Photo

Fan Mission: The Tears of St. Lucia (2008/10/21)

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#26 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

There have been 3 releases of this thing, right? The original alpha-preview-demo-thingy; then the update for the beta; and finally an update to that, correct? I noticed (trying to stay very circumspect and unspoiled) that there was a bug in the beta-ready, I think...

Can someone verify that each one has a proper (unique) version number, as it has been mirrored far and wide, and let me know which version is the one that is ready for the beta AND has that latest bug stamped out?

Thanks.

Edited by aidakeeley, 22 January 2010 - 01:40 PM.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#27 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

This is probably the first FM that can be considered a classic... =)
  • fraten likes this

#28 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37174 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

that there was a bug in the beta-ready, I think...

There was a version with a small bug available for a few hours, but it was just a menu screen that was a bit squished. Nothing that would spoil the mission for you, even if you happened to get it by mistake.

#29 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

Oh, okay. I guess maybe that doesn't merit a new version number (but really that's why they have v3.0.1.12.4.57s) :laugh:

It doesn't hurt anything.
There's no shame in it.
It's the whole purpose of minor, mini, minorette, micro, nano-numbering! :laugh:

Thanks for giving me the heads up - I really want to stay completely unspoiled and you've made that possible. Can you do me one favor and help me decipher which is definitely a direct download of the very fixedest workingest one?

The link at the top of this thread goes to a page that says...

Mission Details
Title The Tears of St. Lucia
Released 2008-10-21

Which is not the one I want. I want the one released recently.

It does also say and has links for (and separate pictures for)...

FM Download Locations: The Tears of St. Lucia
#1 English http://www.mediafire.com/?v2yao2cyzcn
#2 Englis....

Which indicates two versions? Or two download locations? Or who knows which is what and which has the very latest?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious. But, again, that's why the system of version numbering is part of the sw release paradigm.
"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#30 Baddcog

Baddcog

Mod hero

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

I believe Spring said the latest (fixed version) was up at media fire (link #1)
Someone else took care of link #2 I believe. So yes 2 links, not 2 versions.

Any update will replace any old versions so everything stays updated.
Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

#31 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

Great. Thanks. That's the one I'll grab then -- the mediafire one.

I hope you guys understand the point I was making and understand that I'm really not trying to be a pest. It's obviously a minor bug and this is obviously something I could have figured out on my own without too much trial and error anyway; but I do think that page (etc) can be confusing.

I'm feeling a bit like a pest what with these posts (and another set on FM dates and titles). :blush:

I just think that useful conventions should be used.

Thanks again.

And of course thanks loads for the mission!

Edited by aidakeeley, 22 January 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#32 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:22 AM

@aidakeeley: Both links (mediafire, bloodgate) point to the updated version. We did set the "old" release data because that was when it was first released and the new version is not different, it just has been fixed to run with v1.00 of TDM. If you accidently tried the old one, it wouldn't work.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#33 Havner

Havner

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

@aidakeeley: Both links (mediafire, bloodgate) point to the updated version. We did set the "old" release data because that was when it was first released and the new version is not different, it just has been fixed to run with v1.00 of TDM. If you accidently tried the old one, it wouldn't work.

I think he referred to versions updated to 1.00, the one with squashed thingy and the one fixed. So both would run correctly, no easy way to know which one you have.

I really need to support him about version numbering. In open source world it's very disliked to overwrite new package with old version number. It creates confusion, it brakes distfiles servers etc (same filename, different checksum). I know there are no such problems here but still, imagine a person on dial-up (yes, they still exist) that downloaded a few MB fan mission around the time you updated it. No way to know which one you have. Minor version update is not a problem for a packager and it easily allows you to determine which version you have. Something like 1.0.1 update for 1.0. 

1.0 -> 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 - bugfixing

1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 - new content/mission changes

1.0 -> 2.0 - redisigning bigger part of a mission

That's only an example but it's really good habit to use such (or similar) scheme, even if it makes a life easier for just a few people.

And of course big thanks for St. Lucia as a release for TDM 1.0, been waiting some time for this to replay this mission. For some reason I still remember it the most and as one of the best.

Edited by Havner, 23 January 2010 - 09:53 AM.

#34 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Here's a very taffing video :D

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1AblK6vTIQU

Edited by lowenz, 24 January 2010 - 06:07 PM.

• swordbreaker likes this

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#35 Havner

Havner

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

Those doors downstairs at the end of a corridor filled with hammers. Was it possible to open them? How? Couldn't find any way playing that as an alpha earlier but this time would be nice to see whats there.

Spoiler

There is a small bug there. The textures on a key hole near those doors is mapped incorectly.

Edited by Havner, 23 January 2010 - 07:15 PM.

#36 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:28 AM

Yeah, it's a problem with the model. Already on my list! ;) I don't understand either though, why that door isn't openable. It would have improved the mission a lot, because of a more non-linear architectural layout. It could at least have been openable from the side of the crypt.

#37 Havner

Havner

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:30 AM

I also experienced a bug with the first objective being unchecked after leaving the church. This made the mission impossible to complete, see the stats, etc.

#38 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

I also experienced a bug with the first objective being unchecked after leaving the church. This made the mission impossible to complete, see the stats, etc.

Same with me. Will there be an updated version of the mission?

#39 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37174 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, it's a problem with the model. Already on my list!

Screenshot?

#40 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Screenshot is to be found in this post in the major-model-issues-package... ;)

Seconded! :(

Edited by STiFU, 24 January 2010 - 12:39 PM.

#41 Carnage

Carnage

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Great mission, think I played it for at least an hour! Completed all the objectives and then I got the same prob like the others with the objective. Still a very good mission and it's amazing how you guys are able to create a wonderful atmosphere. I'm looking forward to the next set of missions.

#42 Dunedain

Dunedain

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the update to version 1.0. :) I'm sure the few remaining bugs will be fixed.

I agree, this mission has a very Thiefy atmosphere and style. I hope all the Thief fans missions will carry on with this type of authentic Thief atmosphere, look and feel. :)

#43 Chiron

Chiron

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

Thank you for updating this great fm to TDM 1.0 level.

What I really like is that I can play it with great fps on my machine.

Whatever it is, hardcore optimized visportals, smaller textures, dumber AI ;-) ... it works for me :laugh:

#44 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:38 AM

Here's all the FM, without quest spoiler :D

http://www.youtube.c...E67EC9CFEFFBD6B

And yes, "picklockable" cript door would be a must.....and we'll have a little masterpiece :P

Edited by lowenz, 27 January 2010 - 08:21 AM.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#45 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

A very enjoyable mission indeed and I commend everyone involved in either the original or the launching of this latest version. It ran extremely smoothly on my computer with no slowing down or hitches. It reminded me very much of the original Thief , with good atmosphere and settings . And I just loved those fire arrows , just like the old days! Surprised they haven't yet appeared in any other mission .

#46 Ishtvan

Ishtvan

Programmer

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14860 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

Did we (the team) fix the mod-wide issue that was causing the objectives bug in our latest SVN build? I'm worried it might not be fixed, because I played it yesterday and still got the bug. Or maybe it requires both that mod-wide fix and a map fix?

#47 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 16053 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:04 AM

Well, if nobody filed a tracker entry for this, the SVN logs or the original (internal) thread are the only way to find out.

#48 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37174 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:27 AM

I believe Fidcal said it had to be fixed on both.

#49 kaldor

kaldor

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

Are there no lockpicks in this mission? :unsure:

I am wondering, too. A thief needs his lockpicks ;)

Somehow I am stuck in the mission:

Spoiler

Edited by kaldor, 03 February 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#50 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

I am wondering, too. A thief needs his lockpicks ;)

It was built before the complete implementation of TDM lockpicking system: that's why ;)

Edited by lowenz, 03 February 2010 - 07:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users