The Dark Mod Forums

Environmental Audio Extensions (EAX) in TDM

SneaksieDave

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Besides the 'Underwater'-set that you posted in this thread, are there more Presets evolved in the meantime?

Dave, you should make more advertisement for this, it seems no one (so far) is going to use it. :mellow:

But it´s so easy, I as a complete Newb, had no problems to get it running in Crown of Penitence. B)

I guess most of the TDM-players can 'hear' EAX4.0, right?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Not the Linux ones, I am afraid. At least not until D3 goes open source. I started this wiki page to collect all the things that depend on us getting the source:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=IdTech4_Open_Source

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Just wanted to note (and i don't know if this was known or not), that i replaced some footsteps sounds that were .ogg with some .wav's and i got reverb from them in the eaxdemo test level. That could be a temporary/permanent solution. If so, anyone with a EAX card, some motivation and willingness could convert all those footstep oggs files to .wav using Audacity and offer them up for download. My workload is high, or i'd do it myself.

Say, is there any way to "downgrade" the EAX level for TDM to EAX 2? My Realtek onboard chip does support EAX 2, so I wouldn't need to buy an additional sound card.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Say, is there any way to "downgrade" the EAX level for TDM to EAX 2? My Realtek onboard chip does support EAX 2, so I wouldn't need to buy an additional sound card.

The Doom engine seems to require EAX 4.0, and this is what the menu attempts to enable, so it doesn't work on my Linux box. I am not sure, tho, if we could reduce this to EAX 2.0 (probably it is in the closed code portion) and even if we can, if it would work.

Edit: It is in the close code portion, we have sound/sound.h but not sound/sound.cpp. So no luck, we need open-source D3 first.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Just wanted to note (and i don't know if this was known or not), that i replaced some footsteps sounds that were .ogg with some .wav's and i got reverb from them in the eaxdemo test level.

I think this has to do with the sample rate and such that the file has, not the container itself. Doom3 has down-sampling stuff built in (for >44k samplerates iirc), and I wouldn't be surprised that if these are used that the shader will not be treated correctly (in the same way that with a material shader you can avoid being marked as translucent by using an imageprog instead of the direct map)

If you have some time, I'd be very interested in which files you changed, so that I can work out what what the difference is and see if it's being used in a different way, that way I can try hook my stuff up to do the conversions with as little loss/effort as possible :)

Just wanted to note (and i don't know if this was known or not), that i replaced some footsteps sounds that were .ogg with some .wav's and i got reverb from them in the eaxdemo test level. That could be a temporary/permanent solution. If so, anyone with a EAX card, some motivation and willingness could convert all those footstep oggs files to .wav using Audacity and offer them up for download. My workload is high, or i'd do it myself.

I can do that (if it´s still necessary, Serp?), I have a prog called 'FREERIP', that shoud do it, right? But I just installed Audacity just in case.

So, I´ll convert everything into wav-16bit-PCM from "tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4\sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\" except the 'revenant'-folder, ok?

And where could I upload? Maybe directly to Bloodgate? :rolleyes: (I never uploaded anything before...) Hey, thanks to 7upMan I now have a Xifre-account where one can switch files while online...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Nah, I'm looking more for specific files which I can compare. I want to know the (more or less)exact roof values and such so that we can make some informed choices and wiki doc etc. So most likely sitting around and watching what doom3 does under various generated test cases, trying to figure out what I need to look for in 'bad' sounds, or even if it's something as simple as the container(wav/ogg) type :)

So i replaced the original .ogg stone_run's with .wav's. The .wav's were simply made by using the "export selection" function in Audacity. I'll just upload the .wav's so you can see for yourself, since i'm not sure what info can be gleaned from audacity's interface. @Legion: I'm not sure what bit they are because i stopped paying attention to what it said in Audacity since it would export 16 bit, yet said 32 in the interface (hence, im a newb).

Ok here they are.

http://www.mediafire...333e2icggp3x5x9

I should also note that when i simply changed the links in the sound shader and put them in the sound folder (as opposed to the .pk4) they were not recognized in TDM, I had to copy them to the .pk4.

• 3 weeks later...

Besides the 'Underwater'-set that you posted in this thread, are there more Presets evolved in the meantime?

Dave, you should make more advertisement for this, it seems no one (so far) is going to use it. :mellow:

But it´s so easy, I as a complete Newb, had no problems to get it running in Crown of Penitence. B)

I haven't gone back to trying to make an underwater sound after failing miserably for days of trying. Everything I came up with sounded poor, then I searched on the net and couldn't find any leads.

As for advertising, perhaps, but I'm not sure what else. I made a thread, a demo map, there's a wiki article, and a video on youtube. ;)

After being "encouraged" ;)  by LEGION long enough I bought an Audigy 2 ZS for around 30 Euros an eBay. When compared with my Realtek onboard sound chip, the difference in sound quality is tremendous! And this is even without EAX enabled! So I can only urge you to follow Noisycricket's advice and buy an Audigy 2 or SoundBlaster X-fi for cheap. You won't regret it.

Good point raised in discussion with 7upMan: anyone know a shader keyword to skip EAX for a particular sound? Or are effects applied globally to all sounds? Such a keyword would be useful to have EAX processing skipped for metagame sounds like pages turning, loot chime, etc. I don't recall Doom3 having a problem with PDA sounds in huge caverns, sound I'd guess such a thing exists, but I might not be remembering accurately.

• 4 weeks later...

Nah, I'm looking more for specific files which I can compare. I want to know the (more or less)exact roof values and such so that we can make some informed choices and wiki doc etc. So most likely sitting around and watching what doom3 does under various generated test cases, trying to figure out what I need to look for in 'bad' sounds, or even if it's something as simple as the container(wav/ogg) type :)

Sorta waitin on you Mate. ;)

Hey people, I am thinking about getting me an EAX 4.0 card as well, to get the maximum experience out of TDM. But I have a question first. If I remember correctly, there were problems with EAX and Windows 7 at first, because that OS does not directly support it. I believe there is a wrapper of some sort necessary, to get the desired results, is that right?

I actually once had a proper soundcard capable of EAX, but couldn't get EAX to run under win7 and the "wrapper" was only for audigy cards, or something like that. I really can't quite remember.

Well, I have an Audigy 2 ZS unter Windows XP, but I have read into the issue with Vista/7. Apparently, to be able to hear and EAX effects, you need an OpenAL wrapper. Seems the kinks are already worked out and it really works, so I do recommend you to buy an Audigy 2. Beware, hoewver, of the Soundblaster X-fi, as those cards just emulate the effects in software, while the Audigys do this in hardware.

eBay is your friend on this one: I bought mine for around 30 Euros, and with a little luck you should be able to do so too. The difference in sound quality alone (over a Realtek onboard chipset) is more than worth the price!

Thanks for the info, soft-drink-man. ;) I guess, there's another christmas present coming up for me... :)

soft-drink-man? Careful, boy, my avatar can bite your avatar's head off! ;)

Well, I have an Audigy 2 ZS unter Windows XP, but I have read into the issue with Vista/7. Apparently, to be able to hear and EAX effects, you need an OpenAL wrapper. Seems the kinks are already worked out and it really works, so I do recommend you to buy an Audigy 2. Beware, hoewver, of the Soundblaster X-fi, as those cards just emulate the effects in software, while the Audigys do this in hardware.

The game already uses OpenAL directly, the EAX and such things under Vista onwards do not apply to it directly. That only really applied to DirectSound3D.

'real' X-Fi does EAX 2 onwards and EFX in hardware.

Audigy2-4 (and the rebranded X-Fi's) uses a hybrid approach doing some in software and some in hardware, theres no hard and fast rule to what, but it makes very little difference.

In short, all of these cards have an OpenAL supporting driver and it makes no difference to them post Vista.