The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex 3

Unstoppable

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/907179/deus-ex-3-unofficial-title/videos/deusex3_trl_trailer_30910.html

:D:oB)

Check out the reply thread over at Deus Ex 3 forums, page 2 has dev input.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=102919

DEV Q&A

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1077019p1.html

In the first two games, there was a great freedom in how you could approach each situation. With Deus Ex 3, how do you plan to expand upon that aspect of gameplay? - HeavyMetalChronus

Jean-Francois Dugas : Our initial goal was to identify the core values of Deus Ex and bring them back for a new generation of gamers. The core values were established by Warren Spector and company, so by building on top of it, I think his heritage is quite present. Of course, the first game was released several years ago; we needed to bring fresh ideas to the table but never without respecting the essence of what makes a Deus Ex game what it is. In the end, it's going to be a mix of old and new.

Staying true to the original and making a real Deus Ex game is vital to this project. Although we are a new team working on the game, we have the benefit of time and perspective to look back at the first two games and really identify the core aspects of a Deus Ex game, as well as what went right and wrong. Of course, Deus Ex 1 and 2 varied a bit in what those core aspects were -- ultimately, we decided to emulate the first game more; as mentioned, we no longer have unified ammunition and we are returning to an inventory system reminiscent of the first game. We also wanted to ensure that our levels are larger and more open than in Invisible War (i.e. Hong Kong in Deus Ex 1).

Is Deus Ex: Human Revolution in the same universe as the previous Deus Ex games? Since the game is a prequel, does it follow the same timeline and some of the characters and link to the first game?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution takes place in 2027, 25 years before JC Denton and the start of the first game. The writers and development team have been working closely with the lead writer of the first two games, Sheldon Pacotti, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution segues nicely into the start of the first game, meeting some familiar characters along the way…

Edited by Unstoppable

Our initial goal was to identify the core values of Deus Ex and bring them back for a new generation of gamers. The core values were established by Warren Spector and company, so by building on top of it, I think his heritage is quite present. Of course, the first game was released several years ago; we needed to bring fresh ideas to the table but never without respecting the essence of what makes a Deus Ex game what it is. In the end, it's going to be a mix of old and new.

Staying true to the original and making a real Deus Ex game is vital to this project. Although we are a new team working on the game, we have the benefit of time and perspective to look back at the first two games and really identify the core aspects..

I wish they'd give us some assurance that they are going to pay attention to what is important to us the players that being the core aspects of the original games because the core of the game is where you'll find what matters most for those of us who loved the game at its core where the essential and integral thing was the thing that defined the game that being its core aspects, down in the core, where the core is and all the aspects that lie at the core of the game don't necessarily, say, 'rise to the surface' (being of cores... er of course, core aspects) but are still at the very core of what matters... I just think it'd be agood idea if they could hit upon these core issues about respecting and retaining the core aspects when they speak to us about what to expect as far as the anxiety many of us may have about them possibly not paying attention to what was it that made, at the heart or some may say "core" of the originals, so damned great.

I know I'd feel better.

I wish companies would stop showing cinematics and show the actual game in the trailer. Who do they think their tricking into buying their games

Is the game that far along that they'd be able to do this? I really don't know but I didn't think so. I thought they were a ways off, which means a long ways off...

I like the trailer because it gives me some idea what the plot may be; and while I cannot be sure, I do see that the political message may be one I won't be sickened by.

I'll still be surprised if I'm not eventually sickened by it, but from just the bits and pieces there? I indeed could be pleasantly surprised!

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

The full trailer will be shown at E3 2010. A trailer is created to promote the game and reveal things about it, like the plot for instance...

So THAT'S what a trailer is for!!!

:laugh:

A trailer should also, in my opinion, show ingame footage. Not that the footage has to reveal anything specific, just show what the game is 'really' going to look like. A cinematic is not the game, the ingame work is what interests me. This reliance upon cinematic trailers to 'wow' everyone turns me completely off.

In any case, they've been working long enough to show some ingame clips.

It can be an interesting game but its ridiculous to say this is a prequel..

The world just don't fit at all from what i saw on the concept arts.

Sorry but that renessaince thing is bullsh.t there was just no sign of this in DX, DX had a believable world not some stupid utopia. My provision is. Deus ex will be yellow and brownish and it will be "look we grimmed it with darkness"..yet it will clean and tasteless as a german strategy game. I think it will be either a fun game without any deep story or gameplay like bioshock or it will be a financial failure like torment, thief, or anything thats actually good. I think the next time we will get games with some effort in them will be when simple shooting in the most craziest of environments will finally bore players to hell.

but really, games can be so easy to describe nowadays.You just name 2 colours and the "special gameplay mechanic".

Edited by _Atti_

So THAT'S what a trailer is for!!!This reliance upon cinematic trailers to 'wow' everyone turns me completely off.

Yeah, I don't like it much either.

Remember that final Duke Nukem Forever trailer? Rolling. On. Floor. Laughing. :laugh:

You just name 2 colours

1. Shit brown.

2. Baby shit brown.

and the "special gameplay mechanic".

Last gen: Bullet time.

Current gen: Health recharges automatically over time.

Oh. Wait. :P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

don´t wanna be a bad prophet, but i don´t expect dx3 (nor new ThiAf) gonna be success. It´s trend these days to completely rearrange given series gameplay, look what action-shooter they made from Splinter Cell, and what "novelty" is being announced for new Ghost recon (LOL). Guess consoles are responsible, to an extent. I´ll stick with FM´s.

I wish they'd give us some assurance that they are going to pay attention to what is important to us the players

The only thing they will pay attention to is how much money they can rake in with the minimal effort. Don't fool yourself.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

You forget people working on DX 3 and Thief 4 helped to revive the Tomb Raider franchise and are also making a brand new game that is wildly different from Tomb Raider formula. That is more like a co-op dungeon crawling type game sorta like Gauntlet Legends which looks good.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/new-lara-croft-game-announced.html

So if they did it with Tomb Raider I don't see why they wouldn't be able to with DX 3. Look at Just Cause 2. Just Cause 1 was released and Just Cause 2, vast improvement over it's predecessor.

You forget people working on DX 3 and Thief 4 helped to revive the Tomb Raider franchise and are also making a brand new game that is wildly different from Tomb Raider formula.

Crystal Dynamics? They're in San Francisco. What are they doing in Deus Ex 3 other than sharing their TR: Underworld engine? Have some of them left Crystal Dynamics to join Eidos Montreal?

Eidos is using the Crystal D (Tomb Raider) engine highly modified for Deus Ex 3. This time they have people who know the engine at it's core heping them. (Crystal Dynamic programmers). With a sturdy engine they're not wasting time running around trying to find one like in Invisible War.

So yea Crystal D people are helping in this project and so is Squaresoft. I believe it will be successful.

So yea Crystal D people are helping in this project and so is Squaresoft. I believe it will be successful.

Yes, but they're only providing 'technical support' for the engine...they have nothing to do with the actual game design. lol It's quite a stretch to say "people working on DX 3 and Thief 4 helped to revive the Tomb Raider franchise", because they're not.

We used id softwares idtech4 engine. Modders were able to get some tech support from one of id's guys for awhile too, but that doesn't mean the people who created doom 3 were working on TDM. ;)

jdude

I wish companies would stop showing cinematics and show the actual game in the trailer. Who do they think their tricking into buying their games?

Heh, I have the exact same thoughts when I see stuff like that.. happy.gif

there were for some period of time static images of in game stuff, I've got some of them, it looks alright to me, but the images are a year old. The only trouble I see is telling which is concept art and whats an actual picture of something in game because they are so simular.

• 1 month later...

Nice cinematics...we know they'll look all googoo gaga eye candy good, but are they making a movie or a game? Where's the gameplay? This tells us nothing of whether or not the game will be any good. They've had more than enough time to get beyond these teasers and trailers. Show us a game. I'm so sick of game companies thinking they're movie studios.

Corprayshuns are more powerful than the Gubmint!

like the trailer because it gives me some idea what the plot may be; and while I cannot be sure, I do see that the political message may be one I won't be sickened by.

I'll still be surprised if I'm not eventually sickened by it, but from just the bits and pieces there? I indeed could be pleasantly surprised

Well, now that they*ve officially done nothing but ramp up the dumb... I'm officially sickened by it.

*Damned Corprayshun!!!

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696