The Dark Mod Forums

Unable to install fan missions since update...

Scope

Hey all,

I am just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem yet as I have been unable to find an open thread regarding it.

I have just updated TDM with the updater, Launched the game and installed an FM as normal... TDM restarts, I go to new mission and the current installed fan mission = " " - Blank.

The option to start the fan mission is there, so I click it and get a blank briefing screen then the error "Couldn't load Map: Maps/ "

I have tried this with several fan missions including the training mission and I get the same problem... Everything was working fine before the update however so I am at a loss as to whats gone wrong really.

I have tried uninstalling the current FM and resintalling it, deleting FM's and downloading them again and nothing is working.

As I write this I am reinstalling 1.00, and I am going to try updating again but I am worried the same thing is going to happen - after hours of downloading...

Anyone know if this is a problem with the mod, or have I done something to the config that could have upset everything...

Cheers.

Edited by Scope
-Scope

If you can Uninstall and it correctly shows nothing installed, and then install an FM and it still shows blank then I can only guess your update is not fully installed.

If you are installing again, try some of the older FMs first to see they work normally. Then update. Make sure the updater says the update is complete. I believe some people are running the updater then when finished they assume it has worked fully - but you need to read the text to see that it is. If you run it again it should say nothing to update.

If you can Uninstall and it correctly shows nothing installed, and then install an FM and it still shows blank then I can only guess your update is not fully installed.

If you are installing again, try some of the older FMs first to see they work normally. Then update. Make sure the updater says the update is complete. I believe some people are running the updater then when finished they assume it has worked fully - but you need to read the text to see that it is. If you run it again it should say nothing to update.

I have already deleted the contents of the Darkmod folder and ran the updater again, there are about 16 more files to download so I will give it another shot.

If the problem persists Fidcal I will let you know.

My own recomendation would be to get a zipped up 1.1 patch for manual install, or the full 1.1 client hosted somewhere for people who have had problems with the updater, as it has never really worked to well for me tbh - I had to use a torrent to get the 1.0 client. Even if this is just free hosting on fileplanet or filefront. Could possibly help with promoting the mod also which isnt a bad thing.

Thanks

Edited by Scope
-Scope

I have already deleted the contents of the Darkmod folder and ran the updater again, there are about 16 more files to download so I will give it another shot.

If the problem persists Fidcal I will let you know.

My own recomendation would be to get a zipped up 1.1 patch for manual install, or the full 1.1 client hosted somewhere for people who have had problems with the updater, as it has never really worked to well for me tbh - I had to use a torrent to get the 1.0 client. Even if this is just free hosting on fileplanet or filefront. Could possibly help with promoting the mod also which isnt a bad thing.

Thanks

Fresh install downloaded from scrath using TDM updater...

I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

When I checked the console it stated that startingmap.txt was missing?

TDM update states its fully up to date :S

I have a steam install so my install path is "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\darkmod"

Have there been any changes with the game since 1.0 which would mean I have to rename my darkmod or doom 3 folder i.e from "Doom 3" to "Doom3" / "darkmod" to "Dark Mod"?

Perhaps its not finding the files because my install directory differs from the path the mod is looking in?

Edited by Scope
-Scope

Can you please confirm the following:

You installed Dark Mod 1.0 afresh

You installed an FM and it played correctly.

You then updated TDM

The New Missions menu now showed a blank mission installed

When you clicked it then it said it couldn't find startmap.

Is the above correct?

Can you please confirm the following:

You installed Dark Mod 1.0 afresh

You installed an FM and it played correctly.

You then updated TDM

The New Missions menu now showed a blank mission installed

When you clicked it then it said it couldn't find startmap.

Is the above correct?

All of the above are correct Fidcal. Everything was fine during 1.0, I played many fan missions for the months leading up to the 1.1 patch.

1.1 broke it for me, and yes the console does say that it cannot find startmap...

I go to start mission, select the mission I want to install... TDM restarts, I select new mission again and this what is displayed....

shot00001k.th.jpg

I click start this mission and I am met with a blank breifing screen, I click "Buy Equipment" and I get the below error...

shot00002sm.th.jpg

Console says that startmap could not be found?

Edited by Scope
-Scope

This usually happens when the FM that is currently installed is missing in the darkmod/fms/ folder, as the darkmod.txt file cannot be found by the engine.

Can you show us what the folder contents are in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 3\darkmod\fms\?

If that won't help, I'll need detailed logging output. I can give instructions on how to get those through darkmod.ini.

This usually happens when the FM that is currently installed is missing in the darkmod/fms/ folder, as the darkmod.txt file cannot be found by the engine.

Can you show us what the folder contents are in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ doom 3\darkmod\fms\?

If that won't help, I'll need detailed logging output. I can give instructions on how to get those through darkmod.ini.

This is all that is in the FM's folder...

clipboard01ws.th.jpg

Is startingmap.txt supposed to be in this folder or in the folder for that FM? When the fresh download was done, there was only the training missions folder. I placed Chalice.pk4 in the FM's folder and after trying to install it in game - that folder was created... with both missions (training mission pre-installed), I get the same error. Both Folders have the various pk4 files and txt files in - including startingmap.txt

If you need the log let me know how and I will send the info.

Edited by Scope
-Scope

Go to your darkmod folder, open darkmod.ini in a text editor and set these values to 1:

LogError=1

LogDebug=1

LogWarning=1

LogInfo=1

and at the bottom of the file

LogClass_MAINMENU=1

Save, exit, run tdmlauncher again and try to run the FM you installed. Exit darkmod and there should be a darkmod.log in the Doom 3 folder. I'd like to see the tdmlauncher.log from the darkmod folder too.

Go to your darkmod folder, open darkmod.ini in a text editor and set these values to 1:

LogError=1

LogDebug=1

LogWarning=1

LogInfo=1

and at the bottom of the file

LogClass_MAINMENU=1

Save, exit, run tdmlauncher again and try to run the FM you installed. Exit darkmod and there should be a darkmod.log in the Doom 3 folder. I'd like to see the tdmlauncher.log from the darkmod folder too.

Cracked it!

Its nothing to do with The Dark Mod its STEAM which is at fault here...

When you said launch from tdmlauncher greebo this rang alarm bells, as I have custom launch parameters set for doom 3 on steam!

Steam is a pain in the backside when you want to run mods, you have to set launch options on steam ITSELF - custom shortcuts with "+set_fsgame darkmod" didnt work for me.

When I wanted to use a mod I had to set the launch parameters for the exe in the steam client itself, so I set steam to run doom3 with "+set_fsgame darkmod" (During 1.0 this was the only way I could get the game working.)

Even though I was using tdmlauncher.exe, Steam overides the custom .exe and executes the game using the settings I saved on steam!

I deleted the custom launch parameters "+set_fsgame darkmod" from steam, and launched again from tdmlauncher.exe - SUCCESS

Because this worked for 1.0, I had no idea it would screw up 1.1... and now I feel rather embarrassed as I have wasted my own and other peoples time!

If there is one thing that can be learned from this - Steam sucks! - But then again we all already knew that :(

Greebo, Fidcal thanks so much for the help - I dont think I would have figured it out if you didn't have me poke about with my settings!

-Scope