Photo

Anyone want to join me?

36 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:34 AM

Hey everyone. Last holidays (NSW) i began to try making a fan mission for the dark mod. I got a mapper who spent 2 weeks 'supposedly' mapping and didn't produce anything :( I only asked him to make the basic geometry that could be accomplished with a 16 pt grid restriction, he also insisted in using QuArK which might have meant issues down the track causes by QuArK slightly flawed exporter. But it would have made a big difference at any rate!

Well, he's doing something else now, and I tried mapping with dark radiant the other day. It took me hours to get the water working how I like! I got it working then realised that it's going to make the creation of my map alot harder! :( can't overlap water brushes with other brushes, or else they disappear. And that means the water surface on my map is going to need a lot of faces.

So you get the general idea, it's going to take me a while to learn how to map, but the problem is i don't have much time. The reason i bring this all up if i don't have time for learning to map is, i might just barely have time to model all the extra bits and pieces, add some new textures, write the story and design the scenes, which is still a decent share. I'd save it till the next holidays, but with an attention span like mine, i need to take ever instance of enthusiasm and use it to my advantage!

Here's the concept art for the first part of the map. (see attached) All my concept art took about 5-6 days

EDIT: Oh yeah, i almost forgot, if you'd like to know about the story, send me an PM. I'd just rather not go flapping my mouth about it since it'd ruin plot twists for the majority of people.

EDIT: Hey everyone, Mortem desino wasn't able to help, but I really need help from someone. I told my teacher that I would help make a darkmod mission for my final project for my cert 3 3d animation course. I'm currently very much tangled in school work and will probably not get to do anything substantial until after my HSC exams are over, so I really need some considerate people to do the mapping for me so I can concentrate on making models textures and animations to show what I've learnt in the course. I've already designed the scenes (apart from the house on the island, might need help designing that) any work I need doing by someone else is the part of building the maps and applying textures.

I would be very grateful if someone would help, it would be fun, worthwhile, and would really help me.

Attached Thumbnails

• seaside village.jpg

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh, 26 June 2010 - 09:53 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:35 AM

Here's the overhead view

Attached Thumbnails

• seaside village overhead.jpg

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh, 24 April 2010 - 01:55 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:37 AM

Here is an early concept art for the destination area, it's only a rough idea of what it should look like

Attached Thumbnails

• cliff homeara1r.jpg

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh, 24 April 2010 - 01:38 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Mortem Desino

Mortem Desino

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

Wow. You've really got something awesome in mind. If you catch me some time after April 29, I may be able to help you out: either mapping or technically.

I'll warn you ahead of time: the outside will be hellish to visportal, even with distance-closing func_portals.
yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

#5 Berny

Berny

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:47 AM

wow ;) Idea looks very nice. I hope this will be realised!

#6 swordbreaker

swordbreaker

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:09 AM

too bad I don't have time to join this project, but I can build part of it. Check this space tonight ;)

#7 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

I've been working on a similar map to your 'destination' - Its quite a lot of pain to visportal certain areas, but if you can seperate the lower areas from the upper using something like skyportals you can do it quite nicely and performance isnt too bad.

However since my map is about 40% done and is slowly getting trickled into existence I dont think I'll jump ship. But yeah, I'd try just soldier on with mapping and ask loads of questions here - at least you wont have the project forgotten that way :)

#8 swordbreaker

swordbreaker

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

couple of hours work and result. I think you can guess where it is :)

Posted Image

I really hope someone attend your project because it seems promising. good luck!

Edited by swordbreaker, 19 May 2010 - 01:38 AM.

#9 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

Damn, thats excellent; Lemony Fresh's sketching skills are quite potent too ;)

#10 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

Yes, impressive, both.

And another example of the power of DR.
"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#11 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

@ Mortem Desino

Yeh man, sure my email is mrlemonyfresh@gmail.com, if your ready just send a message :P

Oh wow! nice job swordbreaker, I'm sure it'd help to have at least a little mapping help :P

@ Serpentine

I kinda had deus ex in mind when i was thinking about the water, (like the boarwalk area in the first level ) it's probably easier just to let the water fade to complete darkness. When i saw they way they blended it in with the background, i thought it diddn't look too bad, sure the background city looked a little dated (apart from the lack of 2 certain twin buildings ;P) but it looked alright.

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh, 24 April 2010 - 10:39 PM.

Posted Image

#12 swordbreaker

swordbreaker

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

Oh wow! nice job swordbreaker, I'm sure it'd help to have at least a little mapping help :P

yeah I'll drop it to your box if I'll able to finish it. Probably this weekend.

#13 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

ok, thanks :P
Posted Image

#14 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Guys, Mortem desino is too busy to help, would anyone else like to? keeping in mind what was said recently in my first post.
Posted Image

#15 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

well im a good chunk of the way into my context map, so if all you need is some very basic geometry i can knock them up for you in DR. but, I will lots of pictures etc ans this will significantly speed up the process. When is your deadline or should I ask when do you need a me me to get something to you..?

Drop me a pm.

Edited by Bikerdude, 27 June 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#16 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

too bad I don't have time to join this project, but I can build part of it. Check this space tonight ;)

the link dosent work.

#17 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:49 AM

well im a good chunk of the way into my context map, so if all you need is some very basic geometry i can knock them up for you in DR. but, I will lots of pictures etc ans this will significantly speed up the process. When is your deadline or should I ask when do you need a me me to get something to you..?

Drop me a pm.

Thanks for offering Bikerdude! I'll ad you to my msn so i can fill you in on the details ok?
Posted Image

#18 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

@swordbreaker

you can't stick img links to pictures on imageshack to display images on a forum, imageshack auto delete anyones images who do that it breaks their rules.

Edited by stumpy, 28 June 2010 - 07:45 AM.

#19 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:10 AM

Hey guys, As you can see, biker dude has offered to help, but will only be doing basic geometry. I'm still taking on board mappers if you'd like to help.

In fact i might at some stage make a fresh thread about that some time soon if it's ok with moderators.
Posted Image

#20 Mortem Desino

Mortem Desino

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

Just so I can halt my panging guilt, I built for ye what I thought would be the most difficult piece of geometry and texture-alignment.

shot00004.jpg
Here's the hanging body hut: fully visportaled (!). The builder in the window is there only to show scale.

I actually had to use CSG subtract for those 15-degree angular windows. All together now, everyone point at M.D. and shout disapprovingly: "WE FOUND A WITCH!"

Attached File  babayaga.pfb.txt   98.53KB   123 downloads
yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

#21 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

I'll use that as the basis for the rest of the map then MD, thanks for making my life difficult:laugh:

#22 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:10 AM

Thanks all the same MD, some help is better than none :D
Posted Image

#23 slavatrumpevitch

slavatrumpevitch

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

I like how the picture is called babayaga, but shouldn't it have chicken legs?
Milestones approaching:
Recital: 3-24-12
ToughMudder: 4-15-12
Release first FM: ?-?-20??

#24 Mortem Desino

Mortem Desino

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

Shh! Be quiet or Baba Yaga will come and take you away! :ph34r: