The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

Well yeah, but look at the water arrow, it's a crystal vial with water in it, but it will drench a fireplace lol.

They contain more water than it seems because of MAGIC obviously. :P

Also lol'd about the grenade idea, instantly thought of this. :D

http://youtu.be/xOrgLj9lOwk

Edited by Paralytik
  • Like 2

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Water arrows are full of a special liquid designed for dousing flame.

After having read quite a few books in my life, I've found out that the liquid is called "water".

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

Except water isn't "designed".

From the wiki:

With the number of furnaces and steam engines in the city, fire is always a serious danger. Combined with the fear that an enemy nation might one day steal the recipe to liquid fire, the Inventors Guild was charged with developing something that could extinguish that fire. Their alchemists worked for many years, and the result of their efforts was a highly potent form of liquid. Capable of putting out liquid fire, it takes only a tiny amount to extinguish a normal flame.

Attached to arrows for easy delivery, they quickly became the tool of choice for fire brigades, who could use them to put out fires on roofs and other hard to reach locations. Most nobles keep a regular supply in case fire were ever to get out of control in their homes.

Ah, think I read that a while ago, makes sense. So the water is kinda "magical" after all.

Also, I'm not sure you caught my tiny hint of sarcasm in both of my posts on this page. I'll make sure I use more smilies to avoid confusion.

• 1 month later...

This is my first post here. I've been following this mod and these forums for a long time and have been a big fan. Thought I'd finally post here with a small feature request.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. A quick search didn't find anything. There really ought to be a sound effect for player death when falling from too high a height. I always notice the lack of an impact sound when dying from falling; there's just the player grunt and that's it and it seems very inert. A good meaty *SMACK* sound like what they had in the original Thief's would be great. It'd really help to convey the sense that you just made a huge mess on the cobblestones after deciding to jump off a roof into the street below.

foley usually use a big sack of potatoes to represent the sound a body makes from falling from height (usually a hundred weight), just record several sounds of a sack of potatoes falling from 10ft or 3 metre's, the hessian sack type, on to a wooden floor or lino. then if there is too much of an echo effect this can be removed when the sound files are converted. it probably be the best way to do this and not borrow sound effects from another source.

in normal life the body makes a dull thud sound, depends on the surface they hit, and what angle they hit it at, how far they fell and whether they bounced on the way down, but the body will mold itself to the contours of the ground. they don't usually show this in movies it would put people off jumping, but air cavities in the body would cause internal body parts to jump out on impact, depends on how many layers of clothes they've worn and how strong it is, on what distance the body parts would travel.

Edited by stumpy

@Springheel

With the number of furnaces and steam engines in the city, fire is always a serious danger. Combined with the fear that an enemy nation might one day steal the recipe to liquid fire, the Inventors Guild was charged with developing something that could extinguish that fire. Their alchemists worked for many years, and the result of their efforts was a highly potent form of liquid. Capable of putting out liquid fire, it takes only a tiny amount to extinguish a normal flame.

Attached to arrows for easy delivery, they quickly became the tool of choice for fire brigades, who could use them to put out fires on roofs and other hard to reach locations. Most nobles keep a regular supply in case fire were ever to get out of control in their homes.

That is interesting. Where in the wiki is that found? Under fire perhaps? I thought I had pretty much read it all. I must be wrong. Is there more like that? :huh:

Thanks...

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

There really ought to be a sound effect for player death when falling from too high a height.

That shouldn't be too difficult to do.

That is interesting. Where in the wiki is that found?

Under 'arrows' in the Universe section, I believe.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get a few more AI to choose from? Women especially. We have a whore, a rogue, and a noble woman. It would be nice to have a peasant woman, maid, cook; whatever.

I know you can change the heads, but that doesn't change the clothes nor the vocalization. :wacko:

We have a whore, a rogue, and a noble woman

There's also a wench and female thief already.

New characters are one of the most time-consuming and difficult assets to create, so they don't come around very often. Having said that, you're in luck.

http://forums.thedar...post__p__353579

http://forums.thedar...post__p__353962

For the clothes you can use skins. You may have to create custom ones, though. There are also different vocal sets, although I am not usre if there are several ones for the female characters, too. As Springheel said, creating characters is an extremely huge load of work. You have to

• model the ai
  • optimize it, so you have an as low as possible tris count without having the ai look blocky (this is still pretty much handwork, as automatic algorithms don't know what you want to model, and can therefore only "guess" how to optimize the mesh at best)
  • rig it to the existing skeleton or create a new one to rig to (which means you have to tell the engine somehow which vertices should move with which body part, roughly speaking)
  • You have to check whether the animations work fine, and that there is not strange behaviour
  • you have to texturize them, whereas especially the bump maps are a quite difficult task imho
  • you have to create the vocal sets, which requires a person with quite some talent and some good equipment
  • you have to setup the definition file, may have to alter the scriptobject used if the ai is somehow different and have to check whether the af file for the unconscious/dead body is giving you good results
  • if not you have to check the latter on either
  • and some more tasks that I may have forgotten

So you see it is both difficult and time-consuming, and there are a lot of things that can and will go wrong on the way and that will need time fixing.

Not that you misunderstand me: I can understand the wish for more variety. But I sometimes wish that people would just google what they want to have (in your case for example something like "model creation") and would take a look of what this means before posting any requests. We need realistic goals ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Obsttorte

I just said it would be nice to have a better variety. I can understand the many hours it would take to do just one. And, If I knew how, or at least had a program that was capable, I would learn how. I would very much like to contribute and would if I could. I am building my second mission. I hope it goes better than my first. My first received 3 votes in the poll.

Obviously not very popular. But I digress. Thank you for your help in the past; it is invaluable. I do appreciate it.

@Springheel

Wow those are amazing, and just what I was talking about. Are they going to be in the next release?? (2.03)

I had seen a screenshot of someone's hedge, and it was incredible. I think it was biker's.

I am using one in my current mission; but even with patches it looks pretty sad. Oh well, I have to use what I've got.

You do incredible work. Thanks!

Edited by buck28

Are they going to be in the next release?? (2.03)

Yes, all my new assets from that thread will be in the 2.03 release (though some mappers with SVN access have added them directly to their missions already, as you noted).

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea whether this has been raised before or if this is the right place for it

I often have problems dropping off ladders when the only key which seems to work is the jump key and then the noise alerts the guards

Is there or could a key be added to drop off a ladder without jumping

In some situations going right to the bottom of a ladder releases it but in many cases it doesn't. Going into water is a prime example where the only way to get off it is to jump which then makes a noise

My biggest pet peeve which I wish was changed, is that you have to be right on top of something to frob it. It seems default is 100, but I think

150 would be nicer, and especially for loot a wider frob zone.

Don't change the AI one bit unless to improve them, it more skins more anims, more voices. I love the AI, some of the

most challenging I've come across in decades.

Ven

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I have no idea whether this has been raised before or if this is the right place for it

I often have problems dropping off ladders when the only key which seems to work is the jump key and then the noise alerts the guards

Is there or could a key be added to drop off a ladder without jumping

In some situations going right to the bottom of a ladder releases it but in many cases it doesn't. Going into water is a prime example where the only way to get off it is to jump which then makes a noise

Hold crouch.

• 4 weeks later...

I was recently playing a mission where I started with no weapons, but was soon able to pickpocket an arrow - then I suddenly had a bow, though only for that one shot. This means that the bow is not a a separate item from the ammunition, but should it be? In some missions you start unarmed and are supposed to look for weapons, but you only need to find an arrow to have a bow, and separating the two would allow a bit more flexibility in this regard. On the other hand, it may break some existing maps, so would it add unnecessary complexity for relatively little gain?

Intriguing suggestion. I've always thought of it as you always have a bow but you only get to see it when you take an arrow in hand, so it's never bothered me. But for some mission starts -- recently, Ulysses and Penny Dreadful 2:All the way up spring to mind -- you know you've been disarmed so I guess an ever-present bow isn't consistent with the story line. We can't change the set-up though. We'd have to add bows to all places where arrows can be found in missions where the player starts without a bow / arrow!