The Dark Mod Forums

Crashes to desktop with TDM 1.01

Jugger

Hi,

I've downloaded 1.01 and everything went fine until I started to play training mission. I can usually play game fine some minutes but then the game seems to freeze randomly and after a few seconds I just get a message saying "program has performed an illegal operation" and desktop.

- TDM 1.00 has worked fine, I've played every fanmission there is for TDM and never had a single crash with it(including the training mission)

- Download operation for 1.01 went fine, all files passed the integrity check

- I deleted all old saves before updating, so the problem should not be related to the savegame-files. Though it has to be mentioned that sometimes game crashes just when quicksaving, and then the quicksave-file becomes unusable

- I checked TDM FAQ but didn't find any solution from there

- One example of crash is when played training mission and from the door that takes you to the sneaking practice. When i entered a place where the first hammerite is sitting the game did freeze. I then started the mission again but the game didn't freeze in that same place and I was able to play the sneaking-part without freezes. Another example of crash was in the room where you have to lit up the torches.

- I downloaded training mission again to make sure it's not broken, but didn't help

My system is Intel Core duo 3.0Ghz, 4GB ram, NVIDIA 8800GTS 640MT, Win XP SP2

Only thing that comes to my mind is that I've updated display drivers recently(196.21), however all the other games works fine with them. I also have NHancer installed, but right now I'm using just driver defaults. Has anyone else using NVIDIA and 196.21 drivers experienced this?

Does TDM create any kind of crashlog that could give some more information about the problem?

EDIT: I just played thru "Living Expenses" and "Outpost" and din't get any lock-ups

Edited by Jugger

Have you still got the original training mission? If so, and that still works OK then it points to the new trainer. But if the old one also gives the errors then it suggests some change in the code or assets that is in both.

I downloaded old training mission from the downloads page and yes it crashes too. The easiest way to replicate the crash is by doing a quick-save in place where I have to take a key from a guard's belt.

Does the new and old training missions have any noticeable differences? I haven't seen any differences and also description is exactly same with old and new version so there is no way of distinguishing them. Is this normal?

Could there be some conflicting files? I remember that when using v1.00, I had to do some manual editing suggested in these forums because my savegames were getting way too big with one fanmission. Do I have to change that back maybe?

I downloaded old training mission from the downloads page and yes it crashes too. The easiest way to replicate the crash is by doing a quick-save in place where I have to take a key from a guard's belt.

Does the new and old training missions have any noticeable differences? I haven't seen any differences and also description is exactly same with old and new version so there is no way of distinguishing them. Is this normal?

Could there be some conflicting files? I remember that when using v1.00, I had to do some manual editing suggested in these forums because my savegames were getting way too big with one fanmission. Do I have to change that back maybe?

The new training mission is not yet up on the server, so you still get the old one AFAIK.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax