• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#76 lost_soul

lost_soul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

I wonder though, would it be a good idea to have a more stressful test? IIRC when I ran this test, there were no AIs around and the environment was pretty compact (the training mission). This isn't really an accurate representation of gameplay. Many missions have larger outdoor environments with multiple guards. Perhaps we could at least toss a couple of AI fights in there to simulate being around AIs.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

#77 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3122 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

The AI don't think in the recorded demos anyway, so this can never be a good representation of actual gameplay performance. Nevertheless, it is still fun for some people to compare lengths via benchmark results. ;)

#78 Sonosuke

Sonosuke

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

The AI don't think in the recorded demos anyway, so this can never be a good representation of actual gameplay performance. Nevertheless, it is still fun for some people to compare lengths via benchmark results. ;)

lol, I thought this is going to help you with performance settings...
Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

#79 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7648 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

I wrote this big ole note about how this would be perfect for evaluating things that are "entirely GPU bound" like HDR then I remembered the Light Gem and promptly erased 20 minutes of ranting... :laugh:
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#80 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5710 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

For people who want to test their rig using a standardised demo, here's a PK4 for you to download and check out your performance using the TDM training map.

Thanks a lot to rebb for creating and uploading that file. :)

Instructions:
- Download this PK4: http://www.dramtheth...aining_demo.pk4 (~18 MB)
- Save the file into your darkmod/ folder, into where all the other tdm_*.pk4 files are residing.
- Launch TDM
- Install the Training Mission (this will restart TDM)
- Open the console (by typing Ctrl-Alt-~)
- Type timeDemo training.demo and hit enter, the demo will start

Post the results (average FPS, etc.)

This really should be included in the first post:

-timedemo

(analysis, recording, warping)
doom -timedemo <lump>

The -timedemo parameter plays a demo without limiting graphics to 35 frames per second and upon exiting to the command prompt displays the number of screen frames drawn (gametics) and the time taken to play them (realtics), instead of the ENDOOM screen. The average screen frame rate on a level can be determined with this information (realtics/gametics*35=fps). If a demo recording spans more than one level, the resulting values will be incorrect, as the realtics will correspond only to the last level played.

Like during the built-in demo sequence normally played at the start of a game, this parameter makes most device input bring up the menu while the demo is playing, so pressing the Tab key to select automap mode or pressing Enter to display the last status message can't be used. Some non-playing functions do still work, such as increasing or decreasing the screen size.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#81 elwing

elwing

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

hum, 2x512Mb random generic DDR => 2x1Gb balistix cl2.5 =
first run
45.6 FPS
second run
58,8 FPS
not a bad upgrade :)

got a new update, now playing on 1440*900 with aa2x, bloom at minimum.
10.4seconds resulting in 284.4 fps...

I'm using a core i5 2500 +4Gb of ram, and a nice AMD hd6950

guess it was time to build myself a new computer.

#82 thelvyn

thelvyn

• PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

Phenom2 x2 560BE All 4 cores Unlocked at 3.3ghz
4GB DDR3 1600
Radeon HD5670 1GB Stock speed

Settings:
Res: 1920*1200 (16:10)
Vsync: off
AA: 16
TA: 16
A.Rendering: Standard
I. Shader: HQ

245.6 fps - was second run

Out of curiosity tried again
first run 16.8 seconds 177.6
12.6 235.7
13.0 229.0
13.2 226.1
13.3 223.7

Odd how after the second run it started performing worse each time.

Edited by thelvyn, 16 August 2011 - 08:24 PM.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!
Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

#83 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

Time for an update for this timedemo? There's some major errors with last releases of TDM:

Posted Image

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#84 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

No one interested? :|

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#85 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

Not really too sure how that happens, however when I record a new demo, the same thing happens on replay... hmm!

#86 ungoliant

ungoliant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Decided to do a run on the new rig:

System:
i5 3570K
8GB DDR3
GTX 670
Win7 Ultimate x64

Settings:
Resolution: 1680x1050
AA: off
Anisotropy: 1x
Ambient: normal
interaction shader: enhanced
Postprocessing: on

results:
1: 2976 frames in 9.8 seconds = 304.4 FPS
2: 2976 frames in 9.9 seconds = 299.9 FPS
3: 2976 frames in 10.0 seconds = 296.7 FPS

Settings:
Resolution: 1680x1050
AA: 8x
Anisotropy: 8x
Ambient: normal
interaction shader: enhanced
Postprocessing: on

Results:
1: 2976 Frames rendered in 15.6 seconds = 191.1 FPS
2: 2976 Frames rendered in 15.8 seconds = 188.7 FPS
3: 2976 Frames rendered in 15.7 seconds = 189.7 FPS

And yes, I got some weird ass artifacts and skybox rendering issues with my Nvidia card, doesn't happen on other missions.

#87 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

Up!?

Maybe include a benchmark level in future standalone release is a good idea!

Edited by lowenz, 11 December 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#88 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Timedemos are quite closely bound to the engine internals (a bit like savegames), so they'd need to be re-recorded per-release - which would invalidate the results - as well as being a fairly unrealistic representation of CPU load.

Perhaps we could do something with a timed camera fly-around of a map, throw in some scripted physics events and AI.
  • MoroseTroll likes this

#89 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Any news? No need to mantain the compatibility with old one results! Let's refresh it!
IMHO the standalone version must integrate a benchmark tool: it's always a good thing for new players :D and an interesting aspect about ID4 Tech evolution: think, all those possible reviews/articles on tech/videogame sites!

It's PR material :P

Edited by lowenz, 05 May 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#90 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Timedemos are quite closely bound to the engine internals (a bit like savegames), so they'd need to be re-recorded per-release - which would invalidate the results - as well as being a fairly unrealistic representation of CPU load.

Perhaps we could do something with a timed camera fly-around of a map, throw in some scripted physics events and AI.

Yeah, timedemos are not a real good benchmark tool - they don't play sound, f.i., the AI is no patroling, and so on. A "real time demo" in a benchmark map would be better to show the workload the game does, opposed to "what the renderer does".
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#91 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:34 AM

Any news? No need to mantain the compatibility with old one results! Let's refresh it!
IMHO the standalone version must integrate a benchmark tool: it's always a good thing for new players :D and an interesting aspect about ID4 Tech evolution: think, all those possible reviews/articles on tech/videogame sites!

It's PR material :P

Up for the request!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users