The Dark Mod Forums

FM: Awaiting the Storm by HappyCheeze (2010/05/22)

Fidcal

Yeah I had that plant one too... probably just didn't notice the other. 1.02.

While I'm mentioning little things:

Also had something glitching through the wall at the very bottom in the most southwesterly corner of the top of the inn.

Think that the lower case "t" in the font used by most of the readables in this mission separates itself too much from the letters that follow; read "collector" as collect or", for example.

If you wall out the front door of the inn and look slightly to the left and up at that building there is a definite diagonal "hole" in the upper floor.

The dude with a name's bed (mattress part) was non-collision; tossed him and a couple of others right down to the frame. Also, this reminds me to ask, is it just that I this non-collision mattress made the collision part of the bed low enough that I could climb up while holding a body... or is their an attribute that can be set with certain entity's (esp. "bodies") that allows for mantling/climbing while shouldering those entities? Because I like the idea that a particular shouldered body might be manageable in that way while another might not... weight/size being a (visual) clue that explains this.

Meant to mention another good thing about this mission: The soundscape seemed to work perfectly. On and off of the speakers with the opening and closing and entering and leaving of the areas that they seemed to be set for... I think this has been a general problem for many of the missions -- and I think Fidcal/Cheeze have worked it out?!

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

This FM was begun so long ago that many things have changed in the meantime. I recall that we had trouble with the sleeper so I rigged up something techy which probably became obsolete later - probably involved a no collision bed I can't recall. Any models that came out black were probably because in the meantime we re-organized textures, renamed stuff so that got broke and being so dark we missed it in testing.

Yeah I had that plant one too... probably just didn't notice the other. 1.02.

Any models that came out black were probably because in the meantime we re-organized textures, renamed stuff so that got broke and being so dark we missed it in testing.

I guessed that, but want to be sure of it. thanx;)

edit:grammar

Edited by SiyahParsomen

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I haven't been on in a while due to school and other real life stuff wacko.gif

What a warm reception!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

Like Fidcal said, it was initally completed in about 3 months or so (I think it was for a mini-contest) and I kept putting it off for other stuff and finally gave Fidcal the go to start this thread much later down the road laugh.gif

It feels good to know that I've actually made a complete mission, most of the maps in my folder are incomplete or just concepts I had to get down and left alone.

My favorite part to work on was the cellar.

I'd like to thank Fidcal for testing and AI pathfinding assistance and adding some minor tweaks (like the street window to the right of the player start). Mortem for the lightning effects and Springheel for the custom sign and readables corrections.

And whoever else helped test and gave feedback.

And to you all, who played it and enjoyed it. wub.gif

• Like 1

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

No, there is no room there. Used to be a simple bedrom but there was a rendering bug which was more trouble than the room was worth so it was removed but the static door left.

Yes, this frustrating door looked like the skybox was leaking through it, and after many attempts to fix it I finally just made it static.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

• 1 month later...

A really nice FM, great job. Almost got all the loot. Enjoyed sneaking around the streets. Maybe it would have been nice to have a few more buildings that you could go an explore. Didn't get the FPS drop. By the way is it me or is there a speed increase in TDM 1.02? Even with Heart of Lone Salvation I didn't get any FPS drops and I'm still playing with the same settings.

Fun little mission. I finally got to play through.

Only took me 16 min on the last run through (forgot to save after I had sneaked around the whole place for awhile), on reload I made pretty good time.

Still about 100 short on loot though.

I had 20+ FPS in the beginning but a pretty fast machine. Only had once where I turned fast that it hitched a little. Once in the tunnel it was 30-60.

The rooms were a bit small, actually had to BJ a couple guys to get to their loot. Tried a few times with quick saves but could never get close enough. That's my only complaint, I wish a few of them moved more or there was a bit more manuever room. But for a small quick build it's no big deal anyway.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

A really nice FM, great job. Almost got all the loot. Enjoyed sneaking around the streets. Maybe it would have been nice to have a few more buildings that you could go an explore. Didn't get the FPS drop. By the way is it me or is there a speed increase in TDM 1.02? Even with Heart of Lone Salvation I didn't get any FPS drops and I'm still playing with the same settings.

There were code changes in 1.02 that might prevent some slowdown effects on some computers.

• 2 months later...

Nice little mission, loved the heavy rain at the beginning area. Is there an engine-problem with the rain? Because in the inn-area the rain was barely noticeable. I saw this problem in NHAT3/3´s Mansion-area too. Or is the rain decreasable due to performance-reasons but not very good controllable?

Due to my slow pace and some other non-mission problems I had I spent 1:19 hours in there and I felt the urge to blackjack everyone. I noticed the two guards outside in the streets were much over-sensitive? At least the one with the torch but the torch itself maybe was my problem...

Anyway, I very likely suffered again from the 'missing one item'-curse, I miss exactly 100 gold-pounds. I liked the inside and the bluish tone in the darkness and I was even so blackjack-angry that I found out one can knockout the rats!! Sadly I must´ve blackjacked her twice so she was dead. :( If my girlfriend finds out she´s gonna kill me for it! :blush:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Rain falls from particle patches but it can be tricky to get the density right and place them without drips intruding indoors. When I did Thief's Den I seem to recall the density increased if I shrunk the patch but I don't think it occurred to me that maybe all I had to do was change the texture scale to natural.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks pmw57.

You're welcome. I'm working my way through the missions listed at http://thief.wikia.c...FM_The_Dark_Mod, primarily because they already have loot list sections but with no content, that is, until I get done with them :)

For 'bridge' I would put 'tunnel'.

For 'best room' I would put 'Dealer's bedroom' or 'bedroom nearest dining room'

'Room nearest kitchen' is probably OK. I can't remember what it is exactly.

The tunnel is a much better location description, and I've gone for 'Dealer's room' and 'Guest room nearest kitchen'

• 5 months later...