The Dark Mod Forums

Doom 3 Crashes

quakis

I'm not having any luck whatsoever trying to solve what is wrong, but maybe someone here may have an idea. Generally, I'll play through Doom 3 and within a minute to 30 minutes, the game will randomly crash and only the sound plays in the background. I've reinstalled Doom 3 twice and the problem persists, (if it helps, I have the 3 CD Retail version and the game worked fine in '05) I even tried running with a single core because I ran out of options, but the game was just unplayable.

Doom 3 is patched to the correct version as stated by the TDM Wiki, and I tried running TDM as a gamble and play through the training mission. It works really well but there is a SPECIFIC spot the game crashes in a similar fashion. It has done this three times;

It's the object-room and Doom3.exe crashes when I'm looking into this room;

tdmroomcrash.jpg

Otherwise, TDM (training mission) works fine except that area. I'd love a solution to stop these crashes. I think it might be a Doom 3 resource specific problem, but I have no idea since I reinstalled plenty of times.

Here's my PC specs either way;

Windows XP Pro

Radeon Sapphire HD2600 XT

Pentium CPU D 3.40GHZ (Dual Core)

Ram: 2.00gb

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Yes, this is a known problem for some people with ATI cards. There is a certain texture that (for some reason) causes a crash. This will be fixed in our next update, but that could be another week or two away. I'm not sure if there was a temporary fix posted....

Hey there quakis,

As said, the issue is resolved in the next version. The problem is that one of the pillar models in the next room uses a texture which is... badly behaved!

If you could try updating your graphics drivers from http://game.amd.com/ , you will most likely resolve the issue and fix up a few other things! :)

If that fails I will guide you through fixing it by removing the offending texture.

If you could try updating your graphics drivers from http://game.amd.com/ , you will most likely resolve the issue and fix up a few other things! :)

Unfortunetly, my drivers are all up to date =/ But if it is a specific texture that causes TDM to crash, what does that mean for Doom 3 itself? Does that also have badly behaving textures (that need to be punished) too? Because it would be nice to be able to replay Doom 3 again (and some maps I missed out on.

Thanks for the quick responses.

EDIT:

Okay, my drivers were NOT up to date; I remember updating them beforehand but they just kept rebooting my PC and I never bothered since.

Tried 9.12 and 9.11 but those wouldn't even install.

9.10 however, WORKS. Going near that room doesn't crash the game anymore. But I won't celebrate too early, I'm sure another will crop up. I read in another thread this also happens in Chalice, so I'll wait until I check that out and play through Doom 3.

Edited by quakis

• 4 weeks later...

updating drivers to 9.11 got me further into the room, but upon circling the pillar and looking up and down at it, the game crashed again... i wouldn't mind so much, as its going to be fixed anyway, but i want that loot!!!!

updating drivers to 9.11 got me further into the room, but upon circling the pillar and looking up and down at it, the game crashed again... i wouldn't mind so much, as its going to be fixed anyway, but i want that loot!!!!

I have up-to-date drivers for my ATI RADEON X1600 and still crashes here and there. Didn't make a connection about an event that cause that yet. I hope the update will come soon.

EDIT: It crashes not necessarily in the training mission. That one worked quite well.

Edited by Snakebite

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i have also this game-crash problem...

also ati radeon mobility x 1600 and my drivers are - thx to serpentine - up to date.

how can u turn of catalyst ai if i jut have installed the card driver and no ccc?

there are specific places in some map where the game crashes and tells that DOOM 3 has an error and was closed.

i dont know why because its always the same position in game. in the trapped map its the room straight forward from the one u come out of the prison cell and in living expenses its a room upstairs with a fountain in it.

in trapped i just have to enter the room before the game crashes and in the expenses maps its when i enter the room and turn right.

what can i do?

greetz Mc

I cant remember if the crash is fixed by disabling AI, however its certainly fixed in the next version - which is "close" to being released.

If you want to try disabling it anyway, download and install this

Right click the icon in your tray -> OpenGL -> Settings -> Additional tab -> Turn Cat AI off -> Apply/OK

Should do the trick, else find something to keep you busy for a few days til the patch can remove your savegame and this bug :)