The Dark Mod Forums

serval issues: crashing demos and failed updater

pigtailsboy

I managed to get the saint lucia demo working a wile back in the year. I'm almost certain I had a problem with it at first but did play through the demo a few times. I wanted to discover if the mod would work for me and it did. Trouble is now the demo doesn't work. On top of that back when the demo did I tried to obtain the full mod. The TDM updater didn't seem to be able to connect to the file server and just as soon as the dos prompt window opened it would close, giving me little time to read the text. What I could tell was that it couldn't find the file server. I can download the full mod without the updater but I need to know that the mod will work first. I can do that with saint lucia.

I'm running a 64bit windows 7 with stock ati chipset for a new medium end computer. It's pretty basic but it can handle some old games that aren't to graphic.

After I tried out the saint lucia demo I spent some time playing all sorts of other things, and downloaded a host of other mods and maps for doom. I'm half convinced that some of those mods made things inhospitable for TDM to work. Running TDM crashes doom3 but in a way where the screen remains black and any window that pops up can be selected with the mouse (which remains visual on the pop up). I can provide error information for doom and the mod as both seem to have an entry in event viewer. If it helps I'll screen the doom3 and base folder if there's anything relevant that could be gathered from that.

EDIT: I recall that saint lucia ran well enough. I didn't study it carefully though.

Edited by pigtailsboy

• 2 weeks later...

Once you've updated to the full version of the mod, you'll also need to download the updated version of Saint Lucia as the demo won't be compatible with the latest version of TDM.

I've installed saint lucia, will play through if it works. I might try doom first to see if it's operating properly then the demo tdm. I'll get back in a bit.<br><br>Game and the saint lucia demo are working. Will download the full package... might just see if I can get the updater to work.<br>

Edited by pigtailsboy

I can't locate the new tdm 1.01 update. Updating isn't possible through the server or the updater. I'm not informed on how to use a torrent download so I'm only in possession of a 19 kb file. I could download I think from moddb but you guys haven't bothered to update the download listings so only tdm 1.0 and 1.0 corrected are there. The last update listing is for january. Why are you guys keeping up with that site?

How to I make use of the torrent file? Or better still, since it's recommended, how do I make it possible for the updater to download the mod files? I can't obtain a screen of the dos prompt before it's closed. I shut down my firewall to see if that would work and it hasn't resulted in any difference.

Look here for a Torrent-programm:

www.utorrent.com

This software will open the file you have downloaded and will connect to people who are online and download from them. Just like in the good old Napster-days. :)

Thanks

attempting now. I'll be interested as to how this whole things works out when it finished.

When it comes to updates what channel should I use? Attempt to use the updater or use the zip file provided on the main page and add the contents. I assume that's what I'm supposed to do with the zip file.

EDIT: the download is getting progressively slower. It got as low as a few kb per second and just checked now it was up again but dropping down. How's this whole thing supposed to operate? I'm supposing it relies on other users? How should I make this file available to others, if I ever complete the download.

Dear lord it's up to a 1 week and a day now. It hasn't been up from 5% since several minutes ago when it was going like gangbusters.

EDIT: Reading up about port forwarding. Figuring this out.

Edited by pigtailsboy

If you let the file active and the program running while you´re online it is always uploading. How much the upload speed will be is up to you.

On torrents you have sometimes very fast and very slow connections. Depends on the speed of the other uploaders. Maybe at evenings the speed is better. How many Seeders and Peers do you have to choose from? (The program chooses the best itself)

But you should try the updater as well in the future. Has to work. As I used the update it was very slow though.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

If you let the file active and the program running while you´re online it is always uploading. How much the upload speed will be is up to you.

On torrents you have sometimes very fast and very slow connections. Depends on the speed of the other uploaders. Maybe at evenings the speed is better. How many Seeders and Peers do you have to choose from? (The program chooses the best itself)

But you should try the updater as well in the future. Has to work. As I used the update it was very slow though.

It was a slow process but it finished in around nine hours. I figured that the upload effected the speed. The updater is entirely useless to me and I'm not sure why. I can't get any idea what's wrong wile the dos prompt is so quick to close.

It was a slow process but it finished in around nine hours. I figured that the upload effected the speed. The updater is entirely useless to me and I'm not sure why. I can't get any idea what's wrong wile the dos prompt is so quick to close.

Open up a command promp by executing "cmd.exe" and then navigate to the directory and then run the updater, it then should show you whats wrong.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax