The Dark Mod Forums

tdmlauncher.linux fails after update to 1.01

anwyn

After a sucessfull update via tdm_update.linux the new tdmlauncher.linux fails with a variation of the library symbol error mentioned in the FAQ. This is on a 64bit Gentoo Linux system.

$ 27 [../darkmod]> uname -a
Linux winger 2.6.31-gentoo-r6 #1 PREEMPT Wed Dec 23 12:51:15 CET 2009 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

$ 28 [../darkmod]> ldd ./tdmlauncher.linux 
./tdmlauncher.linux: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.4/32/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./tdmlauncher.linux)
linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.4/32/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7ebe000)
libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7e98000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf7e8a000)
libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7d42000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7fe0000)

The system uses gcc 4.3.4, newer gcc's are still flagged unstable for this architecture.

Removing the libs from /opt/doom3 did not help, according to ldd they were not used anyway.

Any hints?

The previous TDM version did run fine (after I created a /export/tmp directory, because it could not handle that /home is a symlink to /export/home on my system).

Damn! That will teach me to tarball my ~/.doom3/darkmod directory before upgrading.

I have the exact same issue as anwyn, also running GCC 4.3.4 on 64-bit Gentoo.

$uname -a
Linux janus 2.6.31-gentoo-r10 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Mar 21 15:47:25 EST 2010 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

After poking around in /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.4/32/ libstdc++.so.6 it seems GLIBCXX_3.4.10 is the

highest version supported.

So, because I can't bear to be without The Dark Mod, I've installed the next highest available GCC (4.4.1) and swap between the two when I want to play. i.e.

Unmask 4.4.1 by adding the following line to /etc/portage/package.keywords

=sys-devel/gcc-4.4.1

Install new version. Major version changes of GCC are slotted so won't be used by default.

# emerge -av =sys-devel/gcc-4.4.1

Check the new version is available and swap to it.

#gcc-config --list-profiles
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4 *
[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.1

#gcc-config x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.1
#source /etc/profile

Play The Dark Mod, launching in the usual way.

Swap back when done.

#gcc-config x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
#source /etc/profile

This last step is very important! I'm guessing the higher versions were masked for a reason so until they're marked stable I won't be be doing a system upgrade.

Anyway that's my work-around. It's a hassle but it works. If anyone knows of a better way please let me know.

Cheers

P.S Just my luck Gentoo will stabilize a higher GCC just as Dark Mod hits V1.02 ;-)

Cool, I'm glad you found a work-around. I need to try it myself this evening. You can also try to start tdmlauncher.linux with preset LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables. Perhaps this will make the gcc-config switching unnecessary.

$ [.../darkmod]> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.1/32/libstdc++.so.6 tdmlauncher.linux

or

$ [.../darkmod]> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.1/32/ tdmlauncher.linux