The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant crashing on manual DOOM 3 install?

Briareos H

I haven't found anything related to this problem by searching the forums.

I have finally decided to fire up DarkRadiant. All modules load correctly, but then it crashes to desktop right after selecting the game path.

My D3 path is : E:\Jeux\DOOM 3

TDM folder is : E:\Jeux\DOOM 3\darkmod

DR version is 1.2.2, 64-bit build (portable or installer)

TDM version is 1.02

O/S is Windows 7 64-bit

The bottom part of darkradiant.log is :

ModuleRegistry: dependencies satisfied, invoking initialiser for GameManager
GameManager: Scanning for game description files: C:/Program Files/DarkRadiant/games/
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: C:/Program Files/DarkRadiant/games/doom3-demo.game
XMLRegistry: Importing XML file: C:/Program Files/DarkRadiant/games/doom3.game
GameManager: Found game definitions: 
 Doom 3
 Doom 3 Demo

GameManager: Selected game type: Doom 3
GameManager: Querying Windows Registry for game path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\id\Doom 3\InstallPath
Win32Registry: Could not open registry key: SOFTWARE\id\Doom 3
GameManager: Windows Registry returned result: 

It seems to end after the search for registry keys.

I installed Doom 3 manually, so I have no keys in the registry. Is it possible that DR would crash because of that?

Is there a way to circumvent this problem?

EDIT : I tried renaming DOOM 3 to DOOM3, same problem, so it's not coming from the space in the name. I'd also create a fake reg key, unfortunately I don't know what type and what contents for the SOFTWARE/id/Doom 3 key.

Edited by Briareos H

I can confirm this - forgot to report it last week after installing Win7

What you can do in the mean time is play around 'til it lets you get into DR normally then set the path manually; If you set the path manually when it cant detect it, it will still crash.

If you could get a but report up on http://bugs.angua.at/ If you don't have the time/effort, let me know and I'll sort it out.

I'll report've reported the bug. By the way, I've just created an InstallPath string value with my D3 path within the Doom 3 key and DR finally found the game and started. Glad it was just a matter of creating the right registry key.

Edited by Briareos H

So what can I do to reproduce that? Which DR version are you using?

I tried renaming my regular C:\Games\Doom3 folder so that DarkRadiant cannot find it upon start, and when the pop up is appearing asking for the game path I pointed DR to D:\Games\Doom3test instead (where I have my second D3 setup), which seems to work fine.

I don't have any registry keys on my system, btw.

DR version is 1.2.2, amd64 build. Installer or portable packages exhibit the same behaviour.

I can reproduce it (100% chance) with the following :

• Remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\id\Doom 3 key;
  • Empty the C:\Users\{username}\DarkRadiant folder;
  • Start DR, open the path selection dialog, choose Doom 3, enter the correct path;
  • Click OK.

Edited by Briareos H

DR version is 1.2.2, amd64 build. Installer or portable packages exhibit the same behaviour.

I can reproduce it (100% chance) with the following :

• Remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ id\Doom 3 key;
  • Empty the C:\Users\{username}\ DarkRadiant folder;
  • Start DR, open the path selection dialog, choose Doom 3, enter the correct path;
  • Click OK.

No luck here. Maybe the issue is not occurring in my 1.3.0 development build anymore?

Yeah it's cool. Until then, for future reference by people having the same problem:

1. Start>Run>regedit
  2. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, right-click on SOFTWARE > New > Key
  3. Type 'id', right-click on the new key > New > Key
  4. Type 'Doom 3', right-click on the new key > New > String Value
  5. Type 'InstallPath', double-click the new value
  6. Type the path to your Doom 3 folder
  7. Launch DarkRadiant

I think a technical support sub-forum would be great as crashes,black screens, install problems seem to overflood the main forums.

Also i think its kinda alarming for new ones to the mod who come here to look for infos only to see that crash logs are allways floating on top of forums.