if you're interested!

Will do; just a moment.

#189 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

If you guys are going into a beta phase, I would also be interested in helping test. I was pretty surprised that my PC, which was brand new about a year and a half ago, was getting framerates in the 10-12 range in the main street areas (especially at the beginning, like everyone else). I don't really consider that to be an old PC, but I guess it depends on your definition. In any case, I'd like to help if you need it.

#190 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

Let hope the beta testing forum is up by then..

[edit] ah ok, doh!, half asleep..

Edited by Bikerdude, 03 January 2011 - 03:05 PM.

#191 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37693 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

It went up a couple days ago. :huh:
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#192 Aprilsister

Aprilsister

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

Whatever happened to this?

...perhaps a victim of a little 6.6 billion sun-mass neighbor?

Posted Image

#193 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

fixing the remaining bugs for beta testing..

#194 Trickster

Trickster

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

fixing the remaining bugs for beta testing..

looking for it :D

#195 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6274 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Oh I can't wait.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#196 TheUnbeholden

TheUnbeholden

Campaign Dev

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Its one of the more interesting missions, its not as big as I was expecting as the word "city" implies but I still found alot of fun to be had, chantry, mansion where the highlights. The monastery was way to hard getting in through the front entrance especially with the well lit front door, very hard to look inside without getting spotted but I guess thats the price you pay for being so unimaginative as to go in through the front door.
Spoiler

The appearance, well I think it all speaks for itself. From the very moment I started the ambience, news wall references, and 3 guards patrolling had me ducking and weaving into crevices I normally don't need to use. Although I would have preferred a larger builder prison, I guess you can't make everything by everyone's standards.
Overall excellent gameplay, near perfect appreance and a fairly good story from the readables. Nice, and thanks bikerdude for making it run well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users