Things that could be improved

• Please log in to reply
1932 replies to this topic

#1926 vorob

vorob

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

There are no magic "one-size-fits-all" tricks here. But you can design a map in such way. You need to use projection textures and non-shadow-casting lights to sort of "manually lightmap" your level, just like modern game engines would do. This requires a lot of work and design, but it can be done. And what is most important, the lightgem will react correctly, so you don't need any other special hacks to maintain that illusion.

Sounds like shadows should be drawn... But i'm talking about real time soft shadows. Like in modern games :)

#1927 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:44 AM

Actually dynamic lightning isn't much used in modern engines, maybe for moveable lights. Most lightning is static. Even stuff like flicker or pulsating is faked through materials, with textures and sine wave functions. At least that's how it works in Unreal Engines.

Faking lightmaps is hard, but you don't have to draw shadows manually. If you use modeling software, you could use it to design lightning of your map, and render it to textures, room by room. Then you can put them as projection textures in spot lights. I already tried it and it works, but that's tons of work.

Edited by Judith, 03 May 2017 - 03:45 AM.

• Crinkelite likes this

#1928 vorob

vorob

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:56 AM

Ye, its okay for games where light is just a decoration. But in darkmod/thief, from my point of view, everything should be in real time. So current state is perfect, just need to make shadows soft.

I think i saw a year ago darkmod with soft shadows. Just can't remember where... Maybe it was your wip screenshot? 

Edited by vorob, 03 May 2017 - 03:57 AM.

#1929 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

IMO you have to make players believe that lightning is "realistic" or "real-time" – how you do it is another story ;) I did tests with soft shadows and similar technique for Thief 3, but it's much easier in TDM, because lightgem reacts correctly. I'd love to see what SteveL did with soft shadows cast by meshes and geometry, if that's what he did.

#1930 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:11 AM

Okay, some of you here might remember the infamous discussion about making oil lamps exstinguishable like candles using the frob key. As the TDM 2.05 update broke the solution I had made for myself at the time, I recreated this feature thanks to the help of Destined and Obsttorte and decided to make a small addon for anyone who is interested in this. You can find the ModDB link below and it has the great side effect, that TDM is now officially listed as a game that can be linked to on the ModDB :)!

http://www.moddb.com...-oil-lamp-patch

Edited by wesp5, 16 May 2017 - 11:08 AM.

• Springheel, nbohr1more, Anderson and 1 other like this

#1931 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8170 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

The liughtgem fix is on the coding side, the appearence in game is a gui thing. Two completely seperate things, which can be worked on seperately. As demagogue already said you can easely create your own lightgem if you want to.

Regarding the size of the inventory/weapon icons. It wouldn't be too hard to implement the possibility to change the size of them. But a cvar would needed to be added so the settings can be applied. The cvars are however part of the source code, so the change would only apply in the next update.

Filed a bugtracker: http://bugs.thedarkm...iew.php?id=4393

Ping?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#1932 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5337 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

On my todo list. I'll see that I can finish it before it gets cold. I have two weeks of in two weeks (tight time window, but doable I hope).

• nbohr1more and Anderson like this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#1933 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

I'm sorry in advance again for pushing this through, but will the issue with romanian character/font fix be implemented by 2.06? I'm seeing a lot of activity on the bugtracker, does that mean that final preparations are being done to release the update? 

http://bugs.thedarkm...iew.php?id=4523

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users